Sign in to follow this  
kaneaaa

Need advice for fv215b tactics

Still can't play this thing after a while. Could some experienced players give some advice on opening plays and roles. Also, how much gold is needed and which situations does it shine in and which to avoid. I'm talking really about all tier 10 battles mainly. Also lots of people don't like it. Is it underpowered? Is it that useful in current meta? 

19 minutes ago, kaneaaa said:

Also, how much gold is needed and which situations does it shine in and which to avoid. I'm talking really about all tier 10 battles mainly. Also lots of people don't like it. Is it underpowered? Is it that useful in current meta? 

I carry 17 AP /15 APCR /3 HESH. You'd be surprised how quickly you can go through the AP, and with the number of Maus and Type 5s and other balanced heavy tanks you'll encounter, it's ever important to make sure your shots not only hit but penetrate and deal damage. The quick reload of the FV215b means it's fairly easy to switch to what you need asap, unlike most other HTs.
Those 3 HESH rounds are for the occasional Grille 15s, Strvs, and SPGs. 120mm avg HE penetration is nothing to scoff about.

Yes the FV215b is underpowered. 

The current meta? It may be too soon to say, but with the French TDs making corridors campier, new Chinese TDs, the IS7 getting buffed and the Maus and Type 5 barely nerfed, we'll just have to see.

I enjoy the tank (despite my crappy 2.6k dpg), it's a mid to long range fighter, extreme dpm and handling with an extremely bad hull..

Go hulldown whenever you can, abuse your 7 degrees of depression and spam dem wn8 shells..

I carry 10 AP and 1 hesh, the rest is apcr.. Imo it doesn't have enough shells to afford taking more than 1/2 HE shells, and even then you'll most likely never fire those rounds..

410m base view range is good but I'd recommend using vents to maximize handling and dpm.

Although I have full firefighting trained I don't run food on the tank, every shot to the hull sets it on fire and I don't want to drop the medkit..

Sidescraping doesn't work because it has a huge weakspot right under the turret, and it's a well known weakspot (the turret roof is overmatched by 130mm+ guns if I'm right)..

Also small calibre fire will light you like a candle..

Overall: stay at range, use your superb gun to chai snipe at early/mid game, or use your rear mounted turret to poke at weird angles minimizing your exposure..

Agree with everyone who's cautioned against too much HESH, I had to rejig my ammo loadout after this game yesterday (video queued here) where I nearly ran out. Excuse any poor decision making: 1. I'm a scrub 2. who'd been drinking and 3. it was past my bedtime. Obvious mistakes include not switching ammo when I should and bleeding too much too early.

Overall it's more an example of how forgiving the tank can be rather than how to play it, but eh.

Prediction: if GBs take off expect ammo capacity buffs.

Thanks for all the advice. Is the vehicle actually genuinely competitive? I feel though its on the verge of being a great unique tank, all the negatives are a bit too much in combination...

11 hours ago, kaneaaa said:

Thanks for all the advice. Is the vehicle actually genuinely competitive? I feel though its on the verge of being a great unique tank, all the negatives are a bit too much in combination...

It's one of those tanks that could work well, if the maps and matchmaking would be less biased towards heavily armored close ranged assaults. It really is a hulldown sniper.

On 2017/9/2 at 9:31 PM, woe2you said:

Prediction: if GBs take off expect ammo capacity buffs.

Good point, i'd probably hold off on using the FV215b in GB (uncheck that option if I do play the FV), since 35 is just not enough to stay in the fight for long (i say that like im expecting the FV215b to be able to survive that long :P )

According to WG they've tested and found no need for some sort of ammo resupply system. Either because most tanks didn't survive long enough for that to matter or they just use Maus and Strv103B

Why exactly GB battles would require more ammo? Yes there are more tanks on enemy team, but there are also more tanks shooting them. Average players should not need anymore ammo.

1 hour ago, HS5 said:

Why exactly GB battles would require more ammo? Yes there are more tanks on enemy team, but there are also more tanks shooting them. Average players should not need anymore ammo.

Not saying it's a problem that'll arise every game, but generally the top half of the team will have to carry the bottom half and that requires doing more damage than in 15v15. Tanks like the FV and the Bat have less carry potential in GBs.

I played it once in grand battles and didn't have any problem dealing 4k damage.

I just took shots that were 100% safe to hit the targets, the decent handling made it possible even at range.

But yeah, in some games it becomes a trouble, I just had a game on prok, I did 3.9k and ended up with 3 shells remaining (I missed a lot of fully aimed shots cuz raisins)..

I dont know why everyone says the fv215b is a mid to long range fighter. Sure it has a precise gun and nice view-range but from 3-marking it a month or two ago I felt that it really excells at close to mid-close range fighting against heavys.

What I found was very important to keep in mind:

1. You have a back-mounted turret and a slow turret traverse. So don't go in a close range brawl with meds.

Best example is serene coast: While brawling at C1 is usually the best thing you can do, a fv215b is pretty much useless there. However on the peninsula the fv215b can really shine.

2. You have a way faster reload and are mostly way more flexible then most heavys. Always trade at least 2 for 1. And position yourself in a way, that you can press the issue. (Aka not at the redline, where you can only shoot when the enemy is reloaded and wants to peek as well.

3. You dont have reliable armor - even hull-down, dont rely on the armor - Sometimes it can be best to peek completely sideways, rear first, to squeeze a shot out as fast as possible rather then trying to sidescrape.

4. You have a hughe amount of HP. Dont hesitate to trade it.

Regarding loadout: Rammer,vents,v-stabs, 16AP/16APCR/3HE and I ditched the med-kit for foods.

Other then that I can recommend anfield: