FlorbFnarb

The accuracy in this game seems physically impossible

The closer a target is, the more the shells disperse.  Seriously, when I shoot at something 12 km distant, and then close to like 4 km, I don't hit any more frequently.  Battleships seem to be the worst offenders in this.  I regularly will fire at a target only 3 km distant, and see every single shell spread out impossibly wide, like they're fired from a blunderbuss or something.  The range and lead are right, but shots go left, right, over, and under the target.

I have fired at a target 3 km distant and showing me its side, and had 100% of the shells from my salvo miss the target.  Every last one.  If they were consistently that inaccurate, it would be literally impossible to fight at 10 km distance or more - you'd hit about one shell out of a hundred.

I don't get it.  I really wish I understood what was going on, because shots at 3 km should be almost guaranteed to hit unless the range or lead is miscalculated, but when I see shots go over, under, left and right of the target, nothing can cause that but insane dispersion.

WTF is going on with this game?  People tell me speed doesn't affect the accuracy of the guns - does anything else?

12 minutes ago, RollerCoaster47 said:

You've only played low tier garbage, of course the accuracy is bad. It gets better once you get to the higher tiers.

I understand that the accuracy is bad.  My point is that being closer doesn't make it any more likely to hit, which is impossible unless they've done some stupid system to make it that way.  I regularly shoot at targets in the Kawachi at 3-4 km and miss with every shell because of dispersion.

47 minutes ago, Assassin7 said:

low tier BBs are all innacurate as all hell no matter the range. once you get to tier 5+ its all gud. 

Right, but my point is that if the dispersion were consistent, the accuracy at 3 km is still so bad that it should be almost impossible to hit anything at 10 km, yet it isn't.  It seems like there's roughly the same odds of making a hit at 10 km as at 3 km, which should be impossible if the dispersion were constant.

The Kawachi is literally unplayable though.  Ridiculously short range, slow as the other BBs, and the worst accuracy of any of the BBs as far as I can tell.  You're lucky to get a single shell to hit from a full broadside.

23 minutes ago, FlorbFnarb said:

The Kawachi is literally unplayable though.  Ridiculously short range, slow as the other BBs, and the worst accuracy of any of the BBs as far as I can tell.  You're lucky to get a single shell to hit from a full broadside.

Kawachi still has the old reload times, too. From when BBs got their balanced adjusted way back in 2015.

I feel it's the worst performing of current tier 3 battleships.

26 minutes ago, FlorbFnarb said:

Right, but my point is that if the dispersion were consistent, the accuracy at 3 km is still so bad that it should be almost impossible to hit anything at 10 km, yet it isn't.  It seems like there's roughly the same odds of making a hit at 10 km as at 3 km, which should be impossible if the dispersion were constant.

I dunno. its just low tiers.

also I ground out the Kawachi for a friend, yeah, accuracy was aids and it was slow as balls. but I finished the grind with a 100% win rate:

Qfe1uni.png

memes

There are actually three dispersion bands, and different calculations used for each. I think it's "long range", 5km - 1km, and point fucking blank. But people with better memories should check it for me.

Also, yes, the accuracy in this game is physically impossible. The 25% hit rates we get with BB main guns is utterly ridiculous, and we should be happy to manage 5%.

Also, you're going through typical: new player to the game gripes.

Kawachi is hilariously bad, basically a memeboat. South Carolina is pretty ridic though, even with Nassau and K.Albert existing - basically only get in her when friends play their tier 3s for the most part, but it's still enough to show what a BB that can actually place shots at that tier does. I'm waiting to see if Copy Dreadnought is as good as SC.

No-one answered original question: Close range accuracy is bad on purpose to prevent ships being too lethal at close ranges. Thats why spread (relative to range) is lot higher shooting close range than when shooting long ranges. Bathoz explained bit on his post, accuracy works different on different range bands.

Yes spread gets smaller at highter tier ships but basic idea stays, close range volleys get artifically larger spread.

9 hours ago, bathoz said:

There are actually three dispersion bands, and different calculations used for each. I think it's "long range", 5km - 1km, and point fucking blank. But people with better memories should check it for me.

Also, yes, the accuracy in this game is physically impossible. The 25% hit rates we get with BB main guns is utterly ridiculous, and we should be happy to manage 5%.

3 hours ago, sahtila said:

No-one answered original question: Close range accuracy is bad on purpose to prevent ships being too lethal at close ranges. Thats why spread (relative to range) is lot higher shooting close range than when shooting long ranges. Bathoz explained bit on his post, accuracy works different on different range bands.

Yes spread gets smaller at highter tier ships but basic idea stays, close range volleys get artifically larger spread.

THAT'S IT.  That's exactly what I'm seeing.  It's annoying as hell.  I have problems hitting in the thing at long range, so I close to make it easier, and the guns just get magically less accurate and throw shots into the water in order to force me to miss.

I mean, I get that it's a game and only so much realism can be demanded, but forcing a given hit rate like that is only going to give fuel to the OMG GAEM IZ RIGGED types.

I knew I wasn't imagining it.

9 hours ago, bathoz said:

Oh, I know.  Next on my list to complain about:

1. SBs are close to being automatic damage that's high-impossible to avoid, and

2. AA fire seems radically ineffective, and a full-health TB squadron will always make it through a ship's AA guns and make its torp run.  TBs can be stopped by fighters, or by massed ships, but there is literally no chance of a single ship's AA fire stopping them before launching torps.

3. Matches where half or more of each team is BBs are stupid as hell and seem to make a lot of cruisers semi-irrelevant.

9 hours ago, Mnemon said:

Kawachi is hilariously bad, basically a memeboat. South Carolina is pretty ridic though, even with Nassau and K.Albert existing - basically only get in her when friends play their tier 3s for the most part, but it's still enough to show what a BB that can actually place shots at that tier does. I'm waiting to see if Copy Dreadnought is as good as SC.

5 hours ago, MagicalFlyingFox said:

How 2 play Kawachi in 3 steps.

1. Point front to enemy
2. Shoot as much as HE as you can and get into secondary battery range.
3. Die and pick a cruiser to play before repeating step 1 in the Kawachi again. 

Yes.  It's the worst ship I've played by far - far worse than even the low tier British cruisers.  Haven't tried the HE thing though; given the uselessness of the guns, I might have to try it.

Florb, as for AA, it begins to improve massively at tier 5, on almost all ships. As for accuracy, dispersion is linear with distance, and low tier BBs tend to have lower sigma, which means higher chance of flying towards the outside of the dispersion zone. There's no solution to idiots, that's a given, and you should expect that from an online mp game.

24 minutes ago, SoliDeoGloria said:

Florb, as for AA, it begins to improve massively at tier 5, on almost all ships. As for accuracy, dispersion is linear with distance, and low tier BBs tend to have lower sigma, which means higher chance of flying towards the outside of the dispersion zone. There's no solution to idiots, that's a given, and you should expect that from an online mp game.

1. Yeah, bad AA is probably to be expected from older ships anyway.

2. That's what I was afraid of; a clunky system for accuracy to artificially force BBs to stay way back.  It's no wonder the idiots think BBs are supposed to find a corner and snipe at max range.  Convincing people otherwise is like pulling teeth.

3. Yeah, idiots are a problem.  Had a guy complain because we didn't park at spawn all match.

4. I wish they forced matches to be like 2-3 BBs, 1 or 2 carriers, and a mix of cruisers and DDs.  It's insanely annoying to play one of four cruisers in a match with 8 BBs per side and have every BB in range focus you instead of your team's BBs just because they want the kill.

BBs are going to become way more popular once the British lines comes out.  Expect games with 6-8 BBs a side as everyone tries them.  It will die down over time.

You don't want games with more than 3 DDs, especially at higher tiers...

In regards to inferior AA, get yourself a Cleveland, spec it for further AA and just laugh at CVs.

1 hour ago, Hellvn said:

BBs are going to become way more popular once the British lines comes out.  Expect games with 6-8 BBs a side as everyone tries them.  It will die down over time.

You don't want games with more than 3 DDs, especially at higher tiers...

In regards to inferior AA, get yourself a Cleveland, spec it for further AA and just laugh at CVs.

Once in a while I see teams with 4/5 DDs per side.  I don't mind it too much, although I play cruisers a lot more than BBs, so I suppose my tastes are biased in that regard.  I agree it could be annoying to have a match where the team is half BBs and half DDs with only a couple CAs sprinkled in.

5 hours ago, FlorbFnarb said:

THAT'S IT.  That's exactly what I'm seeing.  It's annoying as hell.  I have problems hitting in the thing at long range, so I close to make it easier, and the guns just get magically less accurate and throw shots into the water in order to force me to miss.

I mean, I get that it's a game and only so much realism can be demanded, but forcing a given hit rate like that is only going to give fuel to the OMG GAEM IZ RIGGED types.

I knew I wasn't imagining it.

Oh, I know.  Next on my list to complain about:

1. SBs are close to being automatic damage that's high-impossible to avoid, and

2. AA fire seems radically ineffective, and a full-health TB squadron will always make it through a ship's AA guns and make its torp run.  TBs can be stopped by fighters, or by massed ships, but there is literally no chance of a single ship's AA fire stopping them before launching torps.

3. Matches where half or more of each team is BBs are stupid as hell and seem to make a lot of cruisers semi-irrelevant.

#1 you avoid by simply not getting in range of their secondaries. Even in a cruiser if you're angled you can also bounce a lot of secondaries because most of them are 150mm or smaller.

2: AA at low tier is really bad. It gets better as you go up the tiers, and get more captain points. My Amagi or Yamato will kill several planes in a squadren before they get there to drop, but these ships arent renowned for their AA. An AA ship like the American high tier BBs shred planes. Get a squadren within range of an Iowas AA for even a second and you'll lose a plane. Keep it over for 3 seconds and you'll lose 2 or 3 attempt to fly a squadren over an Iowa and you'll lose it.  I've watched a tier 10 CV dump his entire compliment on an Iowa (it was a close game and he had no other choice) and lost most of his planes to that single iowa. Like 20 of them. So it gets better.

3 happens in all games, not just ships. Its retards being retarded.

1 hour ago, Assassin7 said:

#1 you avoid by simply not getting in range of their secondaries. Even in a cruiser if you're angled you can also bounce a lot of secondaries because most of them are 150mm or smaller.

2: AA at low tier is really bad. It gets better as you go up the tiers, and get more captain points. My Amagi or Yamato will kill several planes in a squadren before they get there to drop, but these ships arent renowned for their AA. An AA ship like the American high tier BBs shred planes. Get a squadren within range of an Iowas AA for even a second and you'll lose a plane. Keep it over for 3 seconds and you'll lose 2 or 3 attempt to fly a squadren over an Iowa and you'll lose it.  I've watched a tier 10 CV dump his entire compliment on an Iowa (it was a close game and he had no other choice) and lost most of his planes to that single iowa. Like 20 of them. So it gets better.

3 happens in all games, not just ships. Its retards being retarded.

1. Sorry, by SB I didn't mean Secondary Battery, I meant dive bombers.  The USN called their dive bombers Scout Bombers, or SBs; the Dauntless was known as the SBD, the Helldiver was the SB2C, etc. and so forth.

2. Good to know.  Makes sense too; no reason for a ship built in 1913 to have extensive AA.

3.  Yeah.  Same shit happened in WoT too; matches that were 75% HTs.