ThomChen114

STG Guard - worth the gold?

On 10/5/2020 at 4:59 PM, Rexxie said:

I honestly think a good STG player is way more dangerous than a good M4A1/UDES 14-5. It's pretty comparable to a good Lansen. It's just... there aren't that many good STG players.

I'm curious what gives the STG more potential than the UDES in your opinion. On paper, the only advantages are better armor (but still kinda get fucked by arty), final accuracy and 30 alpha. 

Whereas you give up gun handling, shell velocity, DPM, mobility, VR, a little pen, ability to play around anything remotely resembling a hill. 

The corridor meta does reduce value of bush sniping, but it doesn't seem like the STG is that much of a better brawler to make up for its deficiencies. 

1 hour ago, dustygator said:

I'm curious what gives the STG more potential than the UDES in your opinion. On paper, the only advantages are better armor (but still kinda get fucked by arty), final accuracy and 30 alpha. 

In all the ways the STG suffers at range compared to the UDES (and it does - the lack of mobility alone is a big advantage to the UDES!), I feel like it can make up for in a brawl. The armor alone isn't enough to tip the scales, but the STG has overmatch, higher standard pen, higher alpha and better agility. When you couple that with armor, I feel like the STG is a much more well rounded and reliably dangerous vehicle regardless of map.

There's also something about the auto-hydraulics that feel really clunky to me, although I'm hesitating to blame the tank for that. The 10kph top speed limit for activation and necessitation that you always have your gun over your hull can make ridge peeking feel like a much slower, vulnerable task. It's still better than always being locked to -6 like the STG, but I can't say it hasn't gotten me killed. I'd hope that a good UDES player could play around it much better than me, though.

Yeah on paper the used looks better in lots of ways, but i also found it rather clunky. It was probably just me not coming to grips with it. I've also noticed guards bring able to wiggle their way to some random bounces that the used never did for me.

Yeah even just the random bounces the Guard gets are better than no bounces at all like the UDES. I do agree as well that the Guard feels a lot less clunky than the UDES. And I've got less battles in my Guard than my UDES, even.

STG;

Its not a defender but its still really strong.
The gun, all acc related stats are fairly good, aside from bloom. Some snapshot ability.
Its a rear turret med but it's not very noticeable. Gun depression and flexibility is too good. 
The armor bounces some things, if you control the situation well, it can bounce quite a bit, but main point is VR battle, can be used like a slow light tank. Can easily counterscout. VR Games + reliable, accurate 390 alpha.
The overmatch lets you pen Strv103's, rarely can't pen. High flexibility makes you feel confident.
Easy tank. Low DPM is somewhat felt, but can be played as pseudolight to get as many shooting opportunities as possible.
Rammer/Vstab/Spotting is ideal for STG.