Kymrel

Frontline: Best tanks/tactics for farming General

It would seem that the trick to constantly ranking up, if you're not a unicum-level damage farmer, is to concentrate on the objectives, as @Assassin7 mentioned. Capping and decaping gives a lot of XP. I solo-capped E (didn't start out that way but the other cappers got killed) and went from mid-level sergeant to close to mid-level captain. I find it harder to get general as a defender since you can't control the capping. Sometimes the enemies cap and you can farm them, then they don't cap at all, or cap with ten tanks and you can't do anything.

I ranked up to Prestige 1 and am 17 tiers into a second rank. The first one took 38 games with 804 average 'Frontline XP'. The second time will be less since now I have a better handle on what works.

I have now set myself the objective to get enough Prestige for the Emil. I like the game mode and would play it anyway, but it's nice to have a goal in mind.

5 hours ago, Kymrel said:

I have now set myself the objective to get enough Prestige for the Emil. I like the game mode and would play it anyway, but it's nice to have a goal in mind.

tbh, it's not that bad. It only took me doing about 5 evenings.

You still need the time to be able to make it work. Timezones mean that I'm pretty screwed because evening when I get home is usually when the curfew is still active, so knowing that, I'm simply using it has a means to grind credits and free XP, for which it is actually pretty good.

I agree that defending is much harder to guarantee a good rank, especially depending on how bad your team is. I've had a defending team capitulate in just over 11 minutes just now, no one in the entire game got over Captain rank (defenders had just 1). I agree with @Jesse_the_Scout that the respawn mechanic does weight things in favour of the attackers because they can yolo, die and then respawn into another zone, overload it, get XP by jumping on the cap rinse/repeat. As a defender, if you get stuck in a lane that gets vacated, you waste a lot of time driving around and may not get any XP to show for it if you fail to find anything to shoot at.

Is it just me or do you guys notice the terrain is kind of wonky - especially when doing hull down ridge poking?  I've had good luck playing the Patriot in the middle zones, especially with my very good E5 crew that can max vision.  Vision and shit accuracy are the reason I don't like the defender so far.  So many shots are taken at long range and the defender is just a slot machine at range and is always outspotted.  The Skorp has been a bread and butter cash farmer so far.

I must confess, although Ihave not owned or played arty in years, I bought back the 40/43 for frontline.  Giving arty 3 consumables is broken as fuck - pure cancer broken.

Does it seem like you don't get blind damage counted towards making ranks?

I think you might get blind damage counted. At least some of it. I don't blind fire a lot, since there are usually spotted targets or a million places some ELC/TD could be hiding, but I have ranked up after releasing an arty consumable on a camper who went dark before the strike hit him. 

On 2/16/2019 at 6:23 AM, Jesse_the_Scout said:

In fairness the game limits arty, I think it may only be one per front? If you put a cap on one vehicle type I would expect there to be a pile in waiting even if people aren't playing them at an exceptional rate.

Thinking it over more I think my frustration with this mode is stemming more from the switching of flanks than anything. I realize when I get a game on attack I don't get nearly as frustrated, defense is the problem. On defense the entire game is just about the attackers respawning back and forth in different sections and steam rolling you due to massive numerical imbalances. The defenders have no practical way of dealing with it, and you can't even always see the situation on both other flanks. So one minute you're looking at the teams and realizing you're way too heavy on your flank, but your only choice is to kill yourself and then guess which flank needs help. If you guess right you might do some good, but if you guess wrong you spawn in just in time for the zone to get capped out and here comes a freight train of red tanks. Either way you have to take yourself out of the game for over a minute. The next minute the enemy floods your zone and now you're 1 to 2 and just getting stomped on because there's no winning in that scenario. And yet what do you do? You can't leave, as they're just going to walk right through to the objectives. And your team may never bother to clean up the imbalance because understandably no one wants to kill themselves. Even if they're willing the game doesn't give a way to see the numbers on each flank unless I've missed something.

All the while on attack you're able to push into something and get XP, but on defense you are either getting slaughtered and getting little XP or there aren't enough enemies to fight for XP.

I feel like the entire respawn mechanic is a huge oversight in the mode. It works for attack, but on defense I spend half the game either ludicrously outnumbered or sitting on an overloaded flank debating if killing myself is the right choice.

This is why IMO they need to restrict the max spawning to something like 1-2 on each sector, not 5, as it creates massive imbalances all over the map.

If you want to change sectors, you should have to drive more often than not IMO, not just spawn on a flank to create a big overloads, its where you end up getting like 15-6 situations and stuff which is just silly and idiot defenders often spawn on a sector that already had 12-13 people vs not many. 

Artystrike overall IMO needs to go, maybe leaving airstrike, there is just too much spam of indirect fire once people rank up over the week. 

Arty itself should not be allowed to have 3 consumables, TDs should not have 2 either, if you are going to passively camp in a low risk situation, you don't need consumables IMO.

Engineering needs toning down or maybe doesn't stack with multiple tanks, only the first tank with it on the cap it works for, because you have like 20s to decap which is just stupid.

And points toward ranks need to be shared between spotter and damager, that was how arty was racking up generals on defence so easily, people who took all the risk spotted for them but got nothing towards their rank. 

After this first week, I must say I had a blast and only played randoms to get the 4x for my Hotchkiss EBR. Large maps with room to maneuver and flank is a lovely change of pace from the heavy-centered two-lane map games in randoms.

That said, I'm surprised how little changed from the first time Frontline was a thing. All they did was improve the map a little (making spawn camping harder in C mostly as far as I can tell) and improve the performance/FPS. They didn't address the issues of arty with 3 consumables, stacking arty strikes (especially on caps), stacking engineering when capping (hello three light tank platoons), poor spawn positions and others.

I was really hoping they'd create a second map in the time it took them to get the mode live again. Hell, two new maps would not have been unrealistic. A North-Africa themed one and one with a Russian winter-feel. Just to add a bit of variety if they want to run the event for 10 weeks this year. I'd say I hope they implement that before the end of the year but I don't think they will. Which is likely to make the last few weeks feel very grindy even for people like me who love this game mode.

To add on to this, I figure a quick fix that would make this mode a lot better would be to limit the combat reserves by class.

• Arty gets one, pick between Inspire, Recon Flight and Smoke Screen.
  • TDs get one, pick between Inspire and Recon Flight.
  • Heavies get two, pick between Engineering, Inspire and Smoke Screen.
  • Meds get two, pick between Engineering, Inspire and Smoke Screen.
  • Lights get three, pick between Airstrike, Artillery Strike, Inspire and Smoke Screen.

That way arty can self-spot or smoke (or get a slightly quicker reload with Inspire) but not bombard twice. TDs can self-spot occasionally or inspire other campers. Meds and heavies can pick engineering since they are expected to push on objectives, inspire and smoke screen to cover the advance/retreat. And Lights get to call down arty/airsrikes, inspire and smoke, but don't get engineering for that a-bit-too-good quick cap.

This would limit the number of arty strikes and such huuuugely and prevent the light sneak-capping in 20 seconds.

1 hour ago, kariverson said:

You've noticed you can hear the arty strikes when they are placed right? When I hear them I go a bit out of the way I was. Many times they weren't on me and when they were I was glad I avoided them. 

You get forced into enemy LoS, which is basically everywhere on C cap.

I decided give frontlines a go despite not having played the game for 4 years, I started looking for these recommended prem tanks like Progetto and Skorpion G but I can't find them for sale anywhere. Are these tanks and others only for sale on a limited time basis, and if so does that mean I can only buy them for real money and not gold?

8 hours ago, LamaLeif said:

I decided give frontlines a go despite not having played the game for 4 years, I started looking for these recommended prem tanks like Progetto and Skorpion G but I can't find them for sale anywhere. Are these tanks and others only for sale on a limited time basis, and if so does that mean I can only buy them for real money and not gold?

WG in their infinite greed have adopted the route of doing "flash sales" when it comes to most of the meta premiums nowadays

basically to pressure people into buying them when they are on sale because they wont know when the next chance will be.

i cant even remember the last premium to have been added in-game for gold 

The meta seems different in this iteration of FL. Far more heavy armor. Perhaps it's the Defender sale and TS-5 "free" tank. Perhaps people will realize mobility is the king later, but for now it's pretty stupid.

On 4/15/2019 at 2:32 PM, sohojacques said:

Yeah real money only. They rotate through the store pretty often. 

19 hours ago, Deus__Ex__Machina said:

WG in their infinite greed have adopted the route of doing "flash sales" when it comes to most of the meta premiums nowadays

basically to pressure people into buying them when they are on sale because they wont know when the next chance will be.

i cant even remember the last premium to have been added in-game for gold 

I can't stand it when companies do this to enforce artificial limits to availability, I'm here right now wanting to buy a Progetto so shut up and take my money WG.

18 hours ago, Kymrel said:

The meta seems different in this iteration of FL. Far more heavy armor. Perhaps it's the Defender sale and TS-5 "free" tank. Perhaps people will realize mobility is the king later, but for now it's pretty stupid.

I'm starting to love light tanks on FL, I haven't memorized the map yet but it's great just buzzing around spotting people and getting flanking shots in. I feel like this game mode finally has a map large enough for the game to be played the way it is supposed to be played, rather than being played on tiny narrow corridor camping meta maps.

3 hours ago, LamaLeif said:

I'm starting to love light tanks on FL, I haven't memorized the map yet but it's great just buzzing around spotting people and getting flanking shots in. I feel like this game mode finally has a map large enough for the game to be played the way it is supposed to be played, rather than being played on tiny narrow corridor camping meta maps.

I agree. Even the Lynx isn't all that annoying to play in this game mode. Not as good as the EBR premium, clearly, but a tolerable grind. Can't stand playing that thing on the endless corridor maps in randoms.

1 hour ago, sohojacques said:

@LamaLeif the Russian LT 432 is one of the cheaper meta tanks if you don’t have one yet.

Is it even for sale right now? *mumbles something about availability limited artificially*

2 minutes ago, LamaLeif said:

Is it even for sale right now? *mumbles something about availability limited artificially*

On SEA it is. Marketed as part of a Frontline sale so NA might have it as well?

Yeah that artificial limited availability... often not being able to buy a crew trainer when grinding several lines now is really stupid.

On 2/15/2019 at 12:17 PM, EvilMonkee said:

f4vqtrh3tko.jpg?zoom=1.25&resize=620,617

I have found a good way of destroying 5.  If you have capped up to E but F hasn't yet been capped, you can usually get along the bridge in the NE corner of E and get behind the spawn of the defenders of F.  More than once I have had a free run to 5 on my own and destroyed it before the defenders at F have noticed and even if they do notice the distance is so great that in anything with decent alpha you can take it out before they get to you.  Did it twice yesterday in my 50/100.  Wan to try the same method for 2 or 1 but not had the right chance yet.

I have tried this tactics and was disgusted how little progress in the ranks I have received. Killing the turret entirely alone I have moved maybe one third of the rank (Sergeant to Lieutenant). It seems that focusing on enemy tanks and simply ignoring the objectives makes much more sense.

I hate it when people do that. The only time I try to go for the turrets fast in a light tank is when my team is having trouble capping F and I want to draw some of the defenders away. Otherwise I just shoot tanks and try to cap to get the maximum prestige. This sneak-attacking objectives seems much easier in the wheelies than it is in regular light tanks.