Ham_

IS-3A - Fair and Balanced edition

for those wondering how this made it past CT?

Only those who previously owned an IS-3A could actually test it on CT, and the IS-3A is one of the least popular tier 8 premiums with roughly only 30k people owning one worldwide. And of those few who owned one hardly any of them bothered to actually test it on CT, when i personally heard this was on CT i rushed to find content/coverage on the vehicle only to find next to nothing on YouTube (aside from original IS-3A vids) and near nothing on the forums. If WG had just allowed the IS-3A to be purchasable on CT in the tech tree with gold, or simply given it to all the accounts on CT. This problem would have likely never happened. All that being said, i will enjoy smashing peoples face in with it.  

Long Story Short:

its and IS-3 with all the benefits of the auto-reloading system. but none of the draw backs.

you start the match loading a full clip,

dump said full clip into the first poor unsuspecting soul (doing roughly 1200 dmg in 6 seconds)

and from there you achieve having a faster reload than a standard IS-3 on your first shell, only regaining more shells during any downtime.  

Also for those wondering about the Worse mobility and gun handling?  the tank is no doubt slower than a standard IS-3, but by no means slow because Russian engineering stronk. You still go 30-35 on avg in a straight line, it just takes a bit longer to get there. And while the acc and gun handling is worse than the standard IS-3, the aim time is half a second shorter at 3 seconds as apposed to 3.5. which IMO somewhat compensates for the worse acc and handling (providing you have a good crew) so if your used to the standard Russian 122mm style of game-play it wont be that big a deal.

Another benefit the tank has over the normal auto-reloaders is the ability to switch shell types quickly and easily due the the first shell being the fastest reload when fully emptying the magazine. 

and 1,400m/s shell velocity memes 

7 minutes ago, Deus__Ex__Machina said:

its and IS-3 with all the benefits of the auto-reloading system. but none of the draw backs.

Long Story Short:

you start the match loading a full clip,

dump said full clip into the first poor unsuspecting soul (doing roughly 1200 dmg in 6 seconds)

and from there you achieve having a faster reload than a standard IS-3 on your first shell, only regaining more shells during any downtime.  

Also for those wondering about the Worse mobility and gun handling?  the tanks is no doubt slower than a standard IS-3, but by no means slow because Russian engineering stronk. You still go 30-35 on avg in a straight line, it just takes a bit longer to get there. And while the acc and gun handling is worse than the standard IS-3, the aim time is half a second shorter at 3 seconds as apposed to 3.5. which IMO somewhat compensates for the worse acc and handling (providing you have a good crew) so if your used to the standard Russian 122mm style of game-play it wont be that big a deal.

Another benefit the tank has over the normal auto-reloaders is the ability to switch shell types quickly and easily due the the first shell being the fastest reload when fully emptying the magazine. 

I kinda feel as though that shoulda been the mechanic for auto-reloaders all along. Longer for each successive shell, BUT the single shell reload shouldn't beat a single shot version... Give them the ability to dump, penalize them for playing poke games.

14 minutes ago, Errants said:

I kinda feel as though that shoulda been the mechanic for auto-reloaders all along

Pretty much. The progetto went from being what would have been yet another mediocre 240 alpha tier 8 med flavour of meh, to being one of the most effective 8 prems based on the non idiot proof auto reloader mechanism. Meanwhile the is3a is the latest of WG's shit to play, shit to play against tanks.

Yeah, this one definitely looks like a blatant money-grab. As it stands, it's basically whenever there is a lull in the fighting, reload your whole clip so that then you get this amazing burst damage option. Then you can fight as per normal, where you are a slightly higher DPM IS3 with slightly worse gun-handling stats.

And of course it's one of the tanks in the loot boxes this year.

I suppose the 'up' side is that it would be relatively easy to fix, they could just reverse the reloads again.

34 minutes ago, Balthazars said:

Then you can fight as per normal, where you are a slightly higher DPM IS3 with slightly worse gun-handling stats.

Or if you are in a 1 v 1 corner fight you just sit and force the other person to poke as they'd know full well that you're just reloading a full burst.

Tier 8 is becoming more and more like tier 10 with every new patch:

You gotta have:

• big gun, no fun (srsly su-130 spam is aids)
  • retarded (turret) armour (250 EA or btfo)
  • -7 gun dep (micropositioning is sooo 2013)
  • high pen (~220 pen)
  • armour that resists high pen (~250mm)
  • gold spam to pen said armour (~260mm or above)
  • armour to resist said gold pen (autobounce, Chrysler, or Defender)
  • unspottable camo gods
  • autoloaders
  • moar autoloaders
  • HE does moar damage 
  • wat is a generalist?

I more suspect it got through because it was a poor and underplayed Russian tank and the Russians wanted it buffed to relevance.  They seem to care less about tanks being broken or OP generally and more so if they are Russian tanks or premiums, or both. 

IIRC When Defender came out, a lot of complaints were seen on the RU server that is was not very good. 

only played a handful of games so far just like i speculated above:

the "terrible" accuracy and aim-time is 100% a lie, no noticeable difference from a normal IS-3.

the "terrible" mobility is also a lie, just a bit slow to accelerate. 

the only noticeable "downside" i can give the vehicle is the gun depression.

Have already had several occasions over the course of the few games where, i dump my clip only to have the enemy tank push forward for shots (thinking that im on a long reload ofc) only to get tagged again or killed. Literally a flawless tank when it comes to brawling.

its disgusting, and im making fucking bank all the while because A: Christmas bonus. and B: i mostly shoot the standard rounds for 1,400 m/s velocity memes (also because fuck HEAT) 

this tank shouldn't exist and more over i hole heatedly agree with QB that it shouldn't be in lootboxes forcing people to gamble for a chance to win it. 

Also it was calculated that you need to buy at least 100 boxes to give yourself a fair chance at winning one, which is about 150$ USD

16 minutes ago, Deus__Ex__Machina said:

the "terrible" accuracy and aim-time is 100% a lie, no noticeable difference from a normal IS-3.

the "terrible" mobility is also a lie, just a bit slow to accelerate. 

the only noticeable "downside" i can give the vehicle is the gun depression.

Have already had several occasions over the course of the few games where, i dump my clip only to have the enemy tank push forward for shots (thinking that im on a long reload ofc) only to get tagged again or killed. Literally a flawless tank when it comes to brawling.

its disgusting, and im making fucking bank all the while because A: Christmas bonus. and B: i mostly shoot the standard rounds for 1,400 m/s velocity memes (also because fuck HEAT) 

this tank shouldn't exist and more over i hole heatedly agree with QB that it should be in lootboxes forcing people to gamble for a chance to win it. 

Also it was calculated that you need to buy at least 100 boxes to give yourself a fair chance at winning one, which is about 150$ USD

I feel like the biggest reason to be pissed off is that they literally only buffed it back to relevance (and beyond) for the sole reason that they could put it in lootboxes.

Broken tanks are nothing new, but tanks that are intentionally broken so you can gamble on them are a new low even for WG

4 hours ago, Deus__Ex__Machina said:

I bought the $75 box pack in the store and got 2 IS-3As so I got the gold value for the 2nd one.  Overall I received about $300 worth of gold premium time, and vehicles from my purchase.

I needed some gold so I bought 25 boxes. Got more gold than I would have from the same amount of money spent on purchasing gold, as well as 9 premium days, a bunch of silver I didn't need, three tier 5 premium tanks and the decorations to get the four girl tankers.

Oh. And I also got an IS-3A.

I only managed to play one game with it but I struggle to see how this got through any sort of quality control. Or, I would be struggling to see that if I didn't know the quality control consisted of estimating how much money putting an OP tank in the Christmas boxes would net them. Flat out much, much better than an already good heavy tank.

1 hour ago, Kymrel said:

I only managed to play one game with it but I struggle to see how this got through any sort of quality control.

Fallout 76 case. Somehow M$ and Sony gave it green light. 

11 hours ago, Deus__Ex__Machina said:

Really? Feels awful to be, amongst the worst gun handling you can experience these days outside like a derp or 183, especially as pretty much every big alpha heavy has had gun handling buffs over the last few years.

it's fcking awful IMO. 

Makes the tank broken more than OP IMO, it's annoying to play with and against, it has 183 memes about it. 

49 minutes ago, tajj7 said:

Really? Feels awful to be, amongst the worst gun handling you can experience these days outside like a derp or 183, especially as pretty much every big alpha heavy has had gun handling buffs over the last few years.

it's fcking awful IMO. 

Makes the tank broken more than OP IMO, it's annoying to play with and against, it has 183 memes about it. 

I run food with it and the gun still feels miles worse than on the IS-3, which can out snap almost everything in tier thanks to its inexplicable .8 turret bloom. The 3A has .15 base which is almost twice as bad as the IS-3, and has a quarter worse movement bloom. That means while I can play much more aggressively in the IS-3 since I can reliably damage your opposition on the move and flex faster, I actually end up reining in my aggression in the 3A since I can't count on hitting my shots unless I have at least two loaded.

That's not to say the 3A isn't good or too good, just that playing it is not as braindead as it looks like. Since the gun is a blunderbuss and the chassis is kind of sluggish, it actually takes a modicum of finesse to make the most out of the tank. It IS head and shoulders above most other heavy autoloaders in tier, but tbh other than the Somua it really hasn't any competition.

IMO it's better than the Defender in good hands but much worse in bad ones. However tier 8 doesn't really need more autoloaders and this makes tier 8s even more cancer than it already is - imagine playing a Tiger II or T32 in 2018.

Also bear in mind I play on Asia with the good MM so it might be easier to work around the gun's derpiness than in good ol 3 5 7.

2 hours ago, Ham_ said:

Chrysler K syndrome? Broke tank that sucks to play?

It's much easier to play. Hull down it's still a problem to t10 tanks + if you dump the clip and then shoot single shot you get 3000dpm for the first minute. So lol. 

Also I love the obvious case of some pubbies thinking it will make them good and getting dissapointed again so they call it shit.

I didn't play it but I'd probably prefer the somua though since I pull the same dpg in mine as I do in my wz1114.

45 minutes ago, hazzgar said:

It's much easier to play. Hull down it's still a problem to t10 tanks + if you dump the clip and then shoot single shot you get 3000dpm for the first minute. So lol. 

Also I love the obvious case of some pubbies thinking it will make them good and getting dissapointed again so they call it shit.

I didn't play it but I'd probably prefer the somua though since I pull the same dpg in mine as I do in my wz1114.

I wouldn't say IS-3s hull down is anything special, that roof is terrible and arty pennable.

57 minutes ago, Ham_ said:

I wouldn't say IS-3s hull down is anything special, that roof is terrible and arty pennable.

But it is. The turret is very very strong and you have to hit the exact spot to pen it. Hell it has a better turret than a E100 a tier X super heavy. Plus you have to add the retarded side armour and the possibility to reverse-sidescrape like a boss. The front hull can be amazing with just some slope. Do you really think this tank can play in the same tier as a Tiger 2?

4 hours ago, lavawing said:

I run food with it and the gun still feels miles worse than on the IS-3, which can out snap almost everything in tier thanks to its inexplicable .8 turret bloom. The 3A has .15 base which is almost twice as bad as the IS-3, and has a quarter worse movement bloom. That means while I can play much more aggressively in the IS-3 since I can reliably damage your opposition on the move and flex faster, I actually end up reining in my aggression in the 3A since I can't count on hitting my shots unless I have at least two loaded.

That's not to say the 3A isn't good or too good, just that playing it is not as braindead as it looks like. Since the gun is a blunderbuss and the chassis is kind of sluggish, it actually takes a modicum of finesse to make the most out of the tank. It IS head and shoulders above most other heavy autoloaders in tier, but tbh other than the Somua it really hasn't any competition.

IMO it's better than the Defender in good hands but much worse in bad ones. However tier 8 doesn't really need more autoloaders and this makes tier 8s even more cancer than it already is - imagine playing a Tiger II or T32 in 2018.

Also bear in mind I play on Asia with the good MM so it might be easier to work around the gun's derpiness than in good ol 3 5 7.

The gun while a bit derpy can clip a tier 6 in 2 shots, a tier 7  and a tier 8 td/lt in 3, while gaining DPM. 

Looking at the numbers on paper it appears reasonable at first glance. The fire on the move, turret bloom, and accuracy stats are all abysmal. Mobility is closer to a wash due to soft stats on medium ground. The real outlier is the RoF, which is showing as 9 on 3dmodels. I'm guessing that's not totally accurate, since that would literally be double the DPM of the IS-3 at 3500 vs. 1760, but whatever it is it's probably still a large difference. The value of an autoloader of that nature is hard to quantify on paper though, especially since it's just straight up superior to any loading system in the game. Accuracy is also of questionable value in this game due to the ridiculous "ludicrous miss-dead center-ludicrous miss" loop of the shot distribution. I could easily see it being more than the sum of its parts.