_Steel_Casket_

Get Ready for the BIG Fist....Lube Up!

55 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, tajj7 said:

Might need a tad better handling and bit better mobility but I wouldn't say the armour is worse than the 257.

Defender lower plate is actually slightly better than the 257s, against 225 AP rounds (so decent tier 8 heavy pen) its about 210 - 225 effective, whereas the 257s lower plate is more like 195 - 200 effective, plus the 257s lower plate is higher and bigger IMO, so easier to hit.

Upper plate wise the Defender wins here easily, at worst it's 320 effective front on, ranging up to basically over 350 effective, whereas the 257 is about 245 to 270 effective, this means the Defender can angle the pike (and thus it's lower plate) to hit like 230-240 on both upper and lower plate, so can bully lower tiers and most non-premium spamming tier 8s with ease sitting in the open.

The 257 if it angles the pike, it becomes like 200 effective.

Then there are the turrets, 257 edges the turret fronts because you can go through the Defender mantlet with over 250 pen, but the rest is all pretty much the same being about 270 effective to like autobounce for a lot like most Russian heavy turrets.

Both have two 150mm cupolas, Defenders are a tad taller, but what lets the 257 down is the 30mm roof overmatch area which is massive (like twice the size of the IS3 one if not more) and can be hit from the front if the tank is on the flat.

The only real thing the 257 has going for it is the auto-bounce lower side armour, but then Defender can sidescrape against 150mm guns and bounce, 257 can't do that.

Overall IMO Defenders armour is better and the 257 is hardly poor armoured for its tier, it bounces a lot for a tier 9 heavy.

Frontally 257 is worse armorwise than Defender but that only allows defender to rush tier7s (assuming it's a t9 now) but 257 has it's idiotic unpenetrable side armor. You can basically park 90 deg to 80% of the lights you meet and they will bounce almost all their shots. 

On 1/11/2019 at 9:06 PM, hazzgar said:

Frontally 257 is worse armorwise than Defender but that only allows defender to rush tier7s (assuming it's a t9 now) but 257 has it's idiotic unpenetrable side armor. You can basically park 90 deg to 80% of the lights you meet and they will bounce almost all their shots. 

Yeah frontally I have no problems penning a 257 but the side armor is stupid, I've literally seen a guy getting badly damaged from the front so he turned his side on 3 heavies in order to survive. And he actually bounced them all until I killed him by shooting the tiny little strip of armor above the stupid part and below the turret. 

11 hours ago, kariverson said:

Yeah frontally I have no problems penning a 257 but the side armor is stupid, I've literally seen a guy getting badly damaged from the front so he turned his side on 3 heavies in order to survive. And he actually bounced them all until I killed him by shooting the tiny little strip of armor above the stupid part and below the turret. 

Yeah that strip that's still 190-200 at 90deg angle if you are a shorter tank. 

On 1/11/2019 at 7:06 PM, hazzgar said:

Frontally 257 is worse armorwise than Defender but that only allows defender to rush tier7s (assuming it's a t9 now) 

And tier 8s, at angle the Defender can still pretty much be 240+ effective everywhere, due to the upper plate being so good that even over angling the pike you still have amazing armour and massively increase the lower plate effectiveness. 

But yeh 257 armour is complete BS especially for lower tiers. What is funny though is that I find German tanks bully the crap out of them because they are so tall, they shoot down on the roof, on the upper plate and on the top section of the side armour negating all the angles. 

55 minutes ago, tajj7 said:

And tier 8s, at angle the Defender can still pretty much be 240+ effective everywhere, due to the upper plate being so good that even over angling the pike you still have amazing armour and massively increase the lower plate effectiveness. 

But yeh 257 armour is complete BS especially for lower tiers. What is funny though is that I find German tanks bully the crap out of them because they are so tall, they shoot down on the roof, on the upper plate and on the top section of the side armour negating all the angles. 

Short range? Yeah. I remember some is7 facehugged my E100 and didn't move. Just stood there. The moron didn't even realize I could overmatch all the top plates on his tank.