1971ChevelleSS

Password change/account hacked?

Has anyone ever run into this before?  I couldn't log in to play this morning so I checked my email and it showed that my password had been changed which I didn't do.  I submitted a ticket to WG so hopefully they get back to me soon.

Been playing for a few years now and have never run into this issue, very strange.  Just curious if anyone else had ran into this and what the outcome was if so. 

Thanks,

Chevelle

Never happened to me, so I would assume some wild haxxx.

Good luck though and please share your experience with us about wargaming support .

Unfortunately I never set it up but clearly should have.  Never had an issue with my account before this.  

Hopefully WG can help reset the password and trust me, mobile number will be added for sure after that!

Will update on what comes of this once I hear back from WG support.

Sounds more like someone manged to somehow get into your e-mail account, without that it would be extremly difficult to do that otherwise.

Change your e-mail PW and then simply reset your WG-PW.

I actually think that is what happened Fabunil.  I recently changed email addresses and don't use that old email address for anything but it is still linked to my World of Tanks account.

Went into that email after you had posted this and I am getting all kinds of Russian spam. Looks like it was an email hack and they changed the password somehow through that. Of course, I never set up two-step authentication so I have to wait to get my password reset by wargaming when support contacts me.

Ugh, lesson learned.  Thanks for the help all.  Hopefully it can get fixed soon!

Chevelle

@1971ChevelleSS

Provide your location (city/ctate) to WG support and also tell them if/when you were on the road and accessed your account from a different location recently. Furthermore also provide the name of the ISP you used when you created your account (if you can remember that) and the one you are currently using.

They were interested in those things a few years back, when I had some problems. If they still log that data, it's further verification of your ID.

Will definitely do, thank you!  Still waiting to hear from my initial ticket but I did provide some of that info (couldn't remember initial isp).  I'm changing everything once I get access back though.  Of course the connected account was through yahoo, I know, shocking it was hacked right?  :( 

Chevelle

per the mobile authentication: I had that set up, and then when I last tried to change my password I never received a text message with the code, so I had to send in a ticket to remove it. 

22 hours ago, 1971ChevelleSS said:

Has anyone ever run into this before?  I couldn't log in to play this morning so I checked my email and it showed that my password had been changed which I didn't do.  I submitted a ticket to WG so hopefully they get back to me soon.

Been playing for a few years now and have never run into this issue, very strange.  Just curious if anyone else had ran into this and what the outcome was if so. 

Thanks,

Chevelle

You were dumb enough to put your password in the wrong place or dumb enough to install something stupid on your PC.

There is no such thing as getting your account "hacked", it's always your own fault somehow if this happens.

33 minutes ago, Stige said:

You were dumb enough to put your password in the wrong place or dumb enough to install something stupid on your PC.

There is no such thing as getting your account "hacked", it's always your own fault somehow if this happens.

LMAO, thanks for the tip.  I have nothing installed on my pc that caused the issue, it ended up being a yahoo email issue which was then used to change my password (in case you didn't see, there were over 500 million yahoo emails that were hacked).  I guess in that way it is my fault for having a yahoo email account and not checking it frequently enough.

Once again, good contribution to the conversation.  Much appreciated!  

Years ago Blizzard did blunder hugely by accidently showing the account-registration-email-adresses instead of the forum nicknames in their new and updated forums... They reverted this bug within a day but in the days afterwards I logged over 10000 unsuccessful log in attempts under my email (I changed it afterwrads).

But because my password was not start123 or any other of the 10k most popular passwords my WoW account was save. Many others were not that "lucky".

Not saying this was the case with your password, just that things like this happen.

After contacting Yahoo, they said that there was a bunch of email accounts affected and it caused issues all over the place.  They couldn't give me any information at all as to why my account email was affected but I'm not sure anyone could have guessed the password considering it was a random pet I owned, a year of car I had and a symbol at the end.

This was just three days ago as I've been getting all kinds of Russian spam since Monday on that account and had changed my password the day I realized what happened.

Just one more reason I now have Gmail accounts and don't even use Yahoo email.  Anyone that has Yahoo email, you may want to go in and change your password just for security purposes.

Now hopefully WG support gets back to me soon so I can access my wot account again!

Chevelle

4 hours ago, 1971ChevelleSS said:

LMAO, thanks for the tip.  I have nothing installed on my pc that caused the issue, it ended up being a yahoo email issue which was then used to change my password (in case you didn't see, there were over 500 million yahoo emails that were hacked).  I guess in that way it is my fault for having a yahoo email account and not checking it frequently enough.

Once again, good contribution to the conversation.  Much appreciated!  

Btw nice Chevelle, if that is actually yours. Got a -68 Satellite myself.

Well, I'll give it to this fucker...he's at least having fun.  :triggered:

I feel like forwarding this email to WG but don't want to reset my ticket as that's what the actual WOT forums seem to say happens.  Any advice?

Thx,

Chevelle

name change.jpg

9 hours ago, 1971ChevelleSS said:

I'm not sure anyone could have guessed the password considering it was a random pet I owned, a year of car I had and a symbol at the end.

Yeah these days that's trivial to crack, processing power has grown greatly and a password like that can be obtained within a relatively short time. Also did you use the same password on your Yahoo email as you did for WoT, then they could have just tried that too.

Pass phrase is the secure way to go, that is length of password is what stumps cracking now, but use a phrase so you can actually remember it. Even the guy who wrote the original NIST requirements for complex passwords, Bill Burr tells us he was wrong, XKCD shows us why :)

u3dmr8btucvn1hey2u7w.png

9 hours ago, RealBattousai said:

Yeah these days that's trivial to crack, processing power has grown greatly and a password like that can be obtained within a relatively short time. Also did you use the same password on your Yahoo email as you did for WoT, then they could have just tried that too.

Pass phrase is the secure way to go, that is length of password is what stumps cracking now, but use a phrase so you can actually remember it. Even the guy who wrote the original NIST requirements for complex passwords, Bill Burr tells us he was wrong, XKCD shows us why :)

u3dmr8btucvn1hey2u7w.png

Hackers somehow bruteforcing dome random idiots e-mail account by inputing some random characters is a myth, my guess is that has never happened in the history of the internet.

At most they will have a list of the most common passwords they will go through (this is why you something like "pasword123" or "qwerty" is not safe) or they go through a list of previously leaked passwords (this is why you don't use the same password for different websites).

In this case the password probably wasn't even the problem, it was just yahoo managing to fuck up on a massive scale (again).

12 hours ago, RealBattousai said:

Yeah these days that's trivial to crack, processing power has grown greatly

Name a site that won't shut down any attempts after 1000+ false tries within a few seconds.

The most used way for anyone to obtain a password is to test the basic most used passwords - many of those assume you know the users name and street where he lives or whatever - but quite many do not.

And thats exactly what the method prevents - you avoid (unknowingly) choosing one of the most popular passwords like start123 or p4ssw0rd.

10 hours ago, Jaegaer said:

Name a site that won't shut down any attempts after 1000+ false tries within a few seconds.

The most used way for anyone to obtain a password is to test the basic most used passwords - many of those assume you know the users name and street where he lives or whatever - but quite many do not.

And thats exactly what the method prevents - you avoid (unknowingly) choosing one of the most popular passwords like start123 or p4ssw0rd.

Generally cracking is done offline, yes different for web apps, but domain passwords etc you get the hashes, you crack offline and viola you have the passwords. In his case more likely it was the same password used on Yahoo, so they tried it on other services.

Just an update in case anyone else has this mess happen.

WG Support did finally get back to me (after posting in the official forums after 5 days with no answer) and requested screenshots of any purchases, location/ISP proof and a new email to be linked to my stolen WG account.  They apparently will reset that account with the new email and I should have my account back after that.  Who knows about tanks, creds or anything else.  I saw on noobmeter that this douche bought at least 4 tanks that I had sold so he probably screwed my garage up entirely.

Oh well, as long as I get access back, I'll figure it out.  Lesson definitely learned, even video games need to be secured to avoid going crazy!  :)

59 minutes ago, 1971ChevelleSS said:

Just an update in case anyone else has this mess happen.

WG Support did finally get back to me (after posting in the official forums after 5 days with no answer) and requested screenshots of any purchases, location/ISP proof and a new email to be linked to my stolen WG account.  They apparently will reset that account with the new email and I should have my account back after that.  Who knows about tanks, creds or anything else.  I saw on noobmeter that this douche bought at least 4 tanks that I had sold so he probably screwed my garage up entirely.

Oh well, as long as I get access back, I'll figure it out.  Lesson definitely learned, even video games need to be secured to avoid going crazy!  :)

They can also reset the account back to any given date you want so no problem there either.

Well, I have access to my account again!  YAY, but this jackball spent about $11million credits and changed a bunch of tanks around.  Submitted a new ticket to see if they could reset back to that date as Stige said.

Overall, I'm very pleased with WG's support and their help.  They helped me quite a bit on this one!

Chevelle

2 hours ago, 1971ChevelleSS said:

Well, I have access to my account again!  YAY, but this jackball spent about $11million credits and changed a bunch of tanks around.  Submitted a new ticket to see if they could reset back to that date as Stige said.

Overall, I'm very pleased with WG's support and their help.  They helped me quite a bit on this one!

Chevelle

Good to know that there are at least two people who were pleased with wargaming support.

Good luck with reverting changes