Bavor

Nvidia RTX 20XX GPUs

36 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, TouchFluffyTail said:

DICE managed to hit 1080p 60~ish fps on whatever hardware Nvidia supplied in their playable BFV demo.

I'd really like to know what exactly that hardware is though.

That was on a TitanV iirc which wasnt optimized for RT like the 20XX series are.

7 hours ago, Marty said:

I'd say the best bang-for-your--buck card right now is 1080 - it's fairly regularly on sale for ~400$, and EVGA occasionally sells cards w/o retail box, they had a sale like that yesterday too - 350$

Also keep an eye out on that subreddit, lots of good deals if you're from US.

You're talking to someone who's a fucking addict over the last year or so about PC components. I browse that sub AT LEAST ten times a day along with nowinstock.net, slickdeals.net, and any other subreddit I can find on PC stuff. Right now I'm trying to find some good podcasts to listen to but the only one I've come across so far is This Week In Computer Hardware (TWiCH).

On 8/30/2018 at 11:32 PM, Folterknecht said:

If you think that RT has any relevance for gaming in the next 2-3 years beside 2-3 prestige projects sponsored by NV and therefor you should pay a premium, go out and preorder now. You probably also believe in astrology and nothing can help you anyway. The amount of dedicated RT-hardware on that chip is not big enough to power a game at reasonable resolution and FPS, especially considering that all game engines are also new to this whole thing and need to be optimized/rewritten and game devs to need to learn how to use that shit. Atm the whole RT thing might be good enough to power an additional effect here and there (see PhysX or hairworks in the past).

You seem to be ignoring the fact that RTX in games like BFV is only used to implement specific effects, rather than rendering the entire game in a raytraced fashion. People seem to keep stumbling over this. RTX is not intended for raytracing the entire game in real-time, it's intended as a tool to supplement other rendering methods and improve visual quality.

53 minutes ago, Folterknecht said:

That 's what I wrote o.O

Duurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :-(

4 hours ago, OOPMan said:

You seem to be ignoring the fact that RTX in games like BFV is only used to implement specific effects, rather than rendering the entire game in a raytraced fashion. People seem to keep stumbling over this. RTX is not intended for raytracing the entire game in real-time, it's intended as a tool to supplement other rendering methods and improve visual quality.

Thing is, even doing this the technique has given two wildly different results. DICE's graphical wizards have gotten their ray traced reflection system over 60 fps (according to youtubers) on what might be a 2080ti (according to a youtuber). Meanwhile, the Tomb Raider demo ran between 30-50 fps?

4 hours ago, TouchFluffyTail said:

Thing is, even doing this the technique has given two wildly different results. DICE's graphical wizards have gotten their ray traced reflection system over 60 fps (according to youtubers) on what might be a 2080ti (according to a youtuber). Meanwhile, the Tomb Raider demo ran between 30-50 fps?

This sounds like............normality when a new technology (E.g. hardware RTX) is released that no one has had a chance to work with yet. Some devs are quicker on the ball than others when it comes to getting comfortable with new stuff. DICE are very much kings of visual fidelity. Eidos Montreal....eh....they're okay but not quite in the same league?

The fact that a SOTR demo ran at 30-50fps now tells us pretty much zero about the future of this technology...

5 hours ago, OOPMan said:

This sounds like............normality when a new technology (E.g. hardware RTX) is released that no one has had a chance to work with yet. Some devs are quicker on the ball than others when it comes to getting comfortable with new stuff. DICE are very much kings of visual fidelity. Eidos Montreal....eh....they're okay but not quite in the same league?

The fact that a SOTR demo ran at 30-50fps now tells us pretty much zero about the future of this technology...

SoTR demo was just that. A demonstration of RT. RT won't even be in the base game on launch and will be released much later. The demo was basically an alpha.

On 11/14/2018 at 12:02 PM, Folterknecht said:

The latest driver update improved ray tracing performance by up to 50% in Battlefield V.  Some resolution and settings showed minimal improvement.  Others showed a ~50% improvement.