PlanetaryGenocide

IS-M - Is Serb > Murazor?

Bump

This thing blows, the gun is actually good (better dpm as IS6, with more pen and better gun handling) but:

• Poor gold ammo, which is bad because;
  • Your slow, so always fight head on, which is bad because;
  • Your armour does poor against high pen / gold ammo / people with luck / people who know what to do

Rear turret is also arty bait and your turret is not very strong, all in all, this tank is awkward and simply not good.

Its ment for head on slugfests, yet there you get wrecked by any tier 9 heavy while many t8 are head on a serious problem also (Lowe, Liberte, Chrystler, O-ho, VK-P, many big tds)

I just resigned myself to spamming HE when pen was an issue. Thankfully the 122s do a couple hundred most of the time so you can at least annoy people enough during those slugfests.

Had a similar experience with the pen, spammed a lot of HE in that thing when I ran into new-wave bullshit tanks. 

The gun handled really nice which made it easy to spam shells. Did not mind the tank as a whole, did well consistently but between the bad MM and limited mobility, carry potential was lacking so ended up with a shit win rate despite enjoying it. Honestly find it better than a 705A. 

One thing that has always impressed me about this tank is just how reliable the armor is on it. Outside of the defender there's basically no T8 HT that can just stroll into a low pen tank and be 100% certain that nothing they do matters. Probably one of the tanks I most dread seeing an average pubbie in when I'm in a T6/7, because I know if our T8s don't deal with it it will 100% just eat a flank alive.

How does the line in general feel these days? Its russian so im sure its fine, but is there like... a point?

I never quite got why they reduced the side armor for the 9 and 10.

I'm not entirely impressed with this tank. It's probably not good that I managed to get a Chrysler before an IS-M, because I think it spoiled me. The IS-M is just so slow in comparison, and god forbid you might have to turn around with the KV5-esque traverse speed. Couple that with bad APCR, vulnerable shoulders, and one of the thinner T8 turrets and I don't think it really manages to pull off what it's aiming for.

33 minutes ago, Rexxie said:

I'm not entirely impressed with this tank. It's probably not good that I managed to get a Chrysler before an IS-M, because I think it spoiled me. The IS-M is just so slow in comparison, and god forbid you might have to turn around with the KV5-esque traverse speed. Couple that with bad APCR, vulnerable shoulders, and one of the thinner T8 turrets and I don't think it really manages to pull off what it's aiming for.

Let me point out also, that the side armor on the IS-M (120mm) is thicker than on the 705 (90) and the 705A (100)-- so it's actually the best sidescraper of the bunch.

Yeah, which is a little unfortunate. Maybe they were going for more of a hybrid thing, but even then that just barely works on the T9 and not at all on the T10. The hybrid sidescrape/superheavy thing is already done (and done better) by the IS-4, so I'm not entirely sure what their goal was with this line's niche.

I have to say that the IS-M has some of the most awful heavy tank server stats that I've ever seen. That has to be mostly because of the absolutely ridiculously bad stock grind, but it's sad that wargaming was okay with making a slow, sidescraping heavy grind out a ton of XP in a T6/7 heavium turret.

Used to be tier 7 was the free XP sink, but increasingly tier 8 has joined that party. 

3 hours ago, Rexxie said:

The turret is actually very good, but I agree with the rest of your points. The worst part is the absolute lack of raw pen and accuracy making fighting stronger heavies an absolutely masochistic experience.

I ended up spamming a bunch of HE just to be able to do any damage. It was rather amusing at times, especially given I rarely use HE otherwise. You set random fires and get pens in all sorts of unexpected places. HE best mechanic.