Sign in to follow this  
Folterknecht

Mics on Gaming headsets and on motherboards suck?! A solution for ~8$

The sound solutions on motherboards and headsets are improving when it comes to playback the last years, but audio capture is still a big issue. Here is a solution for around 8$ that should at least improve the situation for many users.

While I don't Skype that often and my Teamspeak/Discord use is also very low lately, I'm aware that my Corsair Vengeance 1500 produce great sound (in stereo mode - forget that software genereated 5.1/7.1 nonsense) but the microphone is subpar producing a clear high frequency beep noise in the background. That's why I bought a ModMic 4 from Antlion two or three years ago.

That improved my mic-situation quite a bit totally eliminating that high frequency beeping (that I also hear in my cans). Thing is now I was back to capturing my voice using the onboard soundcard of my ASRock Fatal1ty Z77 Professional with it's Realtek ALC898 codec.  It's not that bad in combination with the Modmic but now I can pick up some "white noise" in the background.

A few weeks ago I stumbled across a new gadget in some PC techforum proclaimed to be the small (coin sized) and cheap solution (8$) for people who are using a mic plugged into the back of their PCs. So I bought it ...

The EE803 from TeckNet

s-l500u7u8c.jpg

Plugging it into my PC, I think this is as good as is it can get with my current microphone. I recorded 3 short audio samples with OBS for comparison. Please keep in mind that the location I'm recording had a strong echo - this is not the fault of the involved audio devices or mics!

Corsair Vengeance 1500 (USB headset with integrated mic) - "Gaming" micro aka junk ...

ModMic 4 plugged into my motherboard ALC898  - dull/muffled

ModMic 4 plugged into the EE803 from TeckNet - best of the 3, clear not muffled and no strange noise in the background

What do you guys think?

Edit: Also great if you busted your Mic-jack on your laptop.

43 minutes ago, BlackAdder said:

This is it?

Might try, it's not that expensive. 

Not 100% sure - MPN seems to be 846947 (manufacturer part nr???).

What kind of mic are you using? If that is total trash ... your improvements might be minimal - nonexistent. Though on notebooks I personally expect the best results.

12 minutes ago, Folterknecht said:

Note 100% sure - MPN seems to be 846947 (manufacturer part nr???).

What kind of mic are you using? If that is total trash ... your improvements might be minimal - nonexistent. Though on notebooks I personally expect the best results.

Currently none, but i'm curious for all around solution. It's really cheap alternative for dead audio cards (especially on laptops). So this is more like a permanent solution for every broken card than my personal need. 

Where did you get yours? (link)

https://www.amazon.de/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=TeckNet+UA110&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3ATeckNet+UA110

!!! I only tested the microphone port - don't have headphones with 3.5mm plug !!!

Though still better than dead ports on a motherboard probably

1 hour ago, lordawesome7 said:

i don't have any issues with my mic; hyper X cloud 2 are the best, memory foam for comfort and a strong detachable mic

7,1 is sketchy for music though.

1 hour ago, lordawesome7 said:

i don't have any issues with my mic; hyper X cloud 2 are the best, memory foam for comfort and a strong detachable mic

This is intended for those that have problems ... . That aside I find the hyper X cloud II mic very narrow and nasal sounding, though perfectly understandble.

16 hours ago, Fulcrous said:

7,1 is sketchy for music though.

im not much of an audiophile, so it doesn't really bother me

personally comfort and durability is more important to me and it really delivers in that aspect; however their are plenty of headphones/sets that would likely boast better audio (though you'd probably need a better audio card as well and i could care less tbh) at the cost of desired durability and comfort

Just now, lordawesome7 said:

im not much of an audiophile, so it doesn't really bother me

personally comfort and durability is more important to me and it really delivers in that aspect; however their are plenty of headphones/sets that would likely boast better audio (though you'd probably need a better audio card as well and i could care less tbh) at the cost of desired durability and comfort

I'm not an audiophile and its definitely noticeable when turning on 7.1. Beyond that its fine barring bass.

16 hours ago, Folterknecht said:

This is intended for those that have problems ... . That aside I find the hyper X cloud II mic very narrow and nasal sounding, though perfectly understandble.

i been if thats really an issue, the mic is detachable so you can use a better one should that be an issue

2 minutes ago, Fulcrous said:

I'm not an audiophile and its definitely noticeable when turning on 7.1. Beyond that its fine barring bass.

7.1 barely adds anything besides marginally more surrounding noise from my experience

i honestly forget to turn it on most of the time since its so insignificant