Sign in to follow this  
jonj02

New Member.....How many tanks to get better in.

Hi Im brand new to this forum ...and hope to learn the good habits of tankers who are good at this game.

I read a post in the WoT forum a few months ago chronicling of one player going from not very good to really good at this game.

1) he said the biggest mistake he made was rushing up the tiers and learning all the wrong habits.

2)he went back to tier 3 and stayed there, in the same tank, until he got really good at tier 3..

3) he repeated the process until he reached tier 10 (several thousands games).  

I have searched for the post...but the search function on the WoT couldn't find it.

I'm am convinced #1 is correct.  But what about #2 and #3, how important is it to stay in the same tank....(or a very limited selection of tanks).  Also how important is it to stay at lower tiers and when do you advance to the next tier?  

Thank you in advance.

10 minutes ago, jonj02 said:

Hi Im brand new to this forum ...and hope to learn the good habits of tankers who are good at this game.

I read a post in the WoT forum a few months ago chronicling of one player going from not very good to really good at this game.

1) he said the biggest mistake he made was rushing up the tiers and learning all the wrong habits.

2)he went back to tier 3 and stayed there, in the same tank, until he got really good at tier 3..

3) he repeated the process until he reached tier 10 (several thousands games).  

I have searched for the post...but the search function on the WoT couldn't find it.

I'm am convinced #1 is correct.  But what about #2 and #3, how important is it to stay in the same tank....(or a very limited selection of tanks).  Also how important is it to stay at lower tiers and when do you advance to the next tier?  

Thank you in advance.

Theres some things to learn from tier 3, but you'll learn a lot more in 5/6/7. I'd stay in 5/6/7 until you could reliably solo 55-58% and to develop crews. I have a few guides/posts on improvement. 

It depends on you I prefer in the games i play to start at the highest difficulty possible to get punished for my mistakes. If you play lower tiers you will pick up some bad habits that will haunt you later when you play tier 9 and especially 10. 

I'd suggest you getting a good tier 8 like the is3, you will have a tank very good when bottom and op when top tier. This will teach you when you should bully and trade effectively and when bottom how to support your allies to win by saving hp and poking when enemies are distracted. You will have enough alpha, hp, armour and mobility to be effective, but you will get to see tier Xs a lot so you will still be punished enough. 

Plus it is a great tank for getting in clans ect so jump in the russian bIaS3

5 hours ago, jonj02 said:

But what about #2 and #3, how important is it to stay in the same tank....(or a very limited selection of tanks).  Also how important is it to stay at lower tiers and when do you advance to the next tier? 

It is only important to stay in a limited selection of tanks to learn if you are trying to integrate a single element of the game into your repertoire (i.e. camo - light tanks / vision - lights or meds / side-scraping - meds or heavies). Once you have a general 'feel' you can pretty much apply it to every tank there is in the game simply by playing it once.
In regards to #3, you do that anyways simply by playing the game and taking each game as a learning opportunity.

I personally don't think it's important to stay at lower tiers to learn. Just look at my wotlabs profile. You can clearly tell which tanks I first got and semi-rushed through (i.e. IS7/Batchat/268/JPE/140 line) but still ended up performing very well across the board with my 10s. The important thing is to stick to an element of the game, get an understanding of it and generalize it to every tank you will play. It sounds like an arduous task, but it's easy to get the hang of since you will be playing thousands of battles to learn from anyways. Then it's a rinse and repeat. Things like camouflage and vision go hand in hand so you can kill 2 birds with 1 stone there.

Tanks.gg is also a very useful tool to learn weakspots of tanks and can help you generalize which areas are optimal to shoot at.

Fulcrous has some fucking good points there.

The natural progression through the tiers introduces tanks and their weakspots at a rate which you can take on board fairly easily. Grind several lines at once to take advantage of that process, but keep your sessions focused on similar tanks because switching gears all the time isn't good for you.

11 hours ago, CraBeatOff said:

Theres some things to learn from tier 3, but you'll learn a lot more in 5/6/7. I'd stay in 5/6/7 until you could reliably solo 55-58% and to develop crews. I have a few guides/posts on improvement. 

tier 6 is probably the best, that's where I played the majority of my games when I was improving from a 50%er to a blunicum. I focused a lot on really mobile medium tanks and TDs, using camo, not getting shot at, using mobility to get different lanes of fire, etc. Mostly using Cromwell, M18 Hellcat, T20, and SU-122-44. I only started playing exclusively tier8-10 after hitting that level, and went even higher... Another thing is tier6/7 is really when tanks aren't complete batshit insane speed demon derp gunning everything, and insta penning eachother. More mechanics come into play at tier6+.

Also yeah, getting good at one class at a time is vital. You don't learn as effectively if you're trying to do several classes all at the same time. Imagine doing your homework for algebra, and switching to english, and then coding every 20 minutes.  You need a consistent play-style of tanks, so you can think of how to better play it after every round. Main thing for improvement, is just self reflection, and trying to think more earlier into the matches of games. Try to start predict things, and after maybe a few hundred matches you'll actually be good at predicting based on whatever it was you were predicting. Like say you predict where enemy top tier heavies go, or their TDs are, or where their mediums might go. Start challenging your brain to understand more of what's going on, and what will likely happen.

I am so bad at this... But I just ground everything, only play a tank until it gets a win, and eventually learned most/all playstyles.

So, whatever you find fun... but definitely think how YOU could have done better, each round.

11 hours ago, Raj said:

tier 6 is probably the best, that's where I played the majority of my games when I was improving from a 50%er to a blunicum. I focused a lot on really mobile medium tanks and TDs, using camo, not getting shot at, using mobility to get different lanes of fire, etc. Mostly using Cromwell, M18 Hellcat, T20, and SU-122-44. I only started playing exclusively tier8-10 after hitting that level, and went even higher... Another thing is tier6/7 is really when tanks aren't complete batshit insane speed demon derp gunning everything, and insta penning eachother. More mechanics come into play at tier6+.

Also yeah, getting good at one class at a time is vital. You don't learn as effectively if you're trying to do several classes all at the same time. Imagine doing your homework for algebra, and switching to english, and then coding every 20 minutes.  You need a consistent play-style of tanks, so you can think of how to better play it after every round. Main thing for improvement, is just self reflection, and trying to think more earlier into the matches of games. Try to start predict things, and after maybe a few hundred matches you'll actually be good at predicting based on whatever it was you were predicting. Like say you predict where enemy top tier heavies go, or their TDs are, or where their mediums might go. Start challenging your brain to understand more of what's going on, and what will likely happen.

Actually tier 6 is probably the worst tier to learn anything but how to aim, shoot, sidescrape and how to micro your tank. Heavies are worse than mediums and have no armour so you can engage them with no worries, lights are OP on many maps and only mediums can keep up with them and outplay them. And you will fight mostly players who dont know what they are doing. 

The game really starts at tier 7 when heavies finally can play thier role (mediums get shafted quite a bit but are still playable) and tds are ok/good and lts are very well balanced. 

Read the how to suck less thread and the how to forums.  Lots of good information and tips.  Don't get discouraged in low tiers.  I'm not great; but, I'm better than I was for joining this forum.