lavawing

Tanks that don't need goldspam

Tonight while grinding out the WZ-111 Alpine Tiger missions, I played around 20 Tier 10 games.

I started out with slightly over half a million silver. I ended the session unable to pay for my repairs.

The tanks I play are the 5a, the E5 and the 430, and in this kind of meta all of them need some amount of gold to function.

I am poor.

My prem account has run out. My Tier 8 prems are powercreeped and besides, Tier 8 is hell for anyone not a masochist.

After bouncing 5 or 6 rounds of 340 pen HEAT on a Maus turret due to a combination of poor aim, bad luck, and a derpy gun, I had something of a revelation along with an aneurysm. I can't. I just can't. The meta is bullshit. Tier 10 is cancer. I suck.

Which brings me to the question, what tanks, or which lines should I grind out if I don't want to spam gold all the time. Better yet, other than playing arty, how would I beat the gold sink that is WoT today? 

Or, should I give up?

18 minutes ago, Fulcrous said:

Any TD. Even then gold spam will eventually be necessary because lul super heavy meta.

I have the 704 which is cancer to play and play against. Tried to grind up the Jagdpanther line: absolutely horrific camo esp coming from the Jagd IV. I have PTSD just from playing the AT-8. Might restart the line once 9.21 hits.

13 minutes ago, FavreFan4ever said:

Swedish TDs have the best gun handling and accuracy in the game, along with the highest base pen. The STRV 103B is really good at farming damage.

I will give them a try. The low tiers + siege mode really made them kind of unappetising to grind to, though.

58 minutes ago, lavawing said:

I have the 704 which is cancer to play and play against. Tried to grind up the Jagdpanther line: absolutely horrific camo esp coming from the Jagd IV. I have PTSD just from playing the AT-8. Might restart the line once 9.21 hits.

I will give them a try. The low tiers + siege mode really made them kind of unappetising to grind to, though.

It's an easy grind. While they are super annoying they are not as painful as is2 or TVP since they are not as derpy an awkward. 

Another option would be the t100lt or 13 105 but they are not very strong tanks and you need a 4skill crew at least. (they don't need gold only because gold helps shit on them). I use food on mine 13 105 so that may be a problem for you though.

17 minutes ago, map381 said:

I haven't played tanks in a year+, super heavies are meta again?  Why's that?

Murazor up to his usual retardation. Type 5 Heavy now has a derp which deals 1,100 damage with standard HE and 1,400 with Gold HE (Both have 75mm pen). On top of that, its armor got buffed to the point where they consider 270mm ports on the front of the hull "weakspots".

Maus got an overall armor buff, a better reload and 200 extra health. It did have a lowest possibile reload of 9 seconds, but they nerfed the reload a tad and removed the extra 200 health.

9 minutes ago, Spinee said:

Murazor up to his usual retardation. Type 5 Heavy now has a derp which deals 1,100 damage with standard HE and 1,400 with Gold HE (Both have 75mm pen). On top of that, its armor got buffed to the point where they consider 270mm ports on the front of the hull "weakspots".

Maus got an overall armor buff, a better reload and 200 extra health. It did have a lowest possibile reload of 9 seconds, but they nerfed the reload a tad and removed the extra 200 health.

So it's no longer a vision and medium meta?

8 minutes ago, map381 said:

So it's no longer a vision and medium meta?

I mean, Mediums still have the 2 key, but yeah I feel that on most maps, the team with more superheavies wins because Meds can swoop around whilst 1 or 2 superheavies can hold an entire flank. This is just from my experience, might not be the case for others.

2 hours ago, Spinee said:

Murazor up to his usual retardation.

1zyjg8.jpg

Also got to say, that’s a super impressive signature. I’ve never ever seen some with a 49% overall and super recents. Well done on putting the effort in to learn the game. 

Ikea TDs rarely need gold ammo.

Maus is... viable... in the sense that even if you fire nothing but APCR, you are making a profit with a premium account. Going cheap when shooting cardboards let you make money without premium acc.

E3/E4/JPE all get away with functional performance without shooting any gold. They also don't really lose money if you don't fire gold ammo into dirt.

2 hours ago, map381 said:

I haven't played tanks in a year+, super heavies are meta again?  Why's that?

Maus buff happened, then the Type 5 buff, Mauschans, the PZ VII, which isn't actually OP, but needs gold to be penned with any amount of reliability. Then to counter that WG gave us a bunch of DPM/goldspam godkings like the 5A and the Super Conqueror, (and the buffed 113), which also conveniently shit on most meds. And it's not just heavies. They gave pretty much every high tier medium better turrets which cannot be reliably penned other than with gold. Then you factor in the new Swedish TDs, which are autobounce for anything not HEAT or >122mm. All this means that Tiers 8-10 is a colossal goldsink.

And this explains all the people running S1s, 120 FTs and Skorps. Because this is what you need to do in a gold-based economy where tanks are balanced around gold.

Tiers 5-7 are cheap enough to play at that you can spam some code 22 and still break even without a premium account. Any tank at these tiers that has workable base pen is the way to play without any financial consequences. I stumbled onto this strategy accidentally, my favorite tank early in my career was the StuG III G, and I played the absolute hell out of it. Built up tens of millions of credits eventually, never bought a single day of premium time, and this was before boosters were a thing too.

TDs will be the primary contenders, but there may also be some tier 5-7 heavies and mediums that have good enough pen to be worth playing. Use tanks.gg and compare a shell's damage, pen, and velocity to its price. Once in a while you may stumble onto a machine that gets a good shell for a reasonable price.

10 hours ago, bolagnaise said:

1zyjg8.jpg

Also got to say, that’s a super impressive signature. I’ve never ever seen some with a 49% overall and super recents. Well done on putting the effort in to learn the game. 

TY but it was mostly the fact that I played 7,000 games on a 5 FPS toaster that caused the horrible overall stats. Came back last September with something that could run the game and could actually apply my knowledge and here I am

Why not get decent at scouts?  I almost never fire gold in them, you rely on positioning and flanking enough that you don't really have to fire gold (and you can get actual value out of HE).  Yeah, poor fit for the current meta, but if a horror show like me can pull 55-57% in them, anyone can.

Stick with the JPE100 line - you don't play them as bush kempers, so don't sweat the camo so much.  Camo up through tier 6, tier 7 is a mobile poke-snipe-run, and from tier 8 you terrify the other team by supporting your heavies with absolutely fantastic guns.

There's basically two ways to make money in this game without running a premium account.

Firstly, be stingy with gold rounds. Especially without a premium account, you have to just not fling the stuff around like crazy. Yes, you'll need some, but you don't need to fire it every shot, and accept that if you say try to re-locate instead of loading gold when faced with that super-heavy frontally, you may not win quite as much as you might like.

Secondly, grind lower tiers at the same time as playing higher tiers. With a premium account you can turn a profit up to tier 9 (and sometimes tier 10) with moderate to low gold usage. Without a premium account you should still make a profit in tier 8. Tiers 6 and 7 are quite profitable without a premium account and gold usage should be quite minimal. Good tier 6 tanks, such as mediums (there are many good ones, Crom, CromB, VKP, Rudy etc.) and the KV-85 don't need gold and and turn good profits even when bottom tier.