Deus__Ex__Machina

Another Forbidden British Premium (Centurion Mk. 5/1 RAAC)

Source: https://thearmoredpatrol.com/2018/04/06/wot-supertest-centurion-mk-5-1-raac/  <--click for more pics

idk what is is with WG cock teasing British tank lovers with premiums they refuse to release. the British tech tree being one of the oldest in the game surprisingly has very few premium tanks available, the Chieftain/T95 was a CW tank that was only available as a award once as far as i can remember, and the Caernarvon Action X has been in the files for a good while. And now we get to also "enjoy" watching this thing be dangled above their noses for god knows how long...

Centurion-1.jpg

HP: 1400
Engine power: 950 HP
Weight: 51 t
Max. weight: 53 t
Power-to-weight: 18.63 HP/t
Max. speed forwards/backwards: 50 / -20 km/h
Hull traverse: 36 °/s
Turret traverse: 37.5 °/s
Ground resistance: 0.959 / 1.055 / 1.822
View range: 400 m
Radio range: 782.1 m

Hull armor: 120.7 / 50.8 / 38
Turret armor: 254 / 88.9 / 88.9

Gun: OQF 20-pdr Gun Type B Barrel

Damage: 230 / 230 / 280
Penetration: 226 / 258 / 42
RPM: 8,343
DPM: 1 918,9
Reload time: 7.192 s
Accuracy: 0.316
Aim time: 2.21 s
Gun depression elevation: -10 / +18

Main differences between this and the Cent 1 appear to be the 120.7mm of upper plate armor and the 18.63 power to weight as apposed to the cent 1's 76.2mm of upper plate armor and 16.7 power to weight.

the cent 1 on the other hand gets 50 more HP :party:

other than that its another copy n paste premium cent 1 (counting the primo victora)

3 hours ago, Deus__Ex__Machina said:

idk what is is with WG cock teasing British tank lovers with premiums they refuse to release. the British tech tree being one of the oldest in the game surprisingly has very few premium tanks available, the Chieftain/T95 was a CW tank that was only available as a award once as far as i can remember, and the Caernarvon Action X has been in the files for a good while. And now we get to also "enjoy" watching this thing be dangled above their noses for god knows how long...

You can track the game in its life cycle just by looking at how many prem things they dump out for "sale".

Right now I'd say they are stocking up assets to make cash grabs later. More profitable to announce a "rare" tank way in advance to build up hype than to put something completely new on sale without people knowing what it is. The hype also compensates for its mediocrity.

People paying for this kind of stuff are basically like drug addicts. This drug is called WG's bullshit.

:novaserb:

12 hours ago, Haswell said:

Right now I'd say they are stocking up assets to make cash grabs later. More profitable to announce a "rare" tank way in advance to build up hype than to put something completely new on sale without people knowing what it is. The hype also compensates for its mediocrity.

Did I hear someone say "Chieftain Mk 6"?

If I'm not wrong chieftain/t95 has been used in the mini-campaigns at least twice, while of course the fv4202 was given free to people who did the marathon. The former is decent, while i agree the fv4202 and other british prems are indeed quite lacklustre and there aren't that many of them to begin with. As someone who started playing the game for and with British tanks I've found it quite puzzling..

21 hours ago, OuttaGum said:

Am I confused, or this flatly better than the FV4202? Same gun and speed but more armor...

I thought fv4202 has less dpm

So in other words, a better Centurion. I even heard its supposed to have less movement dispersion than the mk1. Now does that make a meta-breaker? Hell no. Tier 8 mediums are still laughably under-gunned considering the realities of 3/5/7 MM and this is no exception. So this is getting the worst of both worlds, not only is a premium rendering both the mk1 and the 4202 obsolete, its still going to get shat on by the tier 10s every other match or so.

Model is cool, that is about it, the rest is a copy paste tank, even if it's slightly better than the Cent 1 that still doesn't make it a particularly effective tier 8, let alone the fact tier 8s face tier 10 all the time.

It's basically a Cent 7/1 using the 20 lber. 

On 4/8/2018 at 1:38 PM, MagicalFlyingFox said:

Nah this is an Aussie one that got nuked, survived, sent to Vietnam, got hit by an RPG and still survived that too. 

So, Tuesdays?

On 4/7/2018 at 10:38 PM, MagicalFlyingFox said:

Nah this is an Aussie one that got nuked, survived, sent to Vietnam, got hit by an RPG and still survived that too. 

1 hour ago, ThomChen114 said:

So, Tuesdays?

You left out the part where scorpions and spiders and mother fucking nature trying to kill it.

Pretty sure that's how creepy crawlies made it off the island continent.

Necroing seems to be in vogue so...

How do you play this thing?

The platform is excellent, but the gun is one of the worst I've had to use on any tier 8 medium. It's better than the Spershing, but not much beyond that. The bloom makes me feel like I'm back in 2014, except everyone else now has tier 9 gun handling. If you play it like it's intended as a fast hulldown bunker, I find that makes for an even faster trip to the garage thanks to arty focus.

On top of everything it's slower than a T-10 an and has trouble keeping up with an E75 TS. Am trying to make up for the gun handling with food and APCR spam, but it's still derpy as hell.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong and should be playing it like a Panther II that can hulldown?

Edit: the gun really is megashit. anyone who manages 2k dpg in this thing is a physical god

its a Cent 1 with more armor. its about the same really. I do like mine however.
125 battles,  55% wr 1514 avg dmg. 

play as hull down as possible but dont be afraid to bully and push off other meds/lights too. its surprisingly good at sidescraping or baiting shots into the tracks. using odd angles will help as will max gun depression
Vents/rammer/vstab 

14 hours ago, Wanderjar said:

its a Cent 1 with more armor. its about the same really. I do like mine however.
125 battles,  55% wr 1514 avg dmg. 

play as hull down as possible but dont be afraid to bully and push off other meds/lights too. its surprisingly good at sidescraping or baiting shots into the tracks. using odd angles will help as will max gun depression
Vents/rammer/vstab 

thanks for the advice. played like 20 more games on it with full improved equipment and I take back what I said about the gun.

it. can't. snap. I had to go for fully aimed shots for pretty much everything, and it becomes on par with most of the other tier 8 meds. like even the Su-130 snaps better.

the other thing which sorta clicked for me was to play it like a fast.....defensive tank. it either has to fully aim or pre-aim, so you have to either fight low pen enemies from hulldown - if there's no arty, or wait for people to drive into your LoS. also it helped to use low gear for rounding corners so the bloom doesn't go batshit on you.

it is kind of slow, and it's as tall as and as long as most heavies, so the typical medium snapshot/crossfire engagements don't work that well. trying to rush medium positions are also a shitshow as they will most probably be infested with Progettoes/Bourrasques long before you get there. i sometimes find myself going for heavy positions as you are at least faster than 99% of the heavies in tier and can comfortably set up 1-2 free shots before people get into position.

last bit is that while it's kind of crap for lategame cleanup, it is very powerful in lategame stalemates as it has a unique combination of armour, camo, and VR which lets you outposition heavies and bully smaller, lighter meds. what it lacks in damage potential it does make up for in other tools for winning games.

on second thought, it seems to have a slightly higher damage ceiling than the other single shot 240 alpha meds, and so it actually is a pretty good tank. I still prefer the Caern AX, though, which IMO is the best platform for the 240 alpha DPS chainsaws, and the only one excluding the Spaghetti mediums that's any good at farming damage.

On 8/31/2020 at 11:27 PM, lavawing said:

it. can't. snap. I had to go for fully aimed shots for pretty much everything, and it becomes on par with most of the other tier 8 meds. like even the Su-130 snaps better.

Keep in mind that the Centurion 1 (and by proxy the centurion 5/1) was introduced in a time when the average pen for tier 8 mediums was well south of 200mm, so it paid for such high penetration at good turret armour by having terrible gun handling stats.

EDIT: I messed the post up partway somewhere...

A long time ago, in a game far far away... Episode 5: The Heavium Strikes Back

Cent 5/1 RAAC.

Its the t9Cent with 20pdr trading DPM to go down a tier. Gun has good accuracy, can hit weakspots, but needs bloom management. This tank is really a heavium, but not really in the sense the T-10 is. Its more, when its set up, they're toast, but while you're moving, you're a medium.

Characteristics;

~240-260 turret front, ~200 UFP, glass LFP, ~51 sides, autopen floor&roof, wide gun range, accurate high velocity gun makes shooting easy.

1.9k base DPM with 230 alpha is bad. If you move a lot, base 0.17/0.17/0.13 bloom will dunk shots. Like the WZ-120, get used to doing things like locking the turret when turning, looking to minimap to line up shot. Expensive ammo, lots of it. You don't actually need to aim that much, just enough to get high probability of hit.

Good VR bad camo, not very fast thanks to gear ratio shenanigans, like regular cent1 only fast to 30-ish and then rapidly trails off..

Big tank, bleeds a lot when not in cover, thin armor in non vital areas.

Its a heavium that can abuse terrain. Failing that it'll have to rely on its armor. Don't have a fight at point blank, its not just the DPM; the loader and ammo rack die constantly, so even tier 6's are a threat. Get jack of all trades on the commander ASAP. Sixth matters a lot. 

Equipment:

Build to kill.

1. Rammer/Stabs/Vents
  2. Rammer/Stabs/IRM (for acc, and fixes the sluggish turn)

The new bonus to regular equipments is sort of helpful for Cent5/1, but to get the full experience just run food already. 

Here the outrageous build.

Saner build for poor plebs.

Strengths:

1. You're a heavy tank with medium camo and you go 50 kph, it was over before it even started.
  2. You'll even take out progettos if the fight starts at distance, and in pubs, it can actually draw fire keeping the green alive for longer.
  3. It can kinda spot, but from big bushes and hard cover
  4. Particularly at medium distances, tapers off at long, UFP weakens at short.
  5. What you shoot usually isn't wasted.

Weaknesses:

1. The Cent 5/1 is only premium in name. High ammo costs. Get a good crew, or suffer. Also, get something else nice. It trains for tier 8 meds.
  2. You want optics over vents but that'll hurt the gun handling and pitiful DPM. You want vents but then you can't spot and it won't win VR games. If they surprise you, you'll lose because you don't have the raw damage output.
  3. What do you mean exploit? Raw damage output is bad.
  4. Arty will focus you like nothing else, and it can even pen you.
  5. Goes 50 kph like it makes credits.
  6. If you bleed health you die endgame, that's it, its over.

I'm not sure what else to say, if you just give numbers it doesn't illustrate it too well. Just look them up on tanksgg.

Tactics:

First and foremost, its a snappier Cent 1 that goes a little faster, in short moves though, its about the same. Watch out for the turn rate since you won't be turning quickly. Standard tactics apply.

~200 eff UFP opens up a level of flexibility in positioning that none of the other tier 8 meds really have, and this makes the Cent5/1. Its really good at abusing terrain, and armor even works on level ground depending on who and what. In a lot of situations you can make yourself functionally impenetrable to even bullshit like the Renegade.

With some work you destroy other tier 8 tanks with relative impunity.

Its not just that you can hull down almost anywhere now, you can also sidescrape in cities, using small piles of rubble to hide LFP, a bunch of wild stuff. You can contest heavy tanks in their native areas, just be sure that they won't pen because of your alpha disadvantage. You may distinctly be at a handicap but in some places you can have an edge. It depends.

UFP related tactics can work against higher tier tanks, but your UFP won't be good enough.

When they get close (like ram close), you're in a lot of trouble, particularly if they have the DPM, but there's some hope. No one expects the medium to have the UFP you do, so you angle it, and use the side to autobounce. At least waste a couple of shots. 

Gameplay

The Cent is like the heaviums, you have pseudo heavy armor in important places at cost of camo and mobility. A heavy fighting ability. Otherwise, it has the features of similar hulldown meds.

For map deployment the Cent 5/1 just goes wherever you like, so long as you can continually wreck face, its all good. When you look at their lineup, the map, and you go straight for the main fight, and the heaviest tanks. Don't let them trade.

Don't take unnecessary damage because that HP is the only way you can endgame.

You use the top speed to take important positions early on. You don't have to bother with periphery, like Prog or Bour. Repositioning is bad in Cent, and so is being caught unprepared. So I don't think it can play spotting games.

Fundamentally, its more aggressive than its compatriots thanks to better armor and mobility. You get damage output by fighting a lot.

Example positions; K0 on Highway, you're the fastest (presuming high tier), go with heavies on Fjords, heavy side artic region...

Personal

It's not bad at getting numbers, I got ~1.8k no matter how bad, starting at ~2.2k+ but beggars can't be choosers and I'm poor.

It was kinda fun for a bit but then you start to notice the DPM and the euphoria from being a 50 kph heavy dies out pretty fast. The damage output is pitiful compared to shit like a progetto. Its a little tiring really, since I'm not a good player, I don't have my priorities straight, and there's a lot to do.

My positioning is hardly good but the Cent5/1 comes across as simple to play, but demanding. The DPM just isn't there. On the other hand, you don't have to think much about positioning.

6 hours ago, Oicraftian_ said:

EDIT: I messed the post up partway somewhere...

A long time ago, in a game far far away... Episode 5: The Heavium Strikes Back

Cent 5/1 RAAC.

Its the t9Cent with 20pdr trading DPM to go down a tier. Gun has good accuracy, can hit weakspots, but needs bloom management. This tank is really a heavium, but not really in the sense the T-10 is. Its more, when its set up, they're toast, but while you're moving, you're a medium.

Characteristics;

Hide contents

~240-260 turret front, ~200 UFP, glass LFP, ~51 sides, autopen floor&roof, wide gun range, accurate high velocity gun makes shooting easy.

1.9k base DPM with 230 alpha is bad. If you move a lot, base 0.17/0.17/0.13 bloom will dunk shots. Like the WZ-120, get used to doing things like locking the turret when turning, looking to minimap to line up shot. Expensive ammo, lots of it. You don't actually need to aim that much, just enough to get high probability of hit.

Good VR bad camo, not very fast thanks to gear ratio shenanigans, like regular cent1 only fast to 30-ish and then rapidly trails off..

Big tank, bleeds a lot when not in cover, thin armor in non vital areas.

Its a heavium that can abuse terrain. Failing that it'll have to rely on its armor. Don't have a fight at point blank, its not just the DPM; the loader and ammo rack die constantly, so even tier 6's are a threat. Get jack of all trades on the commander ASAP. Sixth matters a lot. 

Equipment:

Hide contents

Build to kill.

1. Rammer/Stabs/Vents
  2. Rammer/Stabs/IRM (for acc, and fixes the sluggish turn)

The new bonus to regular equipments is sort of helpful for Cent5/1, but to get the full experience just run food already. 

Here the outrageous build.

Saner build for poor plebs.

Strengths:

Hide contents
  1. You're a heavy tank with medium camo and you go 50 kph, it was over before it even started.
  2. You'll even take out progettos if the fight starts at distance, and in pubs, it can actually draw fire keeping the green alive for longer.
  3. It can kinda spot, but from big bushes and hard cover
  4. Particularly at medium distances, tapers off at long, UFP weakens at short.
  5. What you shoot usually isn't wasted.

Weaknesses:

Hide contents
  1. The Cent 5/1 is only premium in name. High ammo costs. Get a good crew, or suffer. Also, get something else nice. It trains for tier 8 meds.
  2. You want optics over vents but that'll hurt the gun handling and pitiful DPM. You want vents but then you can't spot and it won't win VR games. If they surprise you, you'll lose because you don't have the raw damage output.
  3. What do you mean exploit? Raw damage output is bad.
  4. Arty will focus you like nothing else, and it can even pen you.
  5. Goes 50 kph like it makes credits.
  6. If you bleed health you die endgame, that's it, its over.

I'm not sure what else to say, if you just give numbers it doesn't illustrate it too well. Just look them up on tanksgg.

Tactics:

Hide contents

First and foremost, its a snappier Cent 1 that goes a little faster, in short moves though, its about the same. Watch out for the turn rate since you won't be turning quickly. Standard tactics apply.

~200 eff UFP opens up a level of flexibility in positioning that none of the other tier 8 meds really have, and this makes the Cent5/1. Its really good at abusing terrain, and armor even works on level ground depending on who and what. In a lot of situations you can make yourself functionally impenetrable to even bullshit like the Renegade.

With some work you destroy other tier 8 tanks with relative impunity.

Its not just that you can hull down almost anywhere now, you can also sidescrape in cities, using small piles of rubble to hide LFP, a bunch of wild stuff. You can contest heavy tanks in their native areas, just be sure that they won't pen because of your alpha disadvantage. You may distinctly be at a handicap but in some places you can have an edge. It depends.

UFP related tactics can work against higher tier tanks, but your UFP won't be good enough.

When they get close (like ram close), you're in a lot of trouble, particularly if they have the DPM, but there's some hope. No one expects the medium to have the UFP you do, so you angle it, and use the side to autobounce. At least waste a couple of shots. 

Gameplay

Hide contents

The Cent is like the heaviums, you have pseudo heavy armor in important places at cost of camo and mobility. A heavy fighting ability. Otherwise, it has the features of similar hulldown meds.

For map deployment the Cent 5/1 just goes wherever you like, so long as you can continually wreck face, its all good. When you look at their lineup, the map, and you go straight for the main fight, and the heaviest tanks. Don't let them trade.

Don't take unnecessary damage because that HP is the only way you can endgame.

You use the top speed to take important positions early on. You don't have to bother with periphery, like Prog or Bour. Repositioning is bad in Cent, and so is being caught unprepared. So I don't think it can play spotting games.

Fundamentally, its more aggressive than its compatriots thanks to better armor and mobility. You get damage output by fighting a lot.

Example positions; K0 on Highway, you're the fastest (presuming high tier), go with heavies on Fjords, heavy side artic region...

Personal

It's not bad at getting numbers, I got ~1.8k no matter how bad, starting at ~2.2k+ but beggars can't be choosers and I'm poor.

It was kinda fun for a bit but then you start to notice the DPM and the euphoria from being a 50 kph heavy dies out pretty fast. The damage output is pitiful compared to shit like a progetto. Its a little tiring really, since I'm not a good player, I don't have my priorities straight, and there's a lot to do.

My positioning is hardly good but the Cent5/1 comes across as simple to play, but demanding. The DPM just isn't there. On the other hand, you don't have to think much about positioning.

Nice write-up.

Couldn't figure out the tank despite like 150 games in it. Playing it like a med kills the damage output and playing as a heavy gets me killed by arta. Despite being able to shrug off same tier heavies when in position, it gets tragically bullied by basically every other heavium in existence - esp things like Renegades/E75s which can just push you, eat a shot or two, and proceed to DPM you to death.

I preferred the Caern AX with turbo for doing very similar things (40kph vs 5/1's ~45), but with a UFP that works on flat ground, higher DPM, and a gun that can snap. also the Cent's armour basically disappears once you have 250 pen or above, whereas the Caern AX can bounce 280-300 ish pen stuff (i.e. same tier TDs) and absorb poorly aimed HEAT.

It's just ultra hard to punish people and farm damage. Take the shooting gallery on Glacier for example - a Renegade could rack up 1k easily but the Cent will struggle to break 500.

btw did you lose your old ac or smth

Thanks
In general Cent 5/1 just doesn't have raw firepower.
Caern AX adds ~30% base DPM without penalty; that's the most important aspect.
The armor I think, isn't even ~250 AP/APCR because the UFP can't be relied on before then, and you lose a lot of flexibility, or bleed massively. 

5/1's armor has 1 small advantage; the cupola is more challenging, I believe, but that's not comforting when confronted with such an absolute advantage overall. The LFP is a little narrower too which helps in sidescraping.

Yes, I did lose my old account

Cent 5/1 firepower limitation combined with relative fragility, its an unrewarding, stressful experience, and it can even go through your credits as you decide its minimum food.

I compensated by going to places like K0 Highway, straight into the fight, damage farm with early position advantage, but there's surely a better way than to just sit in a corner and shoot at people.