Okeano

Okeano & Rexxie's guide on where NOT go to on maps (Updated 12/2/15)

I hope to see a guide for the new maps soon.

The spots in the maps listed have been burned into me after platooning with people better at tanks than me. It's gotten to the point where if a new platoonmate doesn't listen goes to the no-no spots, I would probably ditch the platoon. It just becomes frustrating when a platoonmate plays like another pub.

Thanks for the guide, I was going to ask a similar question but decided to search the forum instead (what a concept!).  This is almost the opposite of what I'm looking for, which in some ways makes it just as useful for me. 

Is there someplace that breaks down, for lack of a better word, best practices on maps?

I know it is hugely situational, and my usual practice has become to not commit to an area until I see how the team distributes then head to a few tank dependent spots where I think I can contribute best.  Sometimes my ideas clash with those of my team when I refuse to go to certain spots I have on my hell no list, a lot of which seem to be on Okeano's red list.  

I'd bet however, that a lot of the spots I think are OK, are really not so great and there are better alternatives, particularly in vision control tanks like the T49 or Hellcat.  Kind of hoping someone has a "great sniping spots" or "best places to hull down" list.  I see terms thrown around like "hill denial spot" on mines or "spotting bush" on Mountain Pass and have absolutely no clue where these might be.  

I linked in OP Sela's more detailed map guides. I'll try to get around to update this in more detail, but I barely have any motivation to play anymore outside of with my tourney team meeting.

The amount of teribads that argue with me about Lakeville valley and its relevance is too damned high.

Hell, I've even seen green players make that argument with me before. o.O

In all my pub games, I think I've seen Lakeville valley rush work twice (once in standard and once in encounter). The time it worked in standard was a low-tier game (BT3 or 4 iirc) and we won by capfast because they other team were newbs who didn't know how to protect their cap from 8-10 tanks rushing through the valley. The time it worked on encounter was because we simply outnumbered them in valley and because our city push held them off just long enough for the valley guys to get through and flank. Otherwise we probably would have lost that one.

I linked in OP Sela's more detailed map guides. I'll try to get around to update this in more detail, but I barely have any motivation to play anymore outside of with my tourney team meeting.

Thanks, I'll dig it out.

I went through the burnout thing with both games I was involved in long term, it sucks. 

Hell, I've even seen green players make that argument with me before. o.O

In all my pub games, I think I've seen Lakeville valley rush work twice (once in standard and once in encounter). The time it worked in standard was a low-tier game (BT3 or 4 iirc) and we won by capfast because they other team were newbs who didn't know how to protect their cap from 8-10 tanks rushing through the valley. The time it worked on encounter was because we simply outnumbered them in valley and because our city push held them off just long enough for the valley guys to get through and flank. Otherwise we probably would have lost that one.

It was a green player who jumped on me the worst about asking only a couple to cover the valley, slammed my idea, my stats, you name it.  We lost because "not enough went valley" because of my "n00b ideas". 

Sure, my stats are slammable... For now... 

Sadly, and I really mean it because now about 20 more people think it is a good idea, it worked for my team last night.  Pointing out that it only worked because the other team was stupider than they were didn't help one bit, pointing out that it worked because my T29 and an IS-3 smashed their low tier heavies (T7 game) in town and came around the back didn't help either. 

What about Komarin?

I've not played a pub game since the patch. I spent 1 minute on it last night to make sure my client works before my tourney and that was about it. They moved the cap circle and made other changes, so I'll have to see.

If Okeano had posted this on the WOT Forums, imagine the shitstorm it would have raised, as sub-50%ers came out of the woodwork to defend their favorite camping spots.

In the spirit of proper scientific investigations I did a quick summary of the replies to the above post and I am surprised that the results were not as clear cut as I expected to see.

By way of explanation - I have included player names so people can check the replies if there is a dispute,  and I have taken any posts that seemed to be "a bet each way" as being "in favour" whereas anyone who said they only go there to defend the valley was taken as "against".

........................................winrate....for/against pushing the valley

ArchMadman...................53.39%    in favour

SourKraut13....................50.71%    "

MrsmilieyfaceC8..............56.3%      "

Batosi.............................49.02%     "

PeterGibbons316...........52.28%     "

dedmonwakin.................52.17%    against

Swoony...........................48.51%    "

Dunfalach.......................48.15%     in favour

xX_C4N4D14N_S1N_Xx ..45.21%    ".................<<Most Vocal supporter of pushing the valley

AMartin223......................57.19%    "................ <<an "only when" sort of post

jonnydeathstar.................53.84%    against

sr360...............................61.8%          "

HighanDry........................54.06%        "

captspears......................48.72%         "

Painbringer71..................48.56%    in favour

cheese_sdc.....................50.88%    against

rustyshackelford3000......49.84%    in favour

strYker555.......................52.05%    against

Played a game today on Lakeville in my FCM. Spawned south went halfway to city and shot some guys who went middle road then realized about 10 red tanks were pushing valley, so told the guys in city to push hard and went back to D. A t28, my platoon mate in an is-6, and I absolutely demolished their entire push in valley as they crept along.

Before we won I said in all chat: "that's why you don't push valley".

I have no doubt there is a time and a team that could make it work but in most pub games I just don't see it work often.

Played Tundra for the first and only time so far....that totally fuckered me up.  Spawned north..went east... dont do this.

Very happy to have found this forum and this thread.   I am a terribad noob.   I'm two weeks into the game and reasonably suck for three primary reasons, in no particular order.

1. I have three kids who, shockingly, think the 10 minutes I want to sit down and play a game is the 10 minutes I most want to see the card they made for me to express their love.   I can not get them to bother me when I'm cleaning the house and don't want to.   But, in the office means, "Let's go talk to daddy.   A lot."   This causes me to start a game and frequently, roughly 20 percent of the time, just exit out and find out later how I did.

2. I have a wife who HATES the fact I even know how to spell "game" much less PLAY computer games.   She will wander through the house casually and I'll have to hide the screen to prevent her from thinking I'd RATHER be playing the game instead of speaking to her about plants or something.   She should intuitively KNOW this to be the case, yet she likes to maintain the illusion I would actually like to talk about squadoosh than to kill tanks.   This causes me to start a game and frequently, roughly 20 percent of the time, exit out and find out later how I did.

3. The remaining time I play, I am hindered by two-week-oldness.   As I go up in tier, they make me play new maps and I suck at them.   Seeing this thread informs me I am almost always the noob in a pub match going to red.   NO WONDER I SUCK.

You guys will cure my third gaming hindrance tonight I know.   Thanks for the time put in here and in other threads I've begun reading.   

The two main causes of noob trap I think are they "feel safe" or easy.

When you're in a valley, you don't have to worry about watching your flanks or shot angles, you just need to watch ahead. Bushes in magic forest make you feel safe, until one scout run through and 5 preaimed guns unload on you. Sitting in those spots unable to affect the battle feels safe, you're not forced to fight many tanks. Sitting at base on Mali is easy, you don't have to climb a hill. Camping base is easy and "safe", you don't have to drive out to the unknown and get shot by invisitanks.

Can we discuss Komarin (even though Okeanosan, you have not played it much since redesign?)

I see people saying the island is the key but every time I have been island I get destroyed.  When I go along one of the flanks we win or get really close and my lack of ability to carry is evident.  In those long matches I usually see the island team stuck there all game.  They are very little help in the rest of the match. I dunno why they suck so hard, but it seems like they can't even get a firing position on the 3 or 4 baddies I'm fighting in the corners.

I would say I die on the island from being too aggressive and improperly positioned.  BUT seeing the survivors do very little all match, doesn't really make me want to go island again.

Please help. Thnx.

From the island you can spot most the map and provide fire support to a side or start flanking an entrenched position. However its also really open to supporting fire from the rest of the map (especially if you push to far up, you basically have to hug the hill on it and not push around), so its up to the guys not on the island to support their island guys when they have a chance. Having too many tanks on the island is stupid, ideally its a top tier high alpha heavy that won't get pushed on easily and possibly something else. Also they might not be doing much, but good luck pushing a corner when a bunch of unspotted tanks pop up behind you because you had nobody stopping them.

From what I can tell from my limited experience - the island on Komarin only becomes deadly if your team loses its presence there. Then the enemy is suddenly free to spot and snipe your team with impunity.

On the other hand, it is almost suicidal to push on the island too hard, too early. The job of anyone going on the island early in the match, is to spot and stay alive while taking any low risk potshot that comes around. The time to clean enemy tanks off the island comes only when the forces on both flanks have made contact and are preoccupied.

As for Okeano's guides. Great work! If I may humbly lodge my disagreement on one map: Redshire. Personally, I consider C7 and D8 valuable positions - although only for a limited number of tanks rather than an attacking force. Pushing through to B8 from the south early is indeed just stupid. But the SE team needs at least one mobile spotter working D8/C8. This adds a lot to the value and survivability of the inevitable F9 ridge campers. On the other hand, ~2 NW team tanks can be useful at C7. Since they can get spots on the F9 ridge campers + can mount flanking fire at tanks going too far up the eastern slope at G5. Bottom line: it's not a good position to have a lot of tanks at but if either side fails to have at least a token presence there, it will suffer.

We run one scout there during CW, just to spot any unexpected push. Ultimately, I don't bother with it in pubs. I can see one tank or so playing the reverse hill to help their respective ridge/hill snipers to vision control. I don't go there because the limited ability to affect the battle. East side push from either base is pretty much entirely not viable until late game. South push get destroy by north hill campers while north push reach the 9 or 0 line and get snipe by G5. Maybe I can spot a couple of campers and maybe they get hit a couple of times before backing into cover. I just don't feel like it's worth the time trying to break that side, the map as a whole is hard enough to break as it is. If people are successfully wining through the east, I'll be happy to look at replays and learn.