Okeano

Okeano & Rexxie's guide on where NOT go to on maps (Updated 12/2/15)

BACK TO TOPIC

BACK TO TOPIC

I always find it strange that you think Abby map have east bottleneck as most battle occur. I always notice most battle occur on west valley and east valley.

I do avoid there because it is easy to defend. but I don't see many players go for it.

East is always terrible on Abbey.  For the same reason the valley is terrible on lakeville.  1 TD can and will stall all 6 of your pubbies that go that way, and essentially remove them from the battle for a good portion of the game.  East has no sight lines to shoot anywhere else on the map.  Meanwhile, the other flanks are outnumbered, get their shit pushed in, and the enemy flanks the east until they die a death of terrible pubby tears and hack accusations.

Ignore it totally? No, but 99.99999999% of the time at least one pubbie will go that way so you know if anything is coming.  If they do, you can defend from the West hilltop super easy into the very exposed cap.

I don't play assault or encounter. I can turn on encounter and start working on those slowly, but with my current desire to play tanks, it's unlikely that they will be out anytime soon. If other purples who play encounter and assault are wiling to make maps for them, I'll be glad to add them to the OP.

Please don't comment on a game you don't actually even play.

Have a short break from posting, try the game out, you might like it.

Oh god damnit.  I put Afterschoolcarl in detention and you come in here and do the red text.  Why can't I yell the loud funny words? :)

Thanks for the maps Okeano. These have been awesome for helping me pick locations and subsequently having much better games.

Are you going to do any updates to the outdated ones? I would love to see your input on especially the new Redshire map. I have started to formulate my own ideas based on the games I have played but, I have never been very conventional about it. Combine that with the amount of redshire I have been seeing lately has me curious what you guys think.

Here are some noteworthy points about a few locations

On Komarin it should be noted that taller tanks with large turrets (I've had problems here a lot with the T34/T30) going to C8/9 can get shot in the side of the turret from snipers on the island, so watch how your tank is positioned. This will become more difficult if enemy heavies move up to D0, as backing up to one side of the hill can expose you to fire.

On Live Oaks the path through the center swamp may be useless, but if I'm on the north side in my T71 I will go sit in some of the vegetation in E6 with binos and a camo net. From there you can spot some of the enemies going tracks, some of the ones setting up on the hill, and usually the enemy scout skirting the western edge of the swamp. This position will also give you some nice shots of the enemy, but to maximize your scouting potential you want to hold your fire until the enemy scout(s) are destroyed at the very least.

If you start off on the north side of Swamp and you are a fast medium (or TD ex: E 25), G7 is a good spot to put fire into the center and enemy snipers in D4, as well as put flanking fire into enemies approaching the south bridge. This spot is less effective when you have little support South as the advancing enemies will quickly flush you out of your sniping spot.

Great guide, +1

Thanks for the maps Okeano. These have been awesome for helping me pick locations and subsequently having much better games.

Are you going to do any updates to the outdated ones? I would love to see your input on especially the new Redshire map. I have started to formulate my own ideas based on the games I have played but, I have never been very conventional about it. Combine that with the amount of redshire I have been seeing lately has me curious what you guys think.

Glad they're helping.

I've been on a break from the game, tried it again this weekend and was reminded why I went on the break. I suspect much of what I wrote here would no longer apply with 9.0 and more destructible buildings. We'll just have to see.

For Redshire, the overall flow of the game is still the same. They tried hard to make NE relevant by providing cover for the north base tanks from snipers, but it's still pointless. Even if you won that fight, they moved the base so now you have to drive across the open to advance. So really the game still comes down to aggressive scouting coordinated with snipers at SW corner. The 0 line is deeper now to provide more cover from sniper hill, so it became more important for north to defend and south to take.

Ahh I got you. I have had some pretty rage inducing games as of late but I usually take a day off from it and then come at it with fresh perspective.

That is what I have been noticing as well. Redshire is usually won or lost in the SW corner of the map. With the way the hill has been redone to provide more cover. I have been noticing that the north team if you can hit the spots has a commanding field over the west and an easy push into the SW with good cover.

For both north and south spawn I generally hit the hill. It just has the most commanding view of the field and enough cover now to make being up there viable. Although I tend to think the north side has a slight advantage here if the south side can't work to clear them out quickly from the hill.

Here's Redshire's heat map:

heatmap_redshire_ctf_all_201402.png

For north spawn, I think it's valuable for a couple of hulldown tanks to stay on the Northeast hill north of the river to defend that side of the map and get shots onto that big green splotch on the center hill, but it's suicide to push past the river until you're in the cleanup phase of the game.

For south spawn, I've found the most success pushing the 1 line regardless of tank. It's very rare to see folks from north spawn get past that fork in the road going south.

Here's Redshire's heat map:

Definitely the old heat map.  You can see where tanks hid behind the now non-exisiting rocks on what was the East ridge...

That looks like a pre-8.9 map. 

Definitely the old heat map.  You can see where tanks hid behind the now non-exisiting rocks on what was the East ridge...

Just a-derpin' along, then! My bad.

Still, I'd definitely agree that east is mostly useless in the new map. I always cringe when I see a bunch of tanks go that way past the river from the north spawn. You need a few to hold that flank and lay down some cross fire on the center hills, but pubbies be obnoxious.

Most heavy tanks seem to favor the east path because if you stay below the hill, you are a lot less vulnerable to sniper fire than on other parts of the map. However, while it provides some safety from snipers, it is almost completely open to arty, and even if you push past the enemy towards their base, there are hills that command both of the bases from which tank destroyers can easily stall or completely stop your advance. Still...I'd rather have my team's heavies there than camping base. On the map I would probably mark this area yellow since there are valid arguments for going or not going this way, and it most certainly cannot be ignored completely.

I really wish that more people would understand Westfield.  Even end game, unless you've got insane camo, the SE corner will get you spotted.  And trying to reset from there is auto-spot.  It's terribly aggravating playing in the village and having all your mediums camping down there, and you get flanked in the village.  Has anyone else noticed that the north team on westfield seems to win more?

Yeah. I usually just don't try to put myself in a place where I have to rely on tomatoes defending my flank. But westfield is a hard map. You just don't know what the pubbies will do. 

Look who's back. That ban wasn't long enough for you? All but a few were updated all the way up to 9.0. The patch probably made a lot of these outdated, but I haven't played yet so I wouldn't know. Why does it matter to you anyways, since you know better than me?

All my +1s to Solono! I didn't know dudebros played tanks.

Also, I still think there is some useful stuff here. Agamemneon linked me to this, and it's a good starting point...one of my major issues is not knowing where to go at the start of a battle. This helps, even with destructible buildings and some map changes, I'm betting the gist is still sound.

All my +1s to Solono! I didn't know dudebros played tanks.

Also, I still think there is some useful stuff here. Agamemneon linked me to this, and it's a good starting point...one of my major issues is not knowing where to go at the start of a battle. This helps, even with destructible buildings and some map changes, I'm betting the gist is still sound.

You should check out M--M and M-I-T too.

From a fellow Austin Tanker.

Hey Okeano, I was wondering how you would feel about someone (Maybe me, maybe someone else) using your map danger zones for a map mod?

I'm thinking maybe as an addition or something to Locastans HD minimaps?