ThomChen114

STG Guard - worth the gold?

On 9/8/2017 at 4:57 AM, BlackAdder said:

Semi cancerous gun handling. But with equipment and food it's more tolerable. I hope they open exchange of premiums once again. 

Using food kinda defeats the purpose of premium credit whoring though. Especially if you're a green shitlord like myself that relies on credits for grinding.

12 minutes ago, crapcannon said:

Using food kinda defeats the purpose of premium credit whoring though. Especially if you're a green shitlord like myself that relies on credits for grinding.

That depends on how much benefit you can get out of the food. If that food gets you to hit a few more shots, it might pay for itself.

Personally, on my lowe; shooting pure APCR ended up making more money than being a cheap with silver ammo.

19 hours ago, sohojacques said:

In terms of the wallet vote, I'm surprised by the lack of these in randoms on SEA. Maybe 1 per side. Often none at all. Pubbies bought the Primo Vitoria shitbox on mass.  Had heaps of games where there were several of them per team. The STG is genuinely novel, at the very least. The workings of the pubbie mind...

depends on what day of the week it might be. on day and after it was released i recall seeing about 4-5 per side. 

again, it's not as popular and idiot proof as the Defender, and the recently buffed T-44 premiums may be more comfortable/conventional

44-100 will certainly make more cred/game.

One of the key attribute to income is shell cost/damage.

STG's shell is 840/390=2.15

44-100's shell is 252/250=1.01

4 hours ago, crapcannon said:

Not usong food on cancer tank will make me rage, and i’ll punch my monitor. So thats even more expensive. 

8 hours ago, Hally said:

That depends on how much benefit you can get out of the food. If that food gets you to hit a few more shots, it might pay for itself.

Personally, on my lowe; shooting pure APCR ended up making more money than being a cheap with silver ammo.

Yeah, it seems like the credit multiplier on the Loewe is sufficiently high to make that entirely viable.  I just started doing this myself.

If it had better soft stats I'd be tempted but don't see the point over a Rev which is just night and day in the gun handling department and comes with -10 depression. 

But 0.21 with a 2.4s aim time and then missing for a 11s reload is not my cup of tea. 

I also note that this thing I think has one of the lowest ammo rack HP's at tier 8, even with safe stowage I think 122s can blow it up with a high roll. 

1 hour ago, tajj7 said:

If it had better soft stats I'd be tempted but don't see the point over a Rev which is just night and day in the gun handling department and comes with -10 depression. 

But 0.21 with a 2.4s aim time and then missing for a 11s reload is not my cup of tea. 

I also note that this thing I think has one of the lowest ammo rack HP's at tier 8, even with safe stowage I think 122s can blow it up with a high roll. 

Again this tank suffers (lot less) of poor accuracy in combination with big alpha, just like Skorpion and Defender. In some extent less but still. Missing shit at 400m and waiting 11.5s for reload, it's a bit too much. Few battles on record, but gun handling is less cancerous than Defender/Skorpion's. 

3 minutes ago, BlackAdder said:

Again this tank suffers (lot less) of poor accuracy in combination with big alpha, just like Skorpion and Defender. In some extent less but still. Missing shit at 400m and waiting 11.5s for reload, it's a bit too much. Few battles on record, but gun handling is less cancerous than Defender/Skorpion's. 

Gee, I didn't know .33 accuracy is bad. It's already pretty good at its niche, and that is boomstick medium, especially since it's a tier 8 medium and those are usually pretty bad in this day and age.

Plus, it can pen the Defender more reliably than most tier 8 meds with standard rounds. That's a bonus.

8 minutes ago, ZXrage said:

Gee, I didn't know .33 accuracy is bad. It's already pretty good at its niche, and that is boomstick medium, especially since it's a tier 8 medium and those are usually pretty bad in this day and age.

Plus, it can pen the Defender more reliably than most tier 8 meds with standard rounds. That's a bonus.

It would be great on a super armored tank, but on tanks that rely on snipe it's hurtful when you miss shot and target just drive away. In close combat is sweet but then you can't rely on armor (just like Skorp G). 

So I picked this up b/c raisins.  BIA (4.5 skill borrowed from t54) crew + vents gives me .31 dispersion, so accuracy not an issue.  Crazy camo/low profile/good pen makes sniping viable when bottom tier, seems like decent initial area control tank for same reasons (but I'm not running optics, might try that later on).

Right now it's glorious when top tier b/c of all of the Panther M10s running around, got Steppes, went left and camped a bush in the back initially, chewed up their S1 with overmatch fun, then yolo'd the M10s:

SjgKySE.png

I get the arguments about 44-100 being more profitable (and probably generally more reliable/versatile), but in the right situations this is proving an absolute blast to play, b/c 390/212/.31 is pretty damned good at tier 8.  (I cannot imagine running food in this, I highly suspect it burns if you look at it wrong).

I've gone full autism and swapped vstab for optics (current loadout rammer, vents, optics).

Thought process behind this shit move is:

Handling is ebola and the gun needs to be settled in anyway for any target over 50m. Camo is good and it could be played like a 416 (so camo snipe early game, some scouting and circle jerk in later stages), vstab felt like a waste of a slot to me, also the tank could use some view range with that trash 370 base.

As of now I have bia, SA and 21% on recon, 441m not using food which is acceptable given the 31% stationary camo and 27% otm.

As previously said, the gun really needs to fully aim to minimize any dumb RNG miss, thanks to that and the bad dpm the gameplay is quite slow in it.

Armour is a lie, although you get the odd bounce on the upper plate and turret, can sidescrape against idiots who don't have a 130mm gun (so basically all low tiers and some t8s and 9s) even though with 45mm of side armour you rely more on autobounce than tracks absorbing hits.

Decent city brawler, it's also a decent sidehugger thanks to low profile + trollish turret.

16-17-2 is my ammo loadout, small rep, small med and AFE.

It's a nice TD/LT hybrid overall.

This tank isn't as awful as I expected from the server stats. It's not good, but you can definitely get some results in it. You have to play it a bit differently than most mediums; the huge bloom penalty juxtaposed against the great base accuracy means snapshotting is more dicey than almost any other med compared to what you'll get from an aimed shot. I think this trait alone causes a lot of issues for new stg players.

This is also the only high tier med I run binocs on. You can and should use optics or ivents if you are playing with food and a 5+ skill commander, but without those, you'll never get your VR where you need to be without binocs. This is one of the better chaisnipe meds. Unfortunately, you need view range for that, and 370 is awful. Your only options are binocs or sacrificing rammer for optics and vents, and I'll ban you if you start playing a med that way.

I think it's a neat package. Probably one of the better 8k bond pickups you can get, but it's going to frustrate you until it clicks. I honestly think a good STG player is way more dangerous than a good M4A1/UDES 14-5. It's pretty comparable to a good Lansen. It's just... there aren't that many good STG players.

1 hour ago, Rexxie said:

This is also the only high tier med I run binocs on. You can and should use optics or ivents if you are playing with food and a 5+ skill commander, but without those, you'll never get your VR where you need to be without binocs. This is one of the better chaisnipe meds. Unfortunately, you need view range for that, and 370 is awful. Your only options are binocs or sacrificing rammer for optics and vents, and I'll ban you if you start playing a med that way.

So... what equipment am I dropping turbo for?

1 hour ago, MagicalFlyingFox said:

The gun fucking hates me. Fuck the STG. Shells literally fall out of the barrel onto the dirt.

Yeah but you hate the lansen too. It's a funny element I suspect doesn't get looked at much but there's a significant difference in low boom low accuracy style play and higher bloom higher final accuracy tanks. I suspect having spent spent a lot of time in the pre buff leo pta I have never minded it. The kpz faces similar issues. It's the requirement to let gun settle that little bit longer that takes getting used to.

I'm at a point in my bond farming where I might actually get one of these because auctions are never going to be worth it any more.

10 hours ago, Rexxie said:

I honestly think a good STG player is way more dangerous than a good M4A1/UDES 14-5. It's pretty comparable to a good Lansen. It's just... there aren't that many good STG players.

STG doesn't actually have enough pen to bruteforce armoured tier 8s and you can rush it down pretty easily. The gun handling is kind of trashy at mid range which means if you wiggle you can bounce at least half the return fire. A good P46/T-44-100/CS-52 player is waaaaay more threatening than any of the 360/390 alpha meds (with the exception of the Borat).

Not sure where the Lansen fits

I think this thread blessed me, I just had a nice nearly 4k damage battle in mine, playing it for the first time since I returned. Profited 50k credits even after firing all my gold.

@Rexxie I like the idea of running binocs on this tank, what's your setup? I'm currently running vents, stabs, and rammer.

5 hours ago, Nicarasu said:

@Rexxie I like the idea of running binocs on this tank, what's your setup? I'm currently running vents, stabs, and rammer.

nice match! about what you'd expect; rammer, vstab, binocs.