Bavor

Looks like Intel is now the best choice for video encoding...

...with Adobe Premiere after the latest update that uses the iGPU on the processor for hardware acceleration.  I wonder if other video encoding software will get a similar update?

I updated Premiere CC today to the latest version, but I don't have any big projects to test with and without the iGPU hardware acceleration yet.

I'd like to see an 8700K vs a 12700x.

0lZuwZO.jpg

On 5/16/2018 at 1:32 AM, MagicalFlyingFox said:

Unfortunately i can't be fucking arsed to spend the extortionate rates that adobe are charging us in AU for CC >.>

I get it for $40/year through a vendor on reddit /r/microsoftsoftwareswap/

10 hours ago, TheMarine0341 said:

0 surprise, Premier is optimized for clock speeds which it clearly Intel will have. Theres still going to be applications where Ryzen make more sense

Its not the clock speed that is giving Intel CPUs the big increase in performance with the latest update.

true, but Premier played nicer with Intel before this anyway. Its a very small (but, nice) thing that will impact minimal # of users. If you're doing a lot of high end video rendering with premier, I would have stuck with Intel anyway but with the i9 series.

2 hours ago, TheMarine0341 said:

true, but Premier played nicer with Intel before this anyway. Its a very small (but, nice) thing that will impact minimal # of users. If you're doing a lot of high end video rendering with premier, I would have stuck with Intel anyway but with the i9 series.

I'd say its a lot more than a minimal number of users.  Depending on who's sales stats you believe, Premiere has 50-75% of the professional and semi pro video editing market.  Premiere also is the most pirated video editing programs on torrent sites.  So its going to have a major effect on many people.

The update also probably made the 8700K one of the best bang for the buck CPUs when it comes to video editing.

On 5/25/2018 at 10:08 AM, TheMarine0341 said:

Most of my work with Premiere Pro is H.264 for YouTube and other online video platforms.  Honestly, people who use higher quality codecs for YouTube are just wasting time.  I tried using higher quality codecs and nobody could tell the difference on YouTube due to YouTube's bandwidth limitations.

I brought this post back from the dead because I've looked into upgrading to a Ryzen 3000 series system for a cheap 12 or 16 core system for video editing.  However, I've been told by others people who use Premiere Pro regularly that a 9th gen i5 will give me the same encoding speed as a 3800X or 3900X and smoother playback while editing than a 3900X or 3800X. 

Puget Systems' Premiere Pro benchmark comparison tests seems to support this.  Even at 4K H.264 100Mbps, the i5-9600K has a higher export speed and export score than the 3800X and 3900X.  The Ryzen systems were benchmarked with faster RAM than the Intel systems.

I wonder if Intel's new GPUs will be compatible with Adobe's use of Intel GPUs to speed up encoding and make editing smoother.  If so, a 3900X or 3950X and an Intel GPU might be the best of both worlds.  I guess we will find out next year when Intel releases their new GPUs.

As long as I keep getting the cheap student price for Adobe CC, Adobe's stuff probably will be my main video editing and encoding software.

I had a chance to test my i7-6700K vs a R7 3800X with Premiere Pro and H.264 encoding.

i7-6700K with iGPU 3000 MHz RAM: 14 minutes 59 seconds
i7-6700K with iGPU and 3333 MHz RAM: 14 minutes 41 seconds
i7-6700K without iGPU: 21 minutes 12 seconds
r7 3800X:14 minutes 37 seconds

I'm sure other video editing software would scale better across cores, but even after Adobe updating premiere pro to use more CPU cores, the 3800X isn't much faster than an older Intel CPU with iGPU accelerated encoding.  

Here is the 3800X encoding a h.264 4K video.  Premiere does use all cores/threads now, just not all of them at 90-100%.

jMazCKo.jpg

Even with a 3950X in my system, I've found out that if you use Adobe Premiere for 4K H.264 encoding, you don't have much of a speed advantage over a mildly overclocked i7-6700K.  If you don't use Premiere of don't do H.264/H.265 encoding your results may be different.  Certain effects in Premiere can make the encoding more CPU intensive and show an advantage with 8 or 16 cores.  However Its not any of the effects I use regularly.

Also, if you use adobe After Effects and do color correction and detail preserving upscale, it seems that After Effects can take advantage of 16 cores/32 threads.

Other video editing/encoding/converting software:

Newer versions of Davinci Resolve use more GPU encoding now, so your GPU may have more of an effect than your CPU with encoding.

Handbrake seems to lose per core gains in improvement with more cores past 6 cores.  However you still do get better results with more cores or faster cores.  On another forum that has a thread of handbrake benchmark results, my 3950X at 4.2 GHz with raised power limits only loses out to newer threadripper CPUs and overclocked Intel HEDT CPUs with much faster clock speeds.