Kymrel

Frontline: Best tanks/tactics for farming General

8 hours ago, MacusFlash said:

Way better is Centurion. FV4202 has turret that bounces almost nothing. 

Centurion is probably better, but I like trolling all the people who don't seem to understand it's almost all autobounce on a hill.

I had much fun and success with the chimera actually. Managed 11k dmg without dying once, easy general. But I mostly play progetto and wz-111-120 (is that how the TD prem is called?) I need to grind some credits . 

17 hours ago, lavawing said:

In my experience, heavies that work well here need: (1) a 35 km/h or above top speed, and can keep it, (2) a good snappy gun, (3) armour that works from multiple angles. This pretty much narrows it down to the Somua, the 50/53TP, and the IS-3. Even then, I'd rather take a good medium over most of them.

Agree on this very much. As I got one in the loot boxes I thought I'd try out in the IS3A, but in this mode the worse mobility compared to the regular IS3 is very, very noticeable because of a lot of the soft terrain (particularly in the first rank of zones) as it struggles to get up to speed or redeploy around the map. The regular IS3 is much better for this mode. Mobility in this mode is king, I'm pretty much only playing the T-44, the Progetto and the Skorp G at the moment.

15 hours ago, tajj7 said:

I have also completely dominated in the Defender just sitting defending on C, there is a little rock you can poke from behind, you are tucked in from flanking fire and usually the people on the platform above C struggle to pen you and you can just farm defence points. 

On the picture below, if the circle around C is a clock, is the rock you're referring to the outcropping at about 10 o' clock? 

f4vqtrh3tko.jpg?zoom=1.25&resize=620,617

I usually go to the 10 o'clock spot, but the other day I had real trouble attacking C because of a 53tp at the 3 o'clock mound - there's a knobbly bit that they can be totally hulldown behind and we didn't have anything on the hill to the right shooting him

Had quite an interesting game yesterday on Defense.

Sequence of events:

1. B was captured. A and C still not captured
2. E was captured. A and C still not captured.
3. Attackers immediately fanned out and killed Turrets 2, 3 and 4 very quickly.. it was quite a fast game.

I guess the main thing is that hard attacks are difficult to coordinate, but if concerted pushes are possible on one line only while the main bulk of defenders are tied on in other lines, such shenanigans can happen.

It was hilarious watching 12 teammates camping enemy spawn in A while our Turrets were going down.

1 hour ago, sundanceHelix said:

Had quite an interesting game yesterday on Defense.

Sequence of events:

1. B was captured. A and C still not captured
2. E was captured. A and C still not captured.
3. Attackers immediately fanned out and killed Turrets 2, 3 and 4 very quickly.. it was quite a fast game.

I guess the main thing is that hard attacks are difficult to coordinate, but if concerted pushes are possible on one line only while the main bulk of defenders are tied on in other lines, such shenanigans can happen.

It was hilarious watching 12 teammates camping enemy spawn in A while our Turrets were going down.

Germany vs France in a nutshell.

Im running Type 59 with engineering and yoloing caps.

Type seems to be one of the best blends in the game for the mode. Mobile, armour, and gun are all workable. 

If you get a platoon of three decent armoured meds to yolo caps on attackers, you can super easy net big rank points.

Any else not give a shit about this mode already? This time it's gold spam for whatever reason (people tryharding to get reward tanks I guess), barrage after barrage of arty and strike consumables, and winning is just random. Whoever gets the most "2700 damage" players lose, that's basically it. The grind is stupid, there's no way I'm even trying to get the interesting tanks. I just did 11k and only got Major for what the fuck ever. Power creep tanks everywhere. WoT is over. It's just boring now.

17 minutes ago, Jesse_the_Scout said:

Any else not give a shit about this mode already? This time it's gold spam for whatever reason (people tryharding to get reward tanks I guess), barrage after barrage of arty and strike consumables, and winning is just random. Whoever gets the most "2700 damage" players lose, that's basically it. The grind is stupid, there's no way I'm even trying to get the interesting tanks. I just did 11k and only got Major for what the fuck ever. Power creep tanks everywhere. WoT is over. It's just boring now.

I basically see only 90% premium tanks. Everyone is in prems. Almost no one is playing non prefs, i see people firing gold and laugh at them. Its pointless. Play the mode and make bank. Maybe grind some tier 8s if you have some that need it. Going for the reward tanks is meh, I doubt i even get one prestiege this week because I can only play an hour or two a day before it goes to curfew.

I was hit by no less than 4 APCR shells from a pair of scorpions in my 4202, plus a handful from a type 59 and a centurion. I actually found my most successful games were in arty...... As cancerous as it is, I'm filling a spot that pubs cannot play half decently, and most good players refuse to. An arty that can position itself to safely defend a cap is one of the most useful things to have on defense.

46 minutes ago, SoliDeoGloria said:

I was hit by no less than 4 APCR shells from a pair of scorpions in my 4202, plus a handful from a type 59 and a centurion. I actually found my most successful games were in arty...... As cancerous as it is, I'm filling a spot that pubs cannot play half decently, and most good players refuse to. An arty that can position itself to safely defend a cap is one of the most useful things to have on defense.

Just curious: what's the best arty for the job? Something fast-ish with a rapid firing stock gun? Or would it be more useful to run large calibre guns for maximum spashage?

I have found a good way of destroying 5.  If you have capped up to E but F hasn't yet been capped, you can usually get along the bridge in the NE corner of E and get behind the spawn of the defenders of F.  More than once I have had a free run to 5 on my own and destroyed it before the defenders at F have noticed and even if they do notice the distance is so great that in anything with decent alpha you can take it out before they get to you.  Did it twice yesterday in my 50/100.  Wan to try the same method for 2 or 1 but not had the right chance yet.

On 2/14/2019 at 12:57 AM, Tarski said:

On the picture below, if the circle around C is a clock, is the rock you're referring to the outcropping at about 10 o' clock? 

Yeh it is, you just need to be able to get to it safely, which sometimes can be difficult if you spawn stupidly and they have flanking shots on you, especially if they control the east of the cap, but once there you are hard to dig out, blocked like 8k damage from it in one cap.

I am more generally though just using lights + the lnyx 6x6 with engineering, inspire and recon plane, capping or decapping like a mad man, I was two bounces of the arse of an IS-M away from getting General in a 16 minute game last night and I'm probably now averaging around 1k points per game. 

It's hard to always hit general because with all the people with engineering on, you can cap in like 15s and people can just yolo rush through to guns this way, which often leads to like 15 minute games. 

It's also sad that arty on defence seems the easiest way to farm General, with air strike, recon and arty strike I have seen arty players rack up 3-4k additional damage just through consumables and they can farm decap points with ease, often able to get decaps on two separate caps.

it seems to me that the XP bonus for decaping does not account for whether the person is spotting for themselves so arty gets the full bonus from this with none of the risk.

It's the biggest thing IMO that needs fixing in the game IMO, arty getting so easy decaps, the fact arty gets 3 consumables and has access to two indirect fire consumables as an indirect fire class which is just stupid. 

2 hours ago, tajj7 said:

It's also sad that arty on defence seems the easiest way to farm General, with air strike, recon and arty strike I have seen arty players rack up 3-4k additional damage just through consumables and they can farm decap points with ease, often able to get decaps on two separate caps.

This is what I've been doing. (Hey, I need arty for personal missions, okay?) If the enemies play hide and seek it gets harder to farm, but if the enemy is capping and your team fires on them you can rank up ridiculously fast. The easiest cap to farm on defense is A, where I once ranked up something like 4 times in a single minute because the enemy was aggressive and my team was smart enough to shoot the tanks that were capping instead of the tanks that were not capping. Fastest General I've gotten. 

1 hour ago, Tarski said:

my team was smart enough to shoot the tanks that were capping instead of the tanks that were not capping

That - right there, is a legit Frontline unicorn sighting.

13 hours ago, lavawing said:

Just curious: what's the best arty for the job? Something fast-ish with a rapid firing stock gun? Or would it be more useful to run large calibre guns for maximum spashage?

I'm running M40/43, in case I need to block multiple people at once, and I run air strike/recon plane/engineering.

4 hours ago, Tarski said:

The easiest cap to farm on defense is A

E is also extremely easy if you know the correct position. F is quite easy, the only one of the 6 caps I find to be even somewhat difficult to defend as arty is D, thanks to the structure creating large areas where an arty will have trouble getting hits.

49 minutes ago, SoliDeoGloria said:

E is also extremely easy if you know the correct position. F is quite easy, the only one of the 6 caps I find to be even somewhat difficult to defend as arty is D, thanks to the structure creating large areas where an arty will have trouble getting hits.

How do you defend B if you spawn in B? That's the starting zone that gives me trouble. I've resorted to defending one of the other zones when I spawn in B because I'm more useful that way. 

1 hour ago, Tarski said:

How do you defend B if you spawn in B? That's the starting zone that gives me trouble. I've resorted to defending one of the other zones when I spawn in B because I'm more useful that way. 

TBH, your team has to be willing to rush the point if needed. As an arty, you would set up somewhat to the right side, so you can splash them when they hide behind the house.

so im currently lvl 18 and layed more than i already wantet... and doing that up to 10 times is really not a task i am looking forward too... its probably not worth it for the emil aint it

3 hours ago, Tarski said:

B is a freebie cap for the attacking team.  The defense side has diddly squat as far as options. 

Try to defend from the 1, 2 o'clock mound - you realize it's useless.  They blocked off the only part that would make it viable (the portion that would overlook the cap circle)

Try to defend from the eastern edge - has to be super coordinated to even get deep enough to be effective.  And even if you're able to get in on that side, attackers from C could easily use their far western road to negate this maneuver, not to mention you're constantly worried about what will charge at you directly from B spawn area

Try to defend from the western part - you're isolated from the rest of your team, and you still don't have shots on the cap circle, not to mention there's a whole row of attacker spawn bushes where skorps, su-130's blast u.

Yet another example of shit map design by WG.

In fairness the game limits arty, I think it may only be one per front? If you put a cap on one vehicle type I would expect there to be a pile in waiting even if people aren't playing them at an exceptional rate.

Thinking it over more I think my frustration with this mode is stemming more from the switching of flanks than anything. I realize when I get a game on attack I don't get nearly as frustrated, defense is the problem. On defense the entire game is just about the attackers respawning back and forth in different sections and steam rolling you due to massive numerical imbalances. The defenders have no practical way of dealing with it, and you can't even always see the situation on both other flanks. So one minute you're looking at the teams and realizing you're way too heavy on your flank, but your only choice is to kill yourself and then guess which flank needs help. If you guess right you might do some good, but if you guess wrong you spawn in just in time for the zone to get capped out and here comes a freight train of red tanks. Either way you have to take yourself out of the game for over a minute. The next minute the enemy floods your zone and now you're 1 to 2 and just getting stomped on because there's no winning in that scenario. And yet what do you do? You can't leave, as they're just going to walk right through to the objectives. And your team may never bother to clean up the imbalance because understandably no one wants to kill themselves. Even if they're willing the game doesn't give a way to see the numbers on each flank unless I've missed something.

All the while on attack you're able to push into something and get XP, but on defense you are either getting slaughtered and getting little XP or there aren't enough enemies to fight for XP.

I feel like the entire respawn mechanic is a huge oversight in the mode. It works for attack, but on defense I spend half the game either ludicrously outnumbered or sitting on an overloaded flank debating if killing myself is the right choice.