Star_Dust

Hidden tech tree jewels?

49 posts in this topic

I was wondering, right now, as of 1.3 Patch, which tanks can be considered hidden jewels? that is, tanks that people don't normally get because there's optional branches or people skip as fast as they can because they are low tier tanks that don't have their potential exploited by newcomers?

So far, the tanks I can think, that can find this type of category, would be tanks that people often overlook or rush through them, like the VK.30.01P being a very versatile tank or perhaps the JagdPz IV with it's 3K DPM

My best choice off the top of my head is the 13 75. Its rediculously good. Its a fast little doot doot tank, with a 4 shot, 15 second clip time, with good gun handling and decent pen and alpha for its tier. I ground through it and absolutely loved it. 

Does WoT actually have many "hidden gems" anymore? The slow push of the three tank styles into their own areas of the map make me feel like you're either the hammer or the nail, and rarely in between, making playing anything out of the meta a chore at best. I don't want to turn this into another corridor meta complaint thread, but I'm honestly curious if the current state of things really allows for much in the way of hidden gems. I can see some lights being notable just because they are the only class that is different enough to ignore WG's agenda, but that's about all.

The M6 is kinda cool I guess?

2 hours ago, Rexxie said:

The M6 is kinda cool I guess?

Gun rocks but lack of armor is a huge disadventage. 

For me T25 Skoda is a hidden gem. This is tier VI Skoda T50 but it will never face Bobject v4 or Retard Type 5.

T25/2 maybe? Gun handling can be a bit derpy and it's not the most mobile med, but you get a decent 90mm gun that you can 22 your problems away.

Yes, I said the T25/2 is a med, because that's how it's best used. T20 is the tier 7 TD.

SU-100M1 because its stupidly overpowered, with the only balancing factor being mm.

15 hours ago, Assassin7 said:

My best choice off the top of my head is the 13 75. Its rediculously good. Its a fast little doot doot tank, with a 4 shot, 15 second clip time, with good gun handling and decent pen and alpha for its tier. I ground through it and absolutely loved it. 

To me it's so much worse than amx12t and bc12t because it runs out of ammo every time you do a moderate carry.

As for hidden gems for me:

- KV13 - On paper it should be powercreeped to shit but better gun handling than the t-43 plus armor that trolls the shit out of people because they forgot this tank exists and they aim for the hull. 

- Ferdidand - Sure your armor is unreliable but you get 1500 hp, 490 boom stick, with good pen, good handling and good depression. People have to aim not to bounce so can really do well when top tier and you are still a good sniper when bottom.

- BC-12 - Camo + Mobility + an autoloader that hits shit more than elc even 90

- Chi-ri - 390 alpha on a med. Yeah you are big and have no armor but you have enough mobility and you are underestimated enough to make a difference

-Strv 74 - gun depression, fast shells plus superb gun handling no one at t6 can touch? Hell yeah. It's comfort you only see in high tiers

- Skoda t25 - the gun works. I like short burst autoloaders

- ELC AMX BIS - yeah it's not fun but it got downtiered to t5mm. With a 240 alpha, elc even 90 camo in a tier where everyone is blind as shit. With a good crew you still hit 440/445m vr so this tank roflstomps the shit out of tier5. 

I fucking hate the BC12t. Its terrible. Id rather play the 13 75 at tier 8. Its gun handling is meh, its clip potential is sub par for tier 8. And you cant even hit max VR with optics.

And you have to ground out SIX HUNDRED THOUSAND XP on the damn thing

A-43. Most people forget about this tank but it's really incredible. gets a fast-firing 57mm with pretty absurd DPM for a tier 6, zero aimtime and good accuracy, and is very mobile. no armor though.

I think most of the 'gems' are going to be low tier tanks (probably up to tier 7 at max) because a lot of people don't stick around at the tier to keep playing and just keep on moving up. I think 'hidden' is going to be pretty subjective, and in most cases, the tech trees are pretty figured out - and I do agree with @Rexxie that the differences between tanks are getting smaller. Again though, at lower tiers there are tanks with more unique combinations still so that helps with that.

I'll second the VK 30.01P as a hidden gem because it's my first ever three-mark, and I love it. It has an excellent combination of alpha, mobility, usable armour (the turret will bounce quite a bit) and penetration for the tier. It's only real weakness is poor gun handling. For me, the best of the tier 6 mediums (which is a very strong collection of tanks).

IS-2 chinese 250 heat + 390 alpha plus decent armour that becomes amazing to bully lower tiers

T25AT is OP: fantastic armour as the mantlet is very strong and covers a third of the tank, plus ten degrees of gun depression, plus fantastic mobility plus 248 apcr AND 320 alpha at TIER 7!!!

SP1C: good td/lt with very good camo. Balanced by bad mobility and dpm. You could slap binos on it to hilarious resoults but I have not tried it.

Jadgtiger: if you know how to use it is amazing. Dpm HP armour (if hulldown or on a slope) just a tad slow.

2 hours ago, Tman450 said:

A-43. Most people forget about this tank but it's really incredible. gets a fast-firing 57mm with pretty absurd DPM for a tier 6, zero aimtime and good accuracy, and is very mobile. no armor though.

Terrible gun depression though, plus it's not a T-34-85.

36 minutes ago, Haswell said:

Terrible gun depression though, plus it's not a T-34-85.

The gun depression is a non-issue with how you should be playing it.

Very different playstyle than a 34-85, and one on one it will eat a 34-85 alive. That's a good vehicle too though. It's just the A43 is far more mobile with way better DPM.

I don't know if it's as good as it once was, but for years the KV-13 was a hidden gem. 

15 hours ago, Assassin7 said:

I fucking hate the BC12t. Its terrible. Id rather play the 13 75 at tier 8. Its gun handling is meh, its clip potential is sub par for tier 8. And you cant even hit max VR with optics.

And you have to ground out SIX HUNDRED THOUSAND XP on the damn thing

You can't hit max vr with optics on bc12t? My BC has 480m VR. As for gun handling it has the same handling as the HWK12. And yeah the clip isn't huge but it's still a clip.  Plus 13 75 is even more blind and less mobile because max speed is so fucking slow

14 hours ago, nabucodonsor said:

IS-2 chinese 250 heat + 390 alpha plus decent armour that becomes amazing to bully lower tiers

T25AT is OP: fantastic armour as the mantlet is very strong and covers a third of the tank, plus ten degrees of gun depression, plus fantastic mobility plus 248 apcr AND 320 alpha at TIER 7!!!

SP1C: good td/lt with very good camo. Balanced by bad mobility and dpm. You could slap binos on it to hilarious resoults but I have not tried it.

Jadgtiger: if you know how to use it is amazing. Dpm HP armour (if hulldown or on a slope) just a tad slow.

IS-2 with that gun handling? WHAT?

IS2 is definitely a good tank. But if I had to choose a T7 HT I would go for the T29. This tank is just so much better than all the other heavy tanks on that tier. 

Almost forgot my little gem at T5. Get the Leopard scout and put the autocannon on it. Have fun dealing 300dmg clips at T5 :D

15 minutes ago, hall0 said:

IS2 is definitely a good tank. But if I had to choose a T7 HT I would go for the T29. This tank is just so much better than all the other heavy tanks on that tier. 

Almost forgot my little gem at T5. Get the Leopard scout and put the autocannon on it. Have fun dealing 300dmg clips at T5 :D

OP asked for hidden gems. Everybody know that the t29 is OP.

IMO t25 AT is on par if not better than the t29

The Japanese tier 4 Ke-Ho. I haven't played it since the changes to tier 4 MM but it was a nice tank and may still be. Reasonable mobility, good base pen, 131 gold pen.  

On 12/30/2018 at 11:45 AM, hazzgar said:

-Strv 74 - gun depression, fast shells plus superb gun handling no one at t6 can touch? Hell yeah. It's comfort you only see in high tiers

Just finished the Strv 74 grind. Loved the gun and the depression, but MM beat me to death on this one (top tier 2 of 52). Really wanted this one to be a keeper...  :'(

I just played through the tier 4 Italian tank. I don’t even remember what it’s called. Anyway, it has 70 mm of penetration with 175 alpha on the HE rounds. That’s hilariously overpowered at tier 4. It had to have been a mistake. Tier 8 mediums wish they had that kind of DPM. 

Chinese WZ-111G FT

basically a better 704 IMO in every way

decent mobility and aim-time with 290/395 pen with around 240-250 frontal armor. 

And while it may not be so much of a "hidden" jewel the AMX M4 mle. 51 is another worth mentioning.

(only downside being that both lines suffer from having shit grinds and underwhelming tier 10's)