Sign in to follow this  
RollerCoaster47

The HE Spammer: King George V

So I told myself I would start at the King George V for the British battleships because 1) I had the free exp to do it and 2) the Queen Elizabeth looks like a slightly poorer version of the Warspite and I've played the shit out of my Warspite already. Looking over the stats once I free experienced the modules a few things stuck out to me:

• The AA is quite pitiful and in my opinion it's not worth trying to buff with any upgrades or captain skills
  • The ship is 25 mm of armor EVERYWHERE aside from the typical places such as the main armor belt and turrets
  • At 6100 alpha damage, 41% fire chance, and a 25 second reload, this thing is the king of battleship HE spam at tier 7
  • Full concealment build brings the detectability down to 12.2 km which is not too shabby for a tier 7 battleship

I played 10 games in it tonight and after some initial dissatisfaction with it, I think it's alright. The AP on this ship is very fickle and generally I only load it when I know I'm going to get the broadside of a cruiser or battleship at short to medium range. The 14" guns just aren't good enough to deal with angled battleships and even many angled cruisers since the 14" guns can't overmatch the 25 mm of bow armor many tier 7 and higher cruisers get. This is the first ever battleship where I actually would recommend spamming HE most of the time because it hits hard and sets fires often. I routinely do 7 or 8k volleys with this ship's HE and even had a 13k volley on a Colorado.

That being said, this is not a BB you can tank in very well. The 25 mm of armor everywhere means larger caliber cruiser guns and smaller caliber guns using IFHE will shit on you. I had an Atlanta sitting behind an island spamming me with IFHE and he took away over half my health in no time at all. Not to mention every tier 7 and higher battleship is packing 15" or larger guns (aside from the Scharnhorst) along with a few tier 6s so don't think you're going to win a dual swapping AP shells with them unless they're a Nagato giving full broadside. My best advice for this ship is load HE often, play it as a heavy cruiser, at least early on in the battle, and you'll enjoy it. If you try to play this thing like a brawling battleship where you're getting up close and personal with the enemy, especially early on in the battle, and attempting to tank their shells (like I did in my first couple games) it's going to be a very frustrating grind for you. Get focus fired by multiple ships at the beginning and you will watch your HP melt away.

Did they drop the guns down to 14" on this because it's supposed to be a Battle Cruiser?  Also, how was the speed / maneuverability of the ship?

The T8 is the KGV as it was meant to be in the initial design phase, with triple 15" guns. Lion (and Vanguard's hull) was effectively a super KGV with 16 inch guns and enhanced armor protection. One of the reasons it took so damned long to build and only Vanguard was finished was that they kept updating the design during construction as a result of wartime design experiences. 

My (and I suspect many other's) biggest complaint with BB players is the number of them who redline and fire HE at max range.

So what did WG do? They make a line of BBs purposefully designed to sit back and fire HE at max range. doh!