FlorbFnarb

Am I the only one that likes 3/5/7?

56 minutes ago, Ham_ said:

How ever over a large sample size the skill of your top tiers are irrelevant, everyone has to lose at least 30-40% remember.

The skill is even over the long term, but not necessarily irrelevant.  With fewer top tiers than before, you’d see a significant disparity more often than before, meaning that while it affects everybody equally, it might drive win rates toward the mean, by creating more unwinnable and unlosable matches.

In other words, if we used to have 30% unwinnable matches and 30% unlosable matches, win rates would range from 30% to 70%.  Fewer top tiers might increase the amount to 40% unwinnable and 40% unlosable, so WRs would range from 40% to 60%.

Or maybe my statistical thinking is off here.

28 minutes ago, StormCrowReaperManyHats said:

To answer the OP.

Yes, you are the only one who likes it.

lol

I’m surprised, I would have thought a pool of better players would like a change where being bottom tier never meant your contribution was almost nil and all you could hope for is to farm damage, but then I can see the downsides of being bottom tier and having only a few top tiers.

1 hour ago, Ham_ said:

How ever over a large sample size the skill of your top tiers are irrelevant, everyone has to lose at least 30-40% remember.

You're not wrong and this is one of the reasons I'm indifferent to 3/5/7. The point that I was agreeing with is that in 3/5/7, if you're top tiers are shit, it's harder and if there are more than 3 top tiers. 

i want a regression to the previous MM minus the old arta cus fuck arta.

3-5-7 puts waaaaay too much weigh under the top 3 tanks to influence the match and set the pace that if for some reason your top tiers end up being negative IQ subhuman apes like it generally is you're pretty much fucked if you wanted to do something.

1 hour ago, FlorbFnarb said:

The skill is even over the long term, but not necessarily irrelevant.  With fewer top tiers than before, you’d see a significant disparity more often than before, meaning that while it affects everybody equally, it might drive win rates toward the mean, by creating more unwinnable and unlosable matches.

In other words, if we used to have 30% unwinnable matches and 30% unlosable matches, win rates would range from 30% to 70%.  Fewer top tiers might increase the amount to 40% unwinnable and 40% unlosable, so WRs would range from 40% to 60%.

Or maybe my statistical thinking is off here.

lol

I’m surprised, I would have thought a pool of better players would like a change where being bottom tier never meant your contribution was almost nil and all you could hope for is to farm damage, but then I can see the downsides of being bottom tier and having only a few top tiers.

You are dealing in absolutes, no game is ever "unwinnable" until it is lost, the distribution of the mean can only be changed by actual gameplay mechanics, ie to what extent you can influence the game better then an average person can (vision abuse, weakspots, positioning etc). 

1 hour ago, Ham_ said:

You are dealing in absolutes, no game is ever "unwinnable" until it is lost, the distribution of the mean can only be changed by actual gameplay mechanics, ie to what extent you can influence the game better then an average person can (vision abuse, weakspots, positioning etc). 

I’m not dealing in absolutes, I’m being realistic.  If your team is all red but you and the other team has 8 reds, 3 yellows, 3 blues, and a purple, yes it’s technically possible to win that but the odds are low enough we can discount it.  You’ll lose 5 tanks in the first 90 seconds and never recover.

Another thing to mention, I think I talk here for most purples and people who mark tanks. It's not just winning or losing a game, I care about my personal results(not talking about WN8 btw), and the taste that every game leaves. 1k dmg wins over 5k dmg losses? Not for me at least, I don't wanna win games while feeling completely irrelevant. If i have 3 1k-2k dmg games in 3/5/7 in a row while being +90% in any tier 8, I'm gonna tilt, no matter if we won or lost and probably stop playing that tank or even the game itself. New mm gives me that feeling WAY MORE OFTEN than old mm used to. Another thing to mention is how fucking annoying is to be trying hard tier 10 marks and a 3/5/7 match with 3 artys makes hard as fuck to pass 5k dmg with only one more competent tank in your team, due to the low HP pool and the retarty raining over you. After you reach certain levels in games, if you don't have fun, you simply stop playing.

I like 3/5/7 tbh. Only problem with the template is T8 MM when grinding weak T8s. (T6 seems kinda crap aswell but the time spent at T6 is low)

22 hours ago, FlorbFnarb said:

Really?  Most of the O-Nis I see running around managed to get themselves pincushioned while contributing little.

Great logic mate. Since bad players play a tank that is not bad then 3/5/7 is good. I don't even get the train of thought

I pull 65% on my Oni with the shit crew and I started playing on 16fps bad laptop. Now I play on a PC it will probably go even higher since t7 mm is rather nice recently. Also how can you contribute little in a tank where you don't have to aim and you can deal 1k dmg if ppl show your side to them? Seriously top tier oni only has trouble if your team doesn't support you since you can't dpm your way out of situations. 

3 hours ago, hazzgar said:

Great logic mate. Since bad players play a tank that is not bad then 3/5/7 is good. I don't even get the train of thought

I pull 65% on my Oni with the shit crew and I started playing on 16fps bad laptop. Now I play on a PC it will probably go even higher since t7 mm is rather nice recently. Also how can you contribute little in a tank where you don't have to aim and you can deal 1k dmg if ppl show your side to them? Seriously top tier oni only has trouble if your team doesn't support you since you can't dpm your way out of situations. 

That's not what I said; I was just expressing surprise that the thing is considered a powerful tank when my impression based on watching them has been that they get a shot in and die.  No further conclusion to draw than that.

I have 66.66% in my O-Ni and literally all i did was RR into enemy tanks and go valley in lakeville every time. Its a fucking retarded RR turn off brain and literally stop thinking tank. 

All you really need to think is "How many tanks do the enemy have, how many tanks do we have, what tanks are they, quick maffs, PUSH!!!!"

22 minutes ago, FlorbFnarb said:

That's not what I said; I was just expressing surprise that the thing is considered a powerful tank when my impression based on watching them has been that they get a shot in and die.  No further conclusion to draw than that.

Lowe drivers are also shit yet the tank is awesome. 

24 minutes ago, hazzgar said:

Lowe drivers are also shit yet the tank is awesome. 

You're literally the first person I've ever seen say that.

On 9/5/2018 at 1:16 PM, FlorbFnarb said:

Really?  Most of the O-Nis I see running around managed to get themselves pincushioned while contributing little.

Yeah, again I think so much of this boils down to the goddamned maps.  So many are designed for top tier heavies to sidescrape and get hull down and shoot at each other from 50 meters that it isn't even funny.

Bobjects and Type 5s don't need hull down spots, hull down spots can be bypassed and ignored, a rolling bunker can generally do whatever the f*ck it likes if there are not sufficient options to get it into a cross fire and that is the issue with the corridor maps.

@Ham_ I farmed 8k damage from that spot in an E75, most players don't know how to work those spots, IMO the issues with those maps are like many of the other new maps the cancerous base camping ledges that overlook open ground on almost every approach. 

5 hours ago, FlorbFnarb said:

You're literally the first person I've ever seen say that.

Then you're not reading enough wotlabs. Many people here like the Lowe. The opinion that it's shit comes from pre buff times so it is years old. You get a tank with 400m base view range, good gun depression, a turret that will work against t10 standard rounds unless you give them chance to aim, high pen, accurate gun with fast shells, strong premium round, good sidescraping ability. Go to tanks gg and compare it to Liberte. It's better in most ways. Yeah it has a weak lfp but at least it doesn't have retard cheeks and shit sides.

All I've ever heard positive about it are the accuracy, pen, and gun mantlet, and that the armor and mobility were shit.  What did they buff?

21 minutes ago, MagicalFlyingFox said:

They hugely buffed the armour a while ago to make it actually decent so now its a slow boring effective tank instead of a slow boring ineffective tank. 

lol

That kinda sounds like the entire Japanese heavy line except for the O-I Exp.

1 hour ago, hazzgar said:

@FlorbFnarb you jinxed me. Now I get 3 arty in every game in my oni or my allies fail every battle and my flank is left alone...

lol

It's what I seem to see somehow.  They blap one guy for some damage then get pincushioned.

Is the thing as well-armored for its tier as the Tier 6 O-I?  Because I've never been overly impressed with what I've seen of the O-I either, really; well-armored but on open-ish maps meds just load gold, flank for a flat shot on the sides, and have little trouble penning.

I miss the unpredictablilty of the old MM. Never knowing if I was going to be the only tier 8 in a tier 10 fight, or feast on T6/7s.

Matches feel stale now. You either have to chase the damage before your 3/5 eat it all or you die to a power crept tier 10 in 30 secs. T8 used to be one of my most fun tiers to play, now you basically have to play T9 or gtfo. Prem rounds used to be an option to use, now its a necessity. Bring back frontlines.

21 hours ago, FlorbFnarb said:

lol

It's what I seem to see somehow.  They blap one guy for some damage then get pincushioned.

Is the thing as well-armored for its tier as the Tier 6 O-I?  Because I've never been overly impressed with what I've seen of the O-I either, really; well-armored but on open-ish maps meds just load gold, flank for a flat shot on the sides, and have little trouble penning.

You need support. The problem is people have been camping like retards on EU this weekend plus I got too agressive after a long 3 mark sesion on my lights. 

31 minutes ago, hazzgar said:

You need support. The problem is people have been camping like retards on EU this weekend plus I got too agressive after a long 3 mark sesion on my lights. 

I thought that was the stereotype of the EU server anyway: 3/4 the team playing TDs and parked on the back of the map not moving for 5 minutes straight, with the Russians being the flip side of that coin and everybody YOLOing to death inside 3 minutes?

On 9/8/2018 at 3:53 PM, FlorbFnarb said:

I thought that was the stereotype of the EU server anyway: 3/4 the team playing TDs and parked on the back of the map not moving for 5 minutes straight, with the Russians being the flip side of that coin and everybody YOLOing to death inside 3 minutes?

Yeah but it was worse this weekend for some reason. You literally saw 12 players in 3 squares of the map