Crossfader

HMS Nelson

What does power creep look like... HMS Nelson.

Its stupidly good if you know how to use it. The guns are great, AP is very very strong, slow velocity means getting citadels on cruisers is very easy, the accuracy with the module is god tier, feels similar to Yamato.

The HE is absurdly good, 6900 alpha with 46% fire change is ridicules. The armor is decent if properly angled, vulnerable to HE spam, but with the insane heal (up too 178k HP max tanking) it does not matter that much, plus the detection range of 12.8km is very good for tier 7.

The only real down sides are slowish speed (24 knots, not too bad), high place citadel (wow a BB that actually gets punished for showing broadside, amazing) and bad AA. While the AA DPS is good, most of it is under 2.5km, so its rather useless, and the torp belt isn't the greatest

Honestly, when i look at the Hood, the only thing it has going for it is the speed and the stupid Defensive AA (which works half the time because the rocket mounts get destroyed so easily), the Nelson is just superior, makes the Hood feel like a bad tier 6

Its more enjoyable to play then the Missouri (shooting tier 5's feels very balanced), just because high tier is very boring alot of the time(10/10 maps design), it does makes far less credits, but is half the free exp cost of the Missouri.

Don't forget that it can be devstriked through its 25mm bow too with AP.  While Nelson has good firepower and that heal, it just feels so clumsy for me with her speed and rudder.

9 hours ago, Tedster59 said:

Don't forget that it can be devstriked through its 25mm bow too with AP.  While Nelson has good firepower and that heal, it just feels so clumsy for me with her speed and rudder.

Since all the other BB at tier 7 have the same bow, i didnt mention it

1 hour ago, Crossfader said:

Gneisanau has 70mm bow plating protecting most or all front citadel I thing?  Is it even possible to shoot over 70mm bow plating but still hit citadel front, at close ranges shells will travel almost horizontal.

Gamesmodel3d Nelson model seem to be bugged/old, citadel extends outside ship, but still looks like it has highest/largest citadel front of all tier 7's?  Colorado about same but 40mm more armor (343mm), no clue how much it helps against typical opponents.  Nagato has  only 289mm but citadel is lot smaller and low in hull but looks pretty vulnerable too.

10 hours ago, Crossfader said:

Its stupidly good if you know how to use it.

Which most peeps will never do - so balance.

It seems to be an easy ship to play. Spamming HE most of the time is rewarded. Sitting mostly bow on is too.

5 hours ago, sahtila said:

Nagato has  only 289mm but citadel is lot smaller and low in hull but looks pretty vulnerable too.

Nagato can be easily punished showing broadside. It's imperative to keep your armor angled. :)

9 hours ago, Crossfader said:

except those don't combine it with a citadel the size of pre-change Iowa's.

Bough it, played like ten games. Initial impressions:

- Slowish as expected

- Feels ship turns decently fast after rudder is shifted, nowhere near Warspite but still not bad. OK maybe its just average, feels good after playing high tier German BB's.

- Gun layout is really good when advancing. Bad when fleeing, especially gun angles firing backwards are pretty bad.

- Special for this ship, UI has no indicator for when last turret is blocked from firing by front turrets, bit irritating never knowing if ship is angled enough for 3 turret fire or if only front 2 turrets fire.

- AP feels very good, enough so that using HE feels waste despite really good HE/fire chances. Getting long range citadels against enemy BB's is not rare.

- Ship is little on soft side being tier 7 BB. Especially agains enemy BB's firing AP ammo. Sides are soft, and even head-on feels I get big AP hits/citadeled now and then. Huge heal ability makes HE/Fires less dangerous.

Overall, first impression is ship is strong but not overpowered.

19 hours ago, Rodrigopine said:

Nagato can be easily punished showing broadside. It's imperative to keep your armor angled. :)

Ye those stats I listed were only about citadeling ships through bow head on.

I played my Colorado for a little bit last night, the HE spam is real from them and I just let myself but because AR lulz. They appear soft in the way Colorado is, easy to citadel bow on or broadside but angled is a different story. Thanks to the HE spam though I found them easy to deal with but I could see myself really liking it when I get one

The ship is very positional. Most BBs, you have a reasonable window to evac from T7 and up because of 30 knot plus speed. plus once you were angled you could bounce most damage as you disengaged. This ship is slow, so once you commit, you better not have screwed up or you aren't getting out alive.

This is perfect for the damage averse chai snipe masses. The downside is 18.2 km range. Most other BB's are 20+ km range. So you need to be careful. Islands are your friends.

13 hours ago, sahtila said:

- Special for this ship, UI has no indicator for when last turret is blocked from firing by front turrets, bit irritating never knowing if ship is angled enough for 3 turret fire or if only front 2 turrets fire.

Surely you could look at the reloading bars to see if they are green (ready to fire) or greyed out to know if the third turret can fire or not?

10 hours ago, Manic_Wombat said:

Surely you could look at the reloading bars to see if they are green (ready to fire) or greyed out to know if the third turret can fire or not?

I think so. It is not a problem for me.

@OnboardG1 - do you ever post replays or videos of your gameplay?  I would watch them if they are available.  I burned a ton of free xp doing the Russian DD grind a while back, or I would already be driving the Nelson to check it out.

On 8/25/2017 at 11:58 PM, SoliDeoGloria said:

I noticed when trying to get the third gun around, they are vulnerable to citadels, unless that was a shell that found it's way there through the bow.

There are a few bits on the bow where you can get clocked through the nose. Dead on the nose is the nastiest but if you get hit above the belt below a turret it can go through too. I had a swine of a Gneisenau who kept missing apart from the one shot that would somehow home in on the citadel. 

On 8/25/2017 at 7:33 PM, BiggieD61 said:

@OnboardG1 - do you ever post replays or videos of your gameplay?  I would watch them if they are available.  I burned a ton of free xp doing the Russian DD grind a while back, or I would already be driving the Nelson to check it out.

Sure but I have no idea where to host them since Wowsreplays doesn't work properly on my browser and the last site I used for bulk uploads was megaupload (shows how up to date I am that I didn't know it was RIP).

Anyway, I'll let my stats speak for how much I like Nellie the Elephant (I'm sure it won't last but it's currently my highest average damage ship above Yamato):

aEBmtcx.png?1