Ham_

IS-3A - Fair and Balanced edition

24 minutes ago, Jesse_the_Scout said:

Looking at the numbers on paper it appears reasonable at first glance. The fire on the move, turret bloom, and accuracy stats are all abysmal. Mobility is closer to a wash due to soft stats on medium ground. The real outlier is the RoF, which is showing as 9 on 3dmodels. I'm guessing that's not totally accurate, since that would literally be double the DPM of the IS-3 at 3500 vs. 1760, but whatever it is it's probably still a large difference. The value of an autoloader of that nature is hard to quantify on paper though, especially since it's just straight up superior to any loading system in the game. Accuracy is also of questionable value in this game due to the ridiculous "ludicrous miss-dead center-ludicrous miss" loop of the shot distribution. I could easily see it being more than the sum of its parts.

tanks.gg and 3dmodels allow a gun rammer to be mounted, which is not the case on live. so that 9 second reload is incorrect 

also im not sure if it affects the stats shown, but tanks.gg incorrectly displays the IS-3A as a normal auto-reloader.

4 hours ago, Ham_ said:

I wouldn't say IS-3s hull down is anything special, that roof is terrible and arty pennable.

You mean a t8 tank with basially the same turret you get on an obj257 and is4 is nothing special? Man you are a very good player. Don't say a mobile tank with a good gun has bad armor because it's not impenetrable. If you move back and forth most people miss the turret overmatch part. The rest of the turret is 360mm with 2 tiny areas of 280. ON A T8 Tank with a gun that has 0.08 turret dispersion...

2 hours ago, Jesse_the_Scout said:

Looking at the numbers on paper it appears reasonable at first glance. The fire on the move, turret bloom, and accuracy stats are all abysmal. Mobility is closer to a wash due to soft stats on medium ground. The real outlier is the RoF, which is showing as 9 on 3dmodels. I'm guessing that's not totally accurate, since that would literally be double the DPM of the IS-3 at 3500 vs. 1760, but whatever it is it's probably still a large difference. The value of an autoloader of that nature is hard to quantify on paper though, especially since it's just straight up superior to any loading system in the game. Accuracy is also of questionable value in this game due to the ridiculous "ludicrous miss-dead center-ludicrous miss" loop of the shot distribution. I could easily see it being more than the sum of its parts.

The problem is. IS3A wasn't an underperforming tank before. This is a massive buff to a tank that had 50.5% average wr. So paper stats armchair designing is not really valid when all you need to know a massive buff to a balanced tank = op tank. 

Also yeah the gun is derpy but the armor allows you to aim more. For the same reason people report the Somua to be way more accurate than the Lorriane when it really isn't. People bounce off you in panic or you can sit there 0.5s longer. All you need rly. Also 122 overmatch memes

On 12/13/2018 at 12:15 PM, tajj7 said:

I more suspect it got through because it was a poor and underplayed Russian tank and the Russians wanted it buffed to relevance.  They seem to care less about tanks being broken or OP generally and more so if they are Russian tanks or premiums, or both. 

IIRC When Defender came out, a lot of complaints were seen on the RU server that is was not very good. 

Yeah but it shows WG doesnt look at tanks performance. IS3A wasn't underperforming so there was literally no reason for a buff while they are still afraid to buff the leopard

2 hours ago, Jesse_the_Scout said:

I'm not entirely sure that 'reasonable at first glance' can ever apply to a tank with all the advantages of an autoreloader with NONE OF THE DRAWBACKS.

25 minutes ago, hazzgar said:

You mean a t8 tank with basially the same turret you get on an obj257 and is4 is nothing special? Man you are a very good player. Don't say a mobile tank with a good gun has bad armor because it's not impenetrable. If you move back and forth most people miss the turret overmatch part. The rest of the turret is 360mm with 2 tiny areas of 280. ON A T8 Tank with a gun that has 0.08 turret dispersion...

I never said the armor was bad, but the problem is that its so low profile that the taller the opposing tank is the weaker the turret is. If you have a KV-5, IS-3s are literally no problem hulldown unless they are above you and that discrepancy is worse the closer you are. It's literally the reason people used to take T32s into team battles because it was far better holding hulldown spots on himmels, and don't act like the roof isn't a problem with those tanks either.

15 minutes ago, Ham_ said:

I never said the armor was bad, but the problem is that its so low profile that the taller the opposing tank is the weaker the turret is. If you have a KV-5, IS-3s are literally no problem hulldown unless they are above you and that discrepancy is worse the closer you are. It's literally the reason people used to take T32s into team battles because it was far better holding hulldown spots on himmels, and don't act like the roof isn't a problem with those tanks either.

The normal IS-3 has a best in tier turret. The IS3As' is slightly better in that it has better cheeks which are proof against guns with around 250-260 pen. The turret weakspot does not stop the IS-4 from blocking damage and the IS-3A is no different.

Besides neither the IS-3 or the 3A are brick heavies, their ability to sit and block damage is not really the point. Unless you're trading fire in really static slugfests the weakspot is just not going to be a problem.

52 minutes ago, Ham_ said:

It's not. You move people will miss the turret roof 8/10 times. You will hit their weakspot in that time. The only advantage the t32 is it can move less and not be penned. So it's slightly better at holding positions against a similarly numbered oponents (since if they rush I'd still rather have the more reliable is3 gun). If is3 was slow or had a bad gun the turred could be called into question but since it isn't it's good

28 minutes ago, lavawing said:

The normal IS-3 has a best in tier turret. The IS3As' is slightly better in that it has better cheeks which are proof against guns with around 250-260 pen. The turret weakspot does not stop the IS-4 from blocking damage and the IS-3A is no different.

Besides neither the IS-3 or the 3A are brick heavies, their ability to sit and block damage is not really the point. Unless you're trading fire in really static slugfests the weakspot is just not going to be a problem.

Yeah, no, the T32 has the best turret in tier. 

I've noticed very few people are able to use this tank to it's potential which is a relief, but it's an absolute nuisance when a purple has one because it's end game impact is insane when played right.

18 hours ago, Ham_ said:

I've noticed very few people are able to use this tank to it's potential which is a relief, but it's an absolute nuisance when a purple has one because it's end game impact is insane when played right.

How the hell do you play this tank wrong? I understand that pubbies be pubbies but it seems like the easiest tank to play.

57 minutes ago, hazzgar said:

How the hell do you play this tank wrong? I understand that pubbies be pubbies but it seems like the easiest tank to play.

By taking snapshots (don't.) and expecting your magical IS-3 agility to save you. IMO the normal IS-3 is much, much easier to play since the whole mid range game becomes easymode with the sheer amount of comfort you get from the BL-9, while being slightly better at flexing. That said I get about 450 damage more on average in the 3A, so that clip is monstrous. The 3A is easymode compared to other autoloaders, but the normal IS-3 is easier still and not even that worse at carrying. 

6 minutes ago, hazzgar said:

Forgot pubbies and the fact they have 1 brain cell

IMO it's hyperbolic to say that it's an IS-3 with an autoloader without drawbacks. 
It's a worse IS-3 with an autoloader, and it is the autoloader that it has no drawbacks for.

It's like giving the T-10 the 257's gun but with an autoreloader - sure the autoloader would make it stronger - all things considered, but there are quite a few situations when just having a better single shot gun would actually do the job better.
I'd rather fight a red player in a 3A than in a Defender, and it's only past the blue mark when I'd fear an IS-3A more than a Defender. 

5 minutes ago, lavawing said:

IMO it's hyperbolic to say that it's an IS-3 with an autoloader without drawbacks. 
It's a worse IS-3 with an autoloader, and it is the autoloader that it has no drawbacks for.

It's like giving the T-10 the 257's gun but with an autoreloader - sure the autoloader would make it stronger - all things considered, but there are quite a few situations when just having a better single shot gun would actually do the job better.
I'd rather fight a red player in a 3A than in a Defender, and it's only past the blue mark when I'd fear an IS-3A more than a Defender. 

I'd rather fight a red in a defender any day. Especially the later into the game it goes. Plus because reds suck at leading shots the good shell velocity helps reds a lot. Not caring about missiong shots too. 

The gun is derpy so you have to aim but you can afford to aim. I get it's not exactly a better is3 as the playstyle is slightly different but it's the strongest armored non TD autoloader in the game. That should give people some perspective. 

IS-3A is simply broken. Totally OP against literally every lower tier but too weak against higher and well armored tanks when you need agility/gun handling/high pen but still able to punish every paper IX or X before death. And that's the keyword: punishing. You are not going to get outplayed by IS-3A. 

On 12/14/2018 at 4:31 PM, Ham_ said:

Chrysler K syndrome? Broke tank that sucks to play?

I like the Chrysler K, aside the pen it's very comfy and super strong IMO, especially if you are used to rear turreted stuff. 

Gun handling is good, DPM is good, alpha is decent, premium round is APCR and 260 (higher than the T32 because reasons), the turret will bounce tier 10 rounds, it's agile and goes everywhere like 35kph. It can also sidescrape like a boss and bully same tier or lower tanks with it's like 210-215 effective lower plate you can angle and wiggle with the good traverse. 

If I was to chose one OP tank out of the K and IS3A I'd go the Chrysler, sure it can't burst fire but I reckon it could bully a 3A something silly with it's armour, mobility and gun handling. 

On 12/18/2018 at 5:34 AM, Ham_ said:

Unfortunately even 47%ers can identify that they can kill you when you have 1000 hp. 

Sure they can't use it to its full potential but that can be said for most tanks. It just so happens the potential for this is to mars while pubbies only get to the moon.