Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hey guys,

 

Sorry cant go into much detail atm, will edit it later but I need a new cpu,

I play at 1440p (27inch I think) 120hz on one monitor with 2 secondaries at 1080p

I have a 1080ti gpu and ddr4 16gb vengance ram, 

My current cpu i5-6600k cant keep up with it all constantly bottlenecking, and tanks is dropping to 60fps, and even worse when I stream causing constant jitter.

I wanted to ask the nerds of Wotlabs to let me know there suggestions for a high end cpu, I was looking at the i7-7700k cpu, my budget is <$400

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're looking for a gaming setup, Id go Intel but you're going to have to wait. The i5 8600k (?) + Z370 mobo would work best for you. But, if you could hold off for a bit and get the i7 8700k+MoBo you're much better off IMO. Problem will be availability for that piece. 

Im sad personally that the new series doesn't work with the z270 series, but you can tank Intel for fucking you in the ass for that one

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the Z170, you're basically looking at one upgrade, the 6700k i7. 

Yes, it fucking blows. I was in your position, I had a 6600k as well with a MSI Krait Z170 gaming. I currently have a Ryzen 7 1700x + 1070

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How are you dropping below 60fps with the 6600k + 1080ti?
If you are streaming use nvenc.

If you absolutely must use x264 then get a ryzen 1700 or 7700k (only if the 7700k is cheap).
Coffelake will be replaced next year once again on new mobo architecture.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not really sure, but It annoys the hell out of me and I wanna upgrade.

I usually have spotify + Discord + Twitch/obs running at same time and it kinda borks

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Believe me, I was there and know. I LOVE my 1700X, but I also got a HUGE fucking discount on it because people are PC idiots, so I got it basically 40% off. If you go intel, you're going to have to upgrade your MoBo. If you go Ryzen, you will as well but at least they've promised the next few Gens will work with their boards. If you do go Ryzen, Id go higher end with better power delivery

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so has the i7-7700k been power crept by other CPU that require different sockets? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, De1tacu said:

so has the i7-7700k been power crept by other CPU that require different sockets? 

Yes, however, for gaming it is still fine and will be fine for a couple more years at 1080/1440p.
I'm a little doubtful on ultra settings for 1440p in the long run but it should be fine given your gpu.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How the hell are you bottlenecking a 6600K?

I built a rig for my step brother with almost those exact specs (6600k/16GB DDR4/1080ti/1440p ultrawide) and he has no problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, De1tacu said:

Not really sure, but It annoys the hell out of me and I wanna upgrade.

I usually have spotify + Discord + Twitch/obs running at same time and it kinda borks

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So you have basically the same shit as him open at the same time.

 

Are you sure there isnt some background process taking up all your CPU? Like a shitty antivirus or something, or even a virus itself hell. You shouldnt be having any issues with that setup at all. Its only a generation old ffs. I could plant a 1080ti into my old rig with a 3570K and have no issues, including streaming.

 

What are you streaming btw? And is it stuttering ingame or on twitch?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Assassin7 said:

So you have basically the same shit as him open at the same time.

 

Are you sure there isnt some background process taking up all your CPU? Like a shitty antivirus or something, or even a virus itself hell. You shouldnt be having any issues with that setup at all. Its only a generation old ffs. I could plant a 1080ti into my old rig with a 3570K and have no issues, including streaming.

 

What are you streaming btw? And is it stuttering ingame or on twitch?

1440p on the i5 could be a factor. If he's streaming 60fps, I can see that happening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@De1tacu

You 're dealing with 2 seperate issues here apparently.

Pure gaming shouldn't cause any problems with a 6600K + 1080Ti + sufficient RAM (did u enable XMP in BIOS?) especially in WoT. Did you test different clockspeeds with your CPU and did it change the experience with FPS dips?

While the 6600K will bottleneck the 1080Ti in some games at 1440p it shouldn't be a big issue. Now I don't know how WoT developed performance wise in the last year, but I don't think it got worse and I think with your hardware you should be able stay above 80FPS even at 1440p. My 3570K @4.4 GHz combined with a GTX970 was good enough for that at 1080p with an avg of around 100-110FPS, if I remember correctly.

 

Streaming using x264 encoder (the CPU - best picture quality) with a 4c/4t CPU like yours or mine will always result in framedrops or skipped frames, if you aim for a decent bandwith and resolution. Nothing you can do about that. The minimum requirement for that is a high clocked (>4GHz) 4c/8t CPU like a 6700K or 7700K (both would run on your motherboard). The ideal solution in that scenario though is the 8700K with its 6c/12t on high clockspeeds - it's the king of gaming/streaming.

 

Now what you could try is using your GPU as the streaming device in OBS, switch to Nvidia NVENC as Encoder. It will probably not fully resolve the problem, but at least reduce it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its fine when im not streaming, to some extent if ive get heaps open i will drop to 60fps but its all bearable its when i start streaming,

I am a very novice streamer so probably havent set something up right but i feel a upgraded cpu should fix it anyway?

I havent overclocked it yet, it is watercooled so i should probably have a look into that, and will try switch to gpu encoding

Thanks heaps guys :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, De1tacu said:

I havent overclocked it yet, it is watercooled so i should probably have a look into that, and will try switch to gpu encoding

...Have an AIO... and no OC???????????

Brah

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?89428-Basic-Guide-Overclocking-Intel-Core-i5-6600K-Skylake-using-Asus-Z170i-Pro-Gaming

I was able to get 4.4 at something like 1.2volts. If you're over 1.4, step it back

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get 100+ stable fps with an old air cooled 4690K and R9 290 with OBS running and game on max settings (I've only disabled annoying shit that inerferes with aiming) @ 1900x1200, you should have no problems at all getting much better results.

Set temperature limits in BIOS or coretemp in case water pump fails, I've seen that happen on Corsair AIO water cooling, resulted in burnt CPU and motherboard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CandyVanMan said:

I get 100+ stable fps with an old air cooled 4690K and R9 290 with OBS running and game on max settings (I've only disabled annoying shit that inerferes with aiming) @ 1900x1200, you should have no problems at all getting much better results.

Set temperature limits in BIOS or coretemp in case water pump fails, I've seen that happen on Corsair AIO water cooling, resulted in burnt CPU and motherboard.

1920x1200 isnt much of a stepup from 1920x1080p. If he was streaming while playing on 1440p, those frames and drops in fps are expected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Intel's 8th Gen series is out. The i5 8600k is out, which is a six-core 6 thread part. This should be your minimum for your use case. Either i5 8600+ or R5 1600+(6C12T) should work very well for you.

 

I don't think buying a Quad core and lower in 2017 is a good idea, unless you're on a budget.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tman450 said:

Intel's 8th Gen series is out. The i5 8600k is out, which is a six-core 6 thread part. This should be your minimum for your use case. Either i5 8600+ or R5 1600+(6C12T) should work very well for you.

 

I don't think buying a Quad core and lower in 2017 is a good idea, unless you're on a budget.

With the more reasonable budget Z370 boards out (130~ish USD), Id rather get the i7 8700 or 8700k. Ryzen 5 is better paired with something like a 1060/900 series and 1080p. The lack of additional threads in the i5 series can impact higher resolution gaming expected with the 1080ti

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...