Sign in to follow this  
BiggieD61

HMS Iron Duke - first thoughts

I was pretty impressed by one aspect of the Iron Duke; the gun accuracy is off the charts.  I played 3 games today, and was quite happy with how many long range shots I hit.  In one game, a Konigsberg was trying to charge me and get into torp range.  He was at 7.5km roughly and I was able to get all 5 turrets on him.  I fired each turret separately, not wanting to let him dodge a full salvo.  Each round hit, 10 for 10, right where I pointed them.  I had HE loaded from a DD I had just killed, and he went from full health to under 1K and burning by the time I pulled off to angle away.  I am used to low tier BB's shooting Roman Candles in every direction, but these tracked straight and true. 

Small sample size of course, but it was a good sign anyway.  The Seal Clubber of Choice for all those Iron Dukes was my Belfast, those Brit BB's are good at setting people on fire and catching fire themselves.

The Iron Duke feels pretty good. So far I've been mainly firing AP and unless it's a heavily angled tier 7 BB, I think AP is the way to go.  I've won several duels comfortably against other Dukes that were using nothing but HE.

I've been going about 70% HE, and have been doing really well. Most 100k plus damage reach battle. The key is to know when to switch between shells. It's even more fun in a division. One person starts two does, the enemy repairs, and the the second division mate sets them on fire twice more. 

I am doing ok with it too. The biggest issue I have if you get in very close where I would normally get 80 percent hit rate, I am lucky to get 50 percent. The 1.5 vertical sigma rears its ugly head. I think the US T8+ BB's have spoiled me. (Well Warspite, Arizone, and Hood too).   The ships turns like a brick as well.

Good dreadnought.

I'm sure I'm firing too much HE. But the AP often feels underwhelming – even though the stats say it should be more than good enough. I guess as the Iron Duke is still in the matchmaking where it's HE can do horrible things to cruisers, it doesn't matter so much.

I'm not entirely certain why it has a reduced rate of fire compared to its contemporaries, but that doesn't seem to hold it back too much.

I'm still not entirely on the "it's OP" bandwagon, but it's definitely not rubbish.

I finished the grind on the weekend and moved on to the Lizzie ( that's the Queen Elizabeth to you non commonwealth types).

The ship is OK. I still stand by my opinion that it should use AP 90%of the time.  The HE can wreck cruisers but the AP will delete them. I think I have more Dev Strikes in these ships than any others.

Every time I have had to fight an HE spamming Duke (or Orion ) I have won the duel convincingly with AP.