Kymrel

Frontline: Best tanks/tactics for farming General

With Frontline back up I'll be playing that almost exclusively, since the last time it was around I had a lot of fun with the large, open map, flanking and respawning. Most of the weeks it will be up I'll have little problem playing enough to make the ranking trivial, but that won't always be the case. And so I wonder, for those times when I want to get there quickly, what tanks I should prioritize and what tactics give the most xp, and therefore the highest rank.

So, what tanks to pick?

• TDs? From what I can recall last time around, sniping in Scorp G and the like netted you huge damage numbers, but not really that much in the way of xp, relative to the damage at least. The Chinese WZ is good in this mode since it can bounce and there is limited gold, but I like turrets.
  • Light tanks? They seem to get a lot of XP, but have little staying power and low penetration. I have the most fun playing them though, and the 432 seems like it's made to dominate this game mode.
  • Mediums? As I recall, I played a lot of Progetto last time and got ranks quite easily playing that mostly, usually at fairly close range if possible, so meds might be the best bet? 
  • Heavies? I can see the IS-3A being quite good at racking up damage fast around caps, but sloooow to chase damage when you need to relocate. The gun is also a bit derpy at long ranges, although the shell velocity sort of makes up for it some of the time. VKs and Defenders to force a cap or brawl in a cap zone perhaps? But like the IS-3A they seem rather slow and derpy if the enemy doesn't come to you.

Spotting helps with the ranks, but I'm not sure how much. Might be in the same ratio to damage as in the normal games but I have no real idea. So lights and meds will have an edge, probably.

Bonus question, what combat reserves do you use? I tend to go with the Recon Flight (for extra spotting, lighting TDs and the like), Arty (stop kemping) and then usually Engineering as the third on light tanks and on breakthrough heavies to cap/decap more efficiently since that seems to increase ranks quite a lot. Airstrike seems weak to me, and Smoke Screen is a very double-edge sword. I do wonder how Inspire is doing for getting assistance. Probably better in platoons, but in the right circumstances I can see that racking up a bit of assistance. But I'd be very interested to hear what reserves you choose, and why.

Oh, and before you tell me to play arty to rank up quickly, don't. I do play arty for missions in the regular game but find it incredibly boring and won't be playing any in this game mode. Even if playing the GW Tiger is supposedly a pretty easy way to get General most of the time.

LT432, Progetto, IS3A, Defender and Skorp G feature heavily on SEA and perform quite well. 

Get good vision. The highest exp players I've seen always had a shitton of assisted damage while their own damage doesn't exceed others' that much. (That said maybe that's because SEA server is fucking campy/passive.) I'm going back to mount optics/binos on everything.

Hm. Skill just released a video discussing what tanks to use in Frontline. Seems to me this is just what premiums are good and what premiums aren't, but at least it's something.

Skorp G/S1/SU-130PM/WZTD , Prog 46, lorr 40T, T-44-100, LT-432, Blackdog, Lynx 6x6

Defender/IS-3A (mainly use in the city, or to push a well defended point, or to yolo reset a cap) 

A useful cheese tactic for the attacking team is to get a platoon of LT's or Mediums (sometimes heavy's depending of which point ur at) with level 5 engineering and all yolo on cap, often times the enemy cannot kill anyone of you fast enough before you cap it out 

in terms of reaching general the quickest way in order:

Killing tanks on cap/Resetting (Defending team)

Capping (attacking team: note that even if you jump on cap at the last second it will still award you with alot of xp towards the in-game ranks)

Kills

Damage

Spotting/Assisting 

After playing a few games I have noticed that there is a lot more armor going on this time around. A looot of IS-3s (and As), Löwes, and of course Defenders. I may need to up my gold ammo loadout from "barely any" to "a little just in case".

I kept my usual gold layout in tanks from randoms (so about 25% gold ammo) and rarely have to use it last time, but I imagine that's enough even with increased heavy spam.

Last time around I found any tank with mobility, especially on defence (otherwise you die if the sector falls) is pretty much mandatory. The regular T-44 is a good option if you don't have the premium version. The Pantera probably does okay instead of the Progetto if you don't have that too. The regular IS3 does well, and probably a bit better than the "A" version due to better mobility (and last time I played it with a sub-100% crew and did fine). The Patriot is okay, the Skorp G does very well. Last time I pretty much just used the T-44, Skorp G and IS3. This time I'll be throwing in the Progetto and possibly the 53TP.

Also, I found last time around that the Inspire reserve is pretty good for racking up assist if you time it well and hit a lot of allies with a lot of targets, as all the damage that inspired tanks do is counted towards your assist tally, which can be good for ranking up.

Guys, I'm doing well in Batchat 12t on AP. Don't tell me you need full APCR to kill heavies. There is so much place and so many players so getting flanks is pretty easy.

I'm really pissed they've decided not to award bonds for medals. It wasn't excessively lucrative and it needed effort. It was a nice incentive not to slack. Now that bonds aren't on the line it just feels like a mindless grind. 

Anyways. getting Engineering V and spamming caps is the easiest way to make general in my experience. I favor AX/Progetto/432 above all else. 0 premium ammo/consumables except for AFE. 

Lynx has been obscenely fun to play on a couple of occasions.

I also see a lot of Emils driving arround on NA. do you think its because of the upcomming premiu or does it have some viability? i can see it has immense ridgeline potential but werent the swedisch heavies pretty derpy? cant tell because i never touched the line.

My current rooster is 432, Lynx, Patriot and S1 cheesewedge

1 hour ago, Action said:

I also see a lot of Emils driving arround on NA. do you think its because of the upcomming premiu or does it have some viability? i can see it has immense ridgeline potential but werent the swedisch heavies pretty derpy? cant tell because i never touched the line.

My current rooster is 432, Lynx, Patriot and S1 cheesewedge

They are grinding it. I do the same with bat 12t.

I actually use a lot less gold than I do in randoms. Though that's probably because I've mainly been playing tds. I think speed is a major factor which is why I haven't played many heavies in it yet. The STRV S1 and WZ 120 tds are fast enough to keep up with a push and have guns with enough pen to go through everything at tier 8. The WZ in particular has been really good when attacking with that dpm. Can chew through a emplacement by itself in no time.

I can't believe I've actually been having fun in WoT again with this mode.

Here is what I noticed were the best performing tanks (SEAmeta so ymmv)

LIGHTS:

• 432 is the best of the bunch, but still has issues against 240 alpha meds,
  • then the occasional EVEN for bushing and
  • wheeled thing, the Lynx irrc for active scouting.

MEDS:

• Progetto/P44 for damage whoring, Lorraine for if you don't have those tanks :cri:,
  • T-44-100 is godmode with quasi light mobility, best in class bloom and enough armour to hold positions.
  • the only other medium which struck me as notable was the Cent RAAC, which is used more like a heavy for locking down the cap zone on point C.

HEAVIES:

• IS-M or Defender with engineering for bumrushing caps. Chrysler works as well depending on spawn, but large profile means you get easily focused
  • 50TP/Somua SM/3A for shitting out damage at a breakthrough or standstill,
  • T26E5 and Caern AX for general stuff, though both generally compare unfavourably to the 53TP.
  • Nameless for taking dumps on meds.

TDS:

• SU-130PM then Skorp for being a TD. I prefer the SU since it's smaller and has better camo, but some may take the Skorp over it due to speed + accuracy.
  • 120GFT then JPII: not as good as farming/sniping compared to the above two, but you can actually hold positions and DPM people down.
  • ISU-152: sits on a ridge and delets u team

When defending, at the mid-late game when people are focusing on objectives, you can actually go rambo behind enemy lines with anything that has enough speed and camo and just evaporate whole sections of their team. 

Can someone explain to me the mechanic that has some kind of artillery bombardment shooting you (a defender) when a 'map sector' is captured? It seems to be quite devastating (to me) but I've also noticed (while attacking) that defenders can (later on?) infiltrate and survive inside a map sector that was captured by the attackers (seemingly without getting smashed by NPC skycancer)

4 hours ago, Action said:

I also see a lot of Emils driving arround on NA...

3 hours ago, MacusFlash said:

They are grinding it

Also probably the best map in the game for the Emil? Endless hull down positions and heaps of tanks crossing in the open as they move from one place to another so easy clip farms.

Strangely enough ELC Even is really good in this. The maps are open and the tank easily slips through enemy lines to find some bush behind them and shoot their bums. 5 games = 2 generals, 3 majors. The speed + camo + autoloader is also good for 3 quick kills of low hp hull down heavies. 

17 hours ago, sundanceHelix said:

Can someone explain to me the mechanic that has some kind of artillery bombardment shooting you (a defender) when a 'map sector' is captured? It seems to be quite devastating (to me) but I've also noticed (while attacking) that defenders can (later on?) infiltrate and survive inside a map sector that was captured by the attackers (seemingly without getting smashed by NPC skycancer)

Defenders get rekt about 50sec after losing a sector. After that they may return to lost sector but they can't retake it. 

Attackers can't drive into sector 2 before capturing sector 1. If you go so far get ready to get rekt by npc arty. 

Defender spam is more a result of loot boxes rather than viability 

T-54 Mod has always been a winner for me. Has everything you need: mobility, reasonable firepower, good vision game ability due to camo, armor of a heavy, and magical soviet wedge technology. Its armor is right about 220 effective vs. AP which means a lot of bouncability in this mode where gold isn't being slung everywhere.

Lowe wrecks too, but it takes some time to get where you're needed which is a real problem when the attacking team starts flipping all over the map and masses in a lane far away from you. This is a real problem on defense some games, the enemy team just respawns elsewhere and you're stuck in a slow tank with nothing to fight.

I just got the Cent 5/1 and have only played a little with it but I feel it's going to be on par with the 54 Mod for having everything you need to stay rolling and shooting. Being invincible hull down with 226 AP and good accuracy is a strong combo on these open maps.

I'm finding the Defender to be less effective than I would have thought, as it's only effective right around the cap. The limit on long range fire keeps it from being flexible enough. I've had some really crap luck in it too though, kind of stuff where you get ammo racked twice and focused by an arty.

I should also note the Tiger II did surprisingly well last time, I ground through it painlessly with Frontline. It has armor relevant against same tiers and a good gun for long range, so it has the flexibility to never be at a disadvantage.

EDIT: lol. Just got general playing arty on defense. First half used a clicker with only 75% crew + food. About 100 XP short of general of the army.

2 hours ago, Jesse_the_Scout said:

T-54 Mod has always been a winner for me. Has everything you need: mobility, reasonable firepower, good vision game ability due to camo, armor of a heavy, and magical soviet wedge technology. Its armor is right about 220 effective vs. AP which means a lot of bouncability in this mode where gold isn't being slung everywhere.

Lowe wrecks too, but it takes some time to get where you're needed which is a real problem when the attacking team starts flipping all over the map and masses in a lane far away from you. This is a real problem on defense some games, the enemy team just respawns elsewhere and you're stuck in a slow tank with nothing to fight.

I just got the Cent 5/1 and have only played a little with it but I feel it's going to be on par with the 54 Mod for having everything you need to stay rolling and shooting. Being invincible hull down with 226 AP and good accuracy is a strong combo on these open maps.

I'm finding the Defender to be less effective than I would have thought, as it's only effective right around the cap. The limit on long range fire keeps it from being flexible enough. I've had some really crap luck in it too though, kind of stuff where you get ammo racked twice and focused by an arty.

I should also note the Tiger II did surprisingly well last time, I ground through it painlessly with Frontline. It has armor relevant against same tiers and a good gun for long range, so it has the flexibility to never be at a disadvantage.

EDIT: lol. Just got general playing arty on defense. First half used a clicker with only 75% crew + food. About 100 XP short of general of the army.

I had great success in my 44-100 while tooned up with my buddy in his Mod 1. The armour of the Mod 1 and the reliability of the -44-100's gun let us 2 v 3 pretty much all mediums we met except for Centurions and 4202s. However, he did complain about not being fast enough to disengage from disadvantageous fights against things like Defenders. 

The Aussie Cent is great for point defence work, but I find that the gun just can't put out damage quickly or reliably enough, and the tank is a bit too large and slow to flex properly. I'm not sure if this comes with not running food, but I'd take the T-44-100 over it in every engagement which isn't point C or E.

About the Lowe: tbh I don't think Frontline is really a good mode for heavies. The engagement ranges are too long, the map is overall too large, there are too many angles from which you can get cross-fired. Heavies that rely in particular on armour that only works from one direction, e.g. Chrysler, Liberte and even the Nameless, are particularly fucked. Even the IS-3A isn't as hot as it is in randoms since it just isn't cut out for frontline fighting except for guarding objectives in the last few minutes of the game.

In my experience, heavies that work well here need: (1) a 35 km/h or above top speed, and can keep it, (2) a good snappy gun, (3) armour that works from multiple angles. This pretty much narrows it down to the Somua, the 50/53TP, and the IS-3. Even then, I'd rather take a good medium over most of them.

So, with the cap rush meta, what tank do you start out in... and then what role do you try to do once you've found yourself on either Attack or Defense?

I've been finding I lose more often on Defense, anyone else have similar experiences?

4 hours ago, SoliDeoGloria said:

The 4202 is ok. She does really good on certain parts of the maps and poor on others. Works better on defense, IMO.

Way better is Centurion. FV4202 has turret that bounces almost nothing. 

I have mainly used the Progetto, Lynx 6x6, M41D and 432.

Defender around the cap if I need to hold a spot or maybe push a cap, or push out a camping/flanking ridge (like the east side of A or east side of C, as these ridges are quite important in holding or capping those flags). 

I have also completely dominated in the Defender just sitting defending on C, there is a little rock you can poke from behind, you are tucked in from flanking fire and usually the people on the platform above C struggle to pen you and you can just farm defence points. 

Tried the IS-3A but its too slow and too derpy, and it doesn't have the defenders bully ability. For maybe clearing a cap in a yolo rush it would work but you'd need it at the right time. 

Generally capping/defending nets a lot of points to progress ranks, plus spotting. I use the recon plane as much as possible and when its maxed out you can spot a large area for a long time, its particularly good when you have just capped or lost a sector as usually a lot of tanks are in the same place. 

Cent 5/1 has also proved useful, its like a more mobile, more accurate Patriot, it can hold ridges and put accurate 226 AP down long range. 

I also got in a hilarious position using the Lynx 6x6 in the forest to the left of D and just farmed people who were trying to defend unspotted, using my recon plane to spot and inspire to up my DPM/accuracy.  The wheeled vehicle is good for breakthrough flanks and timed right you can drag people away from the caps. 

I have also found that if you get a good flanking spot where you are often not spotted, people seem to leave you there for ages unchallenged. 

I also prefer attacking over defending, most of my generals have come from attacks, if you have a good defence, more often than not the average attacker just gives up and snipes/camps, so games end earlier and less people are attacking so less chance to do damage, defend caps etc. Whereas on attack you have the cap points to earn XP on and you can always be pushing the tempo. 

Does rental T44 earn credits/exp like regular premium? If I remember from last year, it had some limitations...