Okeano

Okeano & Rexxie's guide on where NOT go to on maps (Updated 12/2/15)

As a guy who is currently predominently playing the Elc, with great cammo, coated optics, and sixth sense. I love to passively scout central positions. I aim for Patroll Duty badge when I'm not farming damage. It seems to me that many of the "avoid" red death trap sites have reasonably good bushes for me to centrally scout. So, while there are absolutely the wrong place to be caught in an AT2, are they perhaps near ideal places for someone like me? Not typical "brawling" gameplay, but more like a lighthouse with an ability to get the hell out when spotted?

Or am I still playing this tank wrong?

Maybe so. My guides are aimed at normal players - seeing someone as dedicated to lights as you is exceedingly rare. Still, playing "lighthouse" might not be as great of a goal as you might think, especially in an ELC.

rexxie how do you play slow heavies with large enemy artillery concentrations on phrok/phrok clone/westfield. im having a lot of trouble finding decent safe spots where i can still contribute other than hard camping. the majority of the time bieng aggressive just means im the first one to get clicked.

Prokh is annoying if you're in a heavy and there's a sizable arty presence. Hug the back of the hill. That's literally all you can do, it's not a question of "how do I carry games on this map" and more of "how do I not get torn asunder immediately". Sometimes pushing the forest road is possible, but it requires a VERY stronk heavy tank and weak campers on the other side. You can probably do it in a ST-I or E-75 against t7 and t8 tds, but thats about all. Bigger TDs means the only thing that can push the road are things like the T95 and E3. Actually getting on the hill can be helpful if you have particularly good view range and/or camo, like a T29, but it's a huge risk because it's VERY easy to get artied once you're spotted.

Thanks for all the work that has been put into this. As someone trying to get better this is really useful. I'm realizing that on some maps I've been heading do yellows or even reds, especially in medium tanks/lights out of a desire of not having to engage the enemy team head on where I feel I'm more likely to be destroyed quickly since it's harder to damage enemy from the front.

I don't want to question whether the spot are the right ones or not so I'd like it if some med/light players could give some tips on how to fight in some of the greens areas that are chokepoint style. I've been having trouble in Airfield in particular as a med since fighting in the greenzone feels like I often have to meet heavies head on. 

Those little sniper perches at E5 and E7 are great for supportish camo meds and combat lights, which have no problems getting up there before TDs or heavies choke the way up. Try to get a few shots  from there. You can then roll down the side of the perch to flex around the map once targets dry up.

Dont actually try to light people early/mid game on this map. It's completely pointless. If you're a light tank, you're just a really fast medium in disguise.

There is =) Going to knock out some of the updated maps.

woop!

This is helpful, but most of the red zones I discovered back in my 45%er days when I derped in and got annihilated in seconds.

This post should be condensed into liquid form and forcibly injected into the eyes of new players before they're allowed to play.

Updated Komarin, Northwest, Sacred Valley, and Sand River. Also, for whatever reason Serene Coast was labeled as outdated even though it wasn't, so that's fixed too.

And, with that, every map is updated. I'm still missing the new maps - Stalingrad in particular - but that's all.

Haven't read this guide since my early learning days, rereading now and going to follow it :) thanks for updating again

3a6167b529b623d4376165e27f75830c.jpg

In the blue area I've added, I've seen some very nice use of early shots there. On some EU streamer, (Some guy in EFE, don't remember his name) he went there in his E50M right in the start, shot the TDs on the hill on the north spawn (got like 3 shots of damage off) than rushed into the middle once they pulled back after getting nailed by him. Would this be a valid tactic for the NA server?

Definitely! Again though, team comps. If you go there as a med, you have the problem of not actually being in the middle. The southern team usually gets to control the middle of the map by default, but if your highest tier meds are sniping from that hill than the north team may drive down and take it. I'd recommend that spot if your team already has enough meds going mid that you arent going to risk losing it.

No problem, glad you guys find this useful.

The following maps do not have an entry: El Halluf, Ensk, Fisherman's Bay, Himmelsdorf, Province, Ruinburg, Stalingrad, and Windstorm. Which few would you like to see first?

Windstorm. And, of course, thank you for the effort.!

There was an update to Mountain Pass. The bush at E4 was removed. 

I was happy to find that I pretty much knew all these points already. Except the D6 area on Prok. I would have always gone to the other side of the tracks. But I can see how it would be usefull in a depression challenged med or td. 

These are really good and simple, but I wonder if orange and yellows would understand why they should go to the green spots. Or if they realize that they work best with tanks that can flex?