Okeano

Okeano & Rexxie's guide on where NOT go to on maps (Updated 12/2/15)

There is also the lemming train syndrome. When the information is spread around that the best route on a map is from A to B and "not" C to D then after some time the C to D route becomes viable because the other team is expecting an attack through the route A to B.

Then again there will always be those maps where the best route is the only viable route to take. Just my thoughts but as I have not played that many battles I may be wrong.

Great guide, not going to argue with any of it as I don't have the stats to back any assertions I might make.

It has opened my eyes in a couple of instances to things I might have been doing wrong, I don't think I have been yoloing into any red areas but in some cases I do spent a bit too much time in yellow areas.

Also in process of studying Sela's map guides as well.

I have a question about El Halluf. If you starting from south spawn, almost all of the heavies go to A2 through C/D1. My question is why don't they stop at about D1? It is an absolute slug fest and many tanks will die (from both sides) if the heavies cross that valley. Would it no be better to let the north team come down and thus give us more view control, high ground and still be more arty safe? Or to be correct in the "where not to go" topic line, should A2 be an absolute no-no for south spawn?

I have managed to talk a few people into this strategy and it usually works out for the better. But whenever I hold back and all the heavies go rushing up the side (and usually die) I get called a noob (nub, newb, scrub, coward, etc., all other variations) for doing this. I will agree that once the others rush, that the C/D1 point is almost worthless because there is no longer the need for A2/3 to peek out and shoot.

For the old El Halluf, west spawn does that becuause they get to A1 faster - they don't have to go down then back up a hill. This allows them to cross the valley safely where as by the time the east side gets to A3, the other side would already have guns waiting at D1/C1 so the east guys can't go down without getting shot. If the west guys don't take the initiative, both sides just wait there. Depending on how many tanks east send to A3 and what type of tank you're in, pushing up to A3 could be the right move sometimes. I found this to be even more true after the change. The hull down lump at A3 is no longer there, and there's a path added to the north edge of A2/3 that faster tanks can get to. Pushing A3 from west spawn is actually even more viable on the new El Halluf now. The defensive position for east spawn actually shifted back to A4, because holding A3 is very hard now and there's no where to retreat because you will get snipped through that gap. I think so far they did an ok job of making El Halluf more dynamic.

I think another reason for the west to take the initiative is that you don't want the other side to get on your slope at D2/E2, since tanks there are pretty much safe from any crossfire and can flank anything. Any time I've gotten to that area it was GG for the other team.

So you're saying it is just me then...lol. Thank you for the response and I will see about taking the initiative up that hill then.

I think it's pretty boring if both sides are sitting across a valley from each other and wait. On the old map A3 can't always be taken down and it turns to a stalemate anyways, but generally the west side don't lose anything by going up to the slope. Yeah you have idiots that will try to drive up into 3-4 guns waiting, but idiots will be idiots. At least the changes to the map seem to be good so far.

So you're saying it is just me then...lol. Thank you for the response and I will see about taking the initiative up that hill then.

FWIW, I thought that as well--whenever my team is on that side, all the heavies rush that slot, die one by one in the bottleneck as they climb the far side.... though for the life of me, I can't see a better option, other than drinking a beer or two and waiting for the other side to do something

Not sure if trolling... Been on the map twice since release lol.

At some point will also need an update for new Redshire and Erlenberg, but I haven't quite figured those maps out myself yet.

Redshire has really become different. That west flank can go either way from the north or south. To be honest, I have not even went to the east side of the map as I am having a lot of fun and luck on the west.

Windstorm: All but once or twice I have spawned on the same northeast side. I am liking the very middle of the map (D/E 5/6), just above the town on top of the hills. Great vision and everything is downhill from there, but getting there from southwest spawn before the other side would most likely be impossible.

Edit: Oh and HOLY SHIT I HAVE BLUE IN MY SIG!!!! WOOHOO!!!

Oh this is just what I needed, thanks a bunch for putting the time and effort into this post. 

A few of the maps that were changed or released in the last patch are outdated in this guide. I don't know them well enough to update yet.

found some of these very helpful since I started playing again in december, thx!

Windstorm would make for a good add sometime

+1 on the thread. Thank you

The city on that map is a little confusing, then again I've only gone to the city once. With how little I'm playing lately and how many battles it takes for me to feel comfortable writing about new maps, it may take a while for me to update with these new and changed maps.

Lakeville 

"...Valley is a no-no. This doesn't need in-depth explanation...."

This has been conventional wisdom for so long that Valley is again an option.  I've been on that map several times when there was NO resistance in Valley.  My advice is to give it a try once more.

Lakeville 

This has been conventional wisdom for so long that Valley is again an option.  I've been on that map several times when there was NO resistance in Valley.  My advice is to give it a try once more.

It might work 40% of the time but it's not anywhere near the best option. The game is almost always won/lost inside the city. If your team lemmings down the valley you can try to defend, and there's more potential for that to work.

What are you going to do when you've pushed through, they're at your base and they're controlling everywhere else on map, resetting whoever's left capping on their base while you and your teammates futilely try to fight off their cappers AND defenders with your already disadvantaged team?

Just let a couple people do whatever they want in the valley, while you win the fight in the city for your team. If you need to defend, go back and do so (but not too early - read one of the many articles on game flow at http://www.rocketbrainsurgeon.com )

Lakeville 

Uhh...

Lakeville 

Ban this troll please.

kk thx

It might work 40% of the time but it's not anywhere near the best option. The game is almost always won/lost inside the city. If your team lemmings down the valley you can try to defend, and there's more potential for that to work.

What are you going to do when you've pushed through, they're at your base and they're controlling everywhere else on map, resetting whoever's left capping on their base while you and your teammates futilely try to fight off their cappers AND defenders with your already disadvantaged team?

Just let a couple people do whatever they want in the valley, while you win the fight in the city for your team. If you need to defend, go back and do so (but not too early - read one of the many articles on game flow at http://www.rocketbrainsurgeon.com )

Oh I'm sorry, is this a new version of the game where one team gets 15 tanks and the other gets 30?  How are they "at your base, controlling everywhere else, AND resetting whoever is on their base" all at the same time?    If they are doing those things there are other problems.

Oh I'm sorry, is this a new version of the game where one team gets 15 tanks and the other gets 30?  How are they "at your base, controlling everywhere else, AND resetting whoever is on their base" all at the same time?    If they are doing those things there are other problems.

Your team has 1-3 tanks on it and 12-14 bad AI. The point here is that you are your team's greatest asset, and that there are too many things you can't depend on your team to do. By wasting your time in the valley you CAUSE those other problems.