Sign in to follow this  
sohojacques

Standard B is ... balanced?

Can we even still speak of balance in a game that doesn’t really have any?

Haven’t got the top engine yet. Gets around okay without it.

As far as I can tell the autoreloading mechanic, which could easily be OP, is tempered by having tier 7/8 dpm. Nice bit of novelty in the game.

I think being able to switch between shells without having to reload the whole clip would be a reasonable buff. 

268 pen standard shell is glorious. Definitely need to settle the reticle before flinging the first though. 

16 minutes ago, sohojacques said:

Can we even still speak of balance in a game that doesn’t really have any?

2018 Balanced TM.

Personally i find DPM is only really critical if you are going to play ultra brawly levels of aggression so not really std b thing anyway. But the std b is like a leo prot on steroids. Use hard cover / vision then unleash. Add in an extra rule for the auto reloaders is to try not to take the last shot unless it's for a kill or you know you are going to be in transit or something so the longer reload / dpm won't really be an issue.

But there really is no way around the dpm when it is an issue. Even restricting yourself to 1 or two shots still leaves you with terrible dpm. And that’s fine I’m my opinion. I think it’s a good implementation of the mechanic. 

But just let us swap shells mid clip so I can start using the glorious hesh this tank comes with. 

2 hours ago, Ezz said:

But the std b is like a leo prot on steroids.

The leo prot is already a decent machine since it received gun depression and dpm, the std b is basically the same thing but min/maxes the ability to punish tanks and gives the ability to clip things out for more in exchange for losing out in fights where you need 4-5 shots. Pretty much means its better in almost every situation. 

Basically its a tank that lives or dies on how you play, like pretty much all the autoreloaders bar the tier 8 progetto to an extent which still functions very well as a single shot medium if you limit yourself to 1 shot. Of course limiting yourself to 1 shot is a waste of a progetto, but you get the point. 

You should never get into positions where you need to fire off all your shots and then some, but if you do, its all about calculating the shots you need and when you should wait for your reload. i.e. 1 shot then wait for reload, then unload or 2 shots then 2. Ideally you should never ever pick on someone you can't clip out. If you can trade during the end game and need to end things fast, they need to be 4 shottable. Needing 5+ shots is a situation you should never get into. 

The thing about the autoreloaders is it requires a lot more thought than autoloaders and single shot tanks to maximise the advantage of having one, which makes the mechanic a lot more 'fun' in a clip-management and min/maxing sense. 

Always remaining at least a perceived threat does offset the effective dpm difference between the B and the T50. Definitely fun managing the mechanic.

Ignored my children for long enough to finally grind out the top engine. Tank is fantastically quick with it.

Put my shitty win rate in the Pantera down to tier 8 MM . But I can’t seem to win games in the B either. 176 games for 50% WR. Only recently dropped below 2.4k dpg. I know that’s nothing to write home about. But 50 fucking %....

I know I could be getting more assisted. But I’m also still working on my 3rd crew skill and can’t afford to run food. So my view range and camo are still subpar. But ultimately I have no clue as to why I can’t win in this tank. Got any pro tips for me folks?

On 1/8/2019 at 9:34 AM, Tarski said:

This tank is delightful. 

I would caveat that by saying it is delightful when upgraded.

I'm finding the stock grind pretty painful, so painful in fact I couldn't bring myself to finish the last 5k XP for the top gun and used free XP. I was doing sub 40% win rate with DPG of only 1,100 (worse than my tier 8 mediums). At least with the top gun you can actually do some decent damage, but the mobility still feels sub-par with the stock engine.

1 hour ago, Balthazars said:

I would caveat that by saying it is delightful when upgraded.

That's fair. I usually have some free exp saved for tier 9 stock grinds, so I never experienced it. 

So I do have this thing fully upgraded at long last. I really want to like this tank, I enjoyed the tier 8 and I like the mechanic of the auto-reloader. But good grief the game is trolling me hard whenever I drive it. I can't remember the last time I was penetrated for full damage by arty on such a regular occurrence (4 games in a row for 850+ damage just recently), not even in light tanks. While my DPG has been slowly increasing from the abysmal 1,100 with the stock gun (slowly climbing, currently at 1,600~ish), I continue to be stuck at barely 40% win rate after 105 games. So frustrating.

Is anyone thinking the gun is cancer? unless I aim 100% the shells go everywhere worse than british guns. MIseed 3 shots at 15m from a t57 side. Not bounced. Missed. They went nowhere.

@hazzgar no worse than the PTA or the 7/1 for me, which I played at the same time. None of them can snapshot.

My std b is my happy place. Great when you have the shits with playing the gimped fire power lights. I did the same with the prosecco in FLs. So yeah, as per soho, I guess 'derpy' is all relative.

@Ezz the gun handling on the Pog 46 is :gachi:

Std. B punishes you a lot more for not reigning in your reticle.

1 hour ago, sohojacques said:

@hazzgar no worse than the PTA or the 7/1 for me, which I played at the same time. None of them can snapshot.

Not even snapshoting. Just shots going to another dimension. I don't remember when I had another tank like that. FFs 2100 dpg. LIKE WTF. I might as well be aiming at my dick

@hazzgar that’s how I feel playing the PTA. I do my best to write it off as confirmation bias. But then I take the 430 out for a spin...

Have now finished the grind. 220 games with a horrible 46% win rate, with 1,963 DPG (for comparison, that is the second best DPG for me in a tier 9 medium, better than the E50, Cent 7/1 and T54, only behind the 430 - I have better win rates in all of these tanks). I want to like this tank, and on many levels, I do like this tank, but for me it is totally cursed and I cannot win reliably in it at all.

It has a lot going for it, the clip if you get to dump it is 1,080 damage which means in the right situation you can go from not having done much damage to spitting out a 3-4k damage game just like that. It's two-shot system giving you 700+ damage is also extremely good without totally crippling the overall DPM means it's also very flexible. It's highly mobile, the gun handling is okay-ish, and it can put up some good view range numbers.

The major down-side is the total lack of armour, meaning you will get penned by HE-slingers very frequently and arty will ruin your life. I had one stretch of games where I was full-penned by arty for 700+ damage for five consecutive games. Also takes a ton of module and crew damage.

I like it, but somehow I hate it also because I just cannot win regularly in it and I cannot repair the win rate.

Love the Standard B. One of those tanks that is super rewarding when played right but man do you really have to pay attention to what you're doing because it is so easy to get into trouble with it and it will let you without a second thought.