borange01

Winrate Expecations

11 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have a recent WN8 of, at the time of posting this, just under 3200. That is super unicum. My recent WR on the other hand, well... that's just over 59% percent, which is dark blue. My recent WR is nearing 60%, which would be unicum, but that got me thinking, am I doing something wrong?

I play almost exclusively solo, to begin with, and also almost only Tier 10, but I feel like that doesn't justify the gap in my WN8 and WR. For my WR to be the same color as my WN8 it would have to be 65%, and I simply cannot imagine having a WR like that unless I'm rolling through pubs in a 3 man platoon or something.

Take my Obj. 277 for example. I have just over 200 games, so not a huge sample size, but decent. My WN8 in it is 3100, but my WR is a pitiful 55%. Even my E100, with 3 MoE, 1,000 games, and almost 3,500 WN8 isn't even 61%. 

This is a problem for my overall stats, too. My WN8 is just over 2k, dark blue, but my WR is GREEN!

What do you guys think? I don't consider myself a stat padder and I didn't think I played like one, but maybe I do? What is a reasonable solo WR to have at 3200 WN8, and playing what tanks?

Thanks in advance.

I always found that the deciding factor in WN8/WR is whether you typically carry early or carry late. This is related to camping, but not always the result of it. Early carries (whether that just be enough early damage or more subtle moves like trading HP for map control, push inertia, etc.) tend to be much less rewarding for WN8 and can result in a pretty serious rift in the two ratings.

My only advice here is to experiment with the pace at which you play the game and adjust to what works best for you. Realistically you want to be carrying as early as possible, but some players are just atypically good at carrying later. If your current style is what you think is best, just pay no mind to your WN8. I wish I could do more than just echo the usual reply to this, but WN8 is just a number.

Colors are based on averages (as well as pages of debate) across the servers. While these averages work well for individual players because platoon play doesn't impact personal WN8 that much, it greatly tends to inflate the upper percentages of WR. Most of those of us who last changed the colors agreed that while WR colors don't well reflect non-platoon WR, platoon inflated WR is so prevalent across upper level WN8 players, that in order to keep too high a percentage from having purple WR, the average percentages were used for the top 0.1% without adjustment.

This isn't to say purple WR isn't consistently possible solo, just that it is harder on a percentage basis than WN8.

One thing I know top w/r players do is being insanely active early game, constantly shooting and just always being a position that works, and they do so much that they can die mid game but still win because they created such a massive hp gap between the two teams.. Easier said then done though, I usually try get damage and kills early on a flank but then 5 brick heavies go hull down and I just stand there wondering how the fuck they do it instead.

17 hours ago, Rexxie said:

I always found that the deciding factor in WN8/WR is whether you typically carry early or carry late. This is related to camping, but not always the result of it. Early carries (whether that just be enough early damage or more subtle moves like trading HP for map control, push inertia, etc.) tend to be much less rewarding for WN8 and can result in a pretty serious rift in the two ratings.

My only advice here is to experiment with the pace at which you play the game and adjust to what works best for you. Realistically you want to be carrying as early as possible, but some players are just atypically good at carrying later. If your current style is what you think is best, just pay no mind to your WN8. I wish I could do more than just echo the usual reply to this, but WN8 is just a number.

So you're suggesting that I may win more games by playing more aggressively in the beginning even if at the expense of WN8? So it's better to try to have an early impact instead of "save myself" for the end?

1 hour ago, Android25 said:

Colors are based on averages (as well as pages of debate) across the servers. While these averages work well for individual players because platoon play doesn't impact personal WN8 that much, it greatly tends to inflate the upper percentages of WR. Most of those of us who last changed the colors agreed that while WR colors don't well reflect non-platoon WR, platoon inflated WR is so prevalent across upper level WN8 players, that in order to keep too high a percentage from having purple WR, the average percentages were used for the top 0.1% without adjustment.

This isn't to say purple WR isn't consistently possible solo, just that it is harder on a percentage basis than WN8.

So, for example, Super Uni WN8 is easier to obtain solo than Super Uni WR, even though they both technically represent the top .01%?

1 hour ago, borange01 said:

So you're suggesting that I may win more games by playing more aggressively in the beginning even if at the expense of WN8? So it's better to try to have an early impact instead of "save myself" for the end?

Very probable since my WR-WN8 ratio in t10s is opposite to yours except for shit tanks (I have to play those since I roam accounts for shitters). Also presence is SUPER important in wining games because if often saves your teammates lives. So if you are not present enough early game you hurt your win rate even if you stay alive longer. Currently I am at 58-63% in my t10s that don't suck (hello t62a) yet my Wn8 is usually in the 2600-2700. I tend to die in t10 games relatively often but I try to make an impact fast in tanks that can do that. You have WR to WN8 stats of my t10 lights. So I'm wondering if maybe you have similar presence to them.

3 hours ago, borange01 said:

So you're suggesting that I may win more games by playing more aggressively in the beginning even if at the expense of WN8

I think what @Rexxie means is that: the contriburion of "early carry" is not well-reflected by WN8.

Why is that? My personal theory is that "early carries" rally your baddie teammates. Following your lead, they are unwillingly put into situations that purples are so deliberately trying to create. As a result, when your 14 teammates maximize their damage dealing potential, they kill the enemy faster than you alone can farm. Yes, your team wins more often. Is that what you really want?

Whereas in late game Rambo moments, every drip of damage usually comes from the unicum himself. Help from teammates no longer siphons away damage --  they become essential to survival and may lead to even moar damage.

Again, my personal thoughts, hope this helps.

6 hours ago, borange01 said:

So, for example, Super Uni WN8 is easier to obtain solo than Super Uni WR, even though they both technically represent the top .01%?

In a sense, yes.

The assumption would be that if you're playing at super uni level, say very close to the threshold, you shouldn't have a super uni win rate unless you are platooned with other players of similar skill, which tends to be the case on average (hence the inflated WR numbers).

Like I mentioned, there are players capable of solo play that easily reaches beyond super unicum win rate. But the meta at such high levels can vary so widely when it comes to solo play.

For example, it's very likely that there are at least some players who manage super unicum stats and fail to consistently win games (sub 60%, obviously there are no cases of super uni play with dramaticly low WR) because the play style getting them there is not as helpful to the team as other playstyles ranked at the same WN8 (this is exactly the reason WN8 takes WR into account up to 10% of your sum WN8). However as soon as two players of similar WN8 level play together, their varying playstyles tend to balance and lead to more victories than either of them solo. However, at the same time, there are some but fewer still super uni playstyles or at least attitudes (that can be a big one) that lead to destructive platoon play, where the sum of the two players is worse than either player individually. It's actually a super complicated and interesting science that used to lead to 20 plus page boards over in the math section.

So to sum it up, you shouldn't be that concerned with the difference between colors of WN8 and WR when it comes to solo play, but there certainly are playstyle changes that could bring the two closer. I, however, am much better at providing you with the theory and reason as to why there are differences, rather than the knowledge of playstyles to change those differences, and so I'll leave it at that for the more purplish people to guide you :)

It's easy to farm WN8. it's much harder to consistently carry games. they sometimes go hand-in-hand, but game winning plays are more important than damage maximization if you want to win.

On 1/19/2019 at 7:03 AM, Tman450 said:

It's easy to farm WN8. it's much harder to consistently carry games. they sometimes go hand-in-hand, but game winning plays are more important than damage maximization if you want to win.

+1 to this. You can farm wn8 all day in lower tiers on even in an e50 /m46  etc., but carrying a game solo in tier 10 is a whole new experience.