Bavor

i7-8086K

26 posts in this topic

The i7-8086K is now on sale.  Its an 8700K that has a 5 GHz single core bosot speed.  MSRP is about $425 US.  However for less than $425 US you can buy a delidded and binned i7-8700K that does 5 GHz on all cores.

https://ark.intel.com/products/148263/Intel-Core-i7-8086K-Processor-12M-Cache-up-to-5_00-GHz

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12940/intels-core-i78086k-cpu-now-on-sale

8700K delidded and guaranteed tod o 5 GHz: https://siliconlottery.com/collections/all/products/8700k50g

I'd like to see how well the 8086K overclocks on all cores.  A representative from Intel claimed its not a binned 8700K.

My best guess is, it's a binned 8700k. All the stats suggest that it is.

Calling it's gonna be like the X series and next gen CPUs released a couple months after.

It is at best a top binned 8700K. If people decide the extra cost is worth it for the guaranteed extra 300mhz, so be it.

Depending on what source you go by, 80-85% of 8700K's can hit 5.0 GHz on all cores.  I'm not sure if binning is required for a 1 or 2 core 5.0 GHz overclock.

2 hours ago, Bavor said:

Depending on what source you go by, 80-85% of 8700K's can hit 5.0 GHz on all cores.  I'm not sure if binning is required for a 1 or 2 core 5.0 GHz overclock.

well it depends on what people would consider safe voltages. iirc siliconelottery bases it off 1.4v which would include poorly binned cpus.

So it seems that all the well binned 8700ks are available as 8086ks and the new 8700k batches are poorly binned ones.

8 hours ago, Fulcrous said:

So it seems that all the well binned 8700ks are available as 8086ks and the new 8700k batches are poorly binned ones.

Might be the case. I also picked up rumors regarding poor overclocks on the latest 8700K batches.

47 minutes ago, Folterknecht said:

Might be the case. I also picked up rumors regarding poor overclocks on the latest 8700K batches.

Really scummy by intel tbh

But it's a special edition! Obviously it must have something special over its cousin to warrant the extra cost, like the fancy packaging! :doge:

4 hours ago, TheMarine0341 said:

But wait, they have a 28 core chip which will turbo to 5GHz.... :epicsaxguy:

Given enough liquid nitrogen :MingLee:

14 hours ago, Folterknecht said:

I haven't see anything on the various hardware forums I go to mentioning this.  What is the sample size? 

People I've seen on the forums who recently bought 8700K's are getting good overclocking results.  No different than before.

3 hours ago, Bavor said:

I haven't see anything on the various hardware forums I go to mentioning this.  What is the sample size? 

People I've seen on the forums who recently bought 8700K's are getting good overclocking results.  No different than before. 

Probably "poor" in the sense of voltages required.

13 hours ago, Fulcrous said:

Probably "poor" in the sense of voltages required.

"Poor" is the tech press coverage of new CPUs in the last 1-2 years, especially when it comes to the OC section of their reviews and tests.

While the manufacturing process of new silicon gets smaller, the voltage these clowns run to get big numbers and draw attention to their reviews is slowly creeping up. While I know what to make of 1.4+V under air/H2O, the avg user doesn't. Not understanding that short term "bench stable" in this case leads to electromigration in the long run.

2 hours ago, Folterknecht said:

Not understanding that short term "bench stable" in this case leads to electromigration in the long run.

Hear hear. I'm seeing more and more OC reviews only going so far as to cranking the clock speed as high as they can to pass one single benchmark, ignoring most of everything else and most certainly not stress-tested for stability. Getting 5GHz+ doens't mean much if you have to use a compressor to keep it working.

Oh Intel.

xjKBCkZ.png

AMD is offering a 16 core Threadripper to a few of Intel's 40th Anniversary winners

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-amd-sweepstakes-8086k-threadripper-1950x,37320.html

If I won an i7-8086K I'd take the Threadripper swap deal, then resell the Threadripper to buy other hardware.

17 hours ago, Bavor said:

AMD is offering a 16 core Threadripper to a few of Intel's 40th Anniversary winners

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-amd-sweepstakes-8086k-threadripper-1950x,37320.html

If I won an i7-8086K I'd take the Threadripper swap deal, then resell the Threadripper to buy other hardware.

I feel the Threadripper is the wrong chip for that PR stunt - a 2700X + a X470 board would make more sense. Threadripper and Skylake X because of their architecture make "poor" gaming CPUs compared to 6 core Coffeelake. Or they should have gone for a "Replacement Kit" - 2600X + 16GB DDR4 + X470 board which is roughly the same price as a new 8086K.

I saw this on Twitter today...

huifJ2i.jpg

wYzABXX.jpg

On 6/23/2018 at 9:47 AM, Folterknecht said:

an other delidded 8086K

screenshot58mej2h.png

I wonder what the i7-9XXXK series CPUs will do with all core overclocking?  Probably not much different until the die shrink.

On 6/24/2018 at 2:39 PM, Bavor said:

I wonder what the i7-9XXXK series CPUs will do with all core overclocking?  Probably not much different until the die shrink.

Since it's practically the same architecture, you'll see more or less similar overclockability.
See 7700k --> 8700k.