leggasiini

My impressions of the Polish line (Wotlabs edition)

Two year old review with little amount of games played with the tier 5 on the release date, so my opinions of the tier 5 should be taken with a grain of salt (and the review in general, most of opinions are more or less the same but I'd rate the tier 7 higher now), but overall my opinions haven't really changed regarding the tank. I didn't like the tier 5, the combination of large size + no armor (even turret armor felt useless in most scenarios aside from not being HE pennable) + bad gun handling even for tier 5 made it really awkward to play. The pen and alpha as well as speed was nice but the gun trolled me to hell, it felt like it couldnt hit anything and if I went to close range I'd just get melted. It didn't feel particularly strong to me, but I've generally heard very mixed opinions of it so it might be better now than I rated it back 2 years ago. HP buffs might've also helped it, so it might be more fun to play than it was when I played it.

The tier 6 is still undoubtedly fucking abysmal, though. What is even funnier is that the BUGI (upcoming tier 6 tank of the PL medium line) is basically the same thing as 40TP but just better; it has more armor, better mobility, gun dep and to make it even more insulting it gets the same gun BUT for some reason it gets better gun stats. The only advantage the 40TP has over the BUGI is the reverse speed (for some reason BUGI has trash reverse speed for a MT, which probably will make it awkward to play as well). The 40TP even had fairly reasonable power to weight ratio of around 16-17 hp/ton on supertest, I'm almost certain they INTENTIONALLY nerfed it purely to make it a free XP pit. It's one of the most obvious examples of intentionally shitty tank to make people waste free XP. Its just like a tier 6 AMX 65t. The 65T was likely balanced around its insane 257 / 325 mm pen it originally had on the supertest back in 2016, but that massive pen got giganerfed to below-average for tier 8 to fit the rest of the line with no stats getting compensated.

Finishing up the T8, wow. What a hellish stock grind. Otherwise it's okay - the gun carries it super hard, to the point where you might feel like you did nothing before reading the score card and seeing you did 3k. On the other hand, 218 AP/245 APCR pen is terrible. With so little difference between the two rounds, dabbing your 2 key is literally a placebo most of the time. Armored T9/10s will tell you to get fucked and with no armor and fairly middling mobility, there's nothing you can do about it.

So far I haven't really enjoyed my time with the line. The stock grinds being awful is a big part of that, but the real problem I have is how boring they are. Maybe the T9/10 will change my mind about that, but right now I'm not feeling it.

On 7/14/2020 at 4:18 AM, leggasiini said:

Two year old review with little amount of games played with the tier 5 on the release date, so my opinions of the tier 5 should be taken with a grain of salt (and the review in general, most of opinions are more or less the same but I'd rate the tier 7 higher now), but overall my opinions haven't really changed regarding the tank. I didn't like the tier 5, the combination of large size + no armor (even turret armor felt useless in most scenarios aside from not being HE pennable) + bad gun handling even for tier 5 made it really awkward to play. The pen and alpha as well as speed was nice but the gun trolled me to hell, it felt like it couldnt hit anything and if I went to close range I'd just get melted. It didn't feel particularly strong to me, but I've generally heard very mixed opinions of it so it might be better now than I rated it back 2 years ago. HP buffs might've also helped it, so it might be more fun to play than it was when I played it.

The tier 6 is still undoubtedly fucking abysmal, though. What is even funnier is that the BUGI (upcoming tier 6 tank of the PL medium line) is basically the same thing as 40TP but just better; it has more armor, better mobility, gun dep and to make it even more insulting it gets the same gun BUT for some reason it gets better gun stats. The only advantage the 40TP has over the BUGI is the reverse speed (for some reason BUGI has trash reverse speed for a MT, which probably will make it awkward to play as well). The 40TP even had fairly reasonable power to weight ratio of around 16-17 hp/ton on supertest, I'm almost certain they INTENTIONALLY nerfed it purely to make it a free XP pit. It's one of the most obvious examples of intentionally shitty tank to make people waste free XP. Its just like a tier 6 AMX 65t. The 65T was likely balanced around its insane 257 / 325 mm pen it originally had on the supertest back in 2016, but that massive pen got giganerfed to below-average for tier 8 to fit the rest of the line with no stats getting compensated.

They also very nicely made the hull sides 40mm on the 40TP (fitting, right) so 122 mils can overmatch and your misery in two shots. Still, I didn't find the tank particularly bad as the combination of 240 alpha and a small profile still lets you do more than most tier 6s, at least back when 240 alpha was special. 

40 minutes ago, Rexxie said:

Finishing up the T8, wow. What a hellish stock grind. Otherwise it's okay - the gun carries it super hard, to the point where you might feel like you did nothing before reading the score card and seeing you did 3k. On the other hand, 218 AP/245 APCR pen is terrible. With so little difference between the two rounds, dabbing your 2 key is literally a placebo most of the time. Armored T9/10s will tell you to get fucked and with no armor and fairly middling mobility, there's nothing you can do about it.

So far I haven't really enjoyed my time with the line. The stock grinds being awful is a big part of that, but the real problem I have is how boring they are. Maybe the T9/10 will change my mind about that, but right now I'm not feeling it.

The T8 used to be the creme de la creme of tier 8 gunnery heavies, only to be displaced by the Renegade. It's still marginally more balanced as a platform, and the low pen can be worked around with by being opportunistic with your shots. I didn't find it boring - just frustrating against certain matchups.

The T9 made up for it. JT gun on an ST-I? I'll take it. 300 pen APCR. 2k HP. Tiny tank. Mid-mounted turret allowing decent sidescrape. UFP that gives almost anything a hard time.  350mm turret face. 

Finally, some good fucking brawling.

but why is it so muddy

Edited by Rexxie