JokerHBS

Solo Expectations

Question

Hello fellow Tankers,

finally got around to registering in the forums.

The question i have, is this....What are realistic expectations in my case, that i can have? What limitations will i probably dont overcome?

Both regarding general player skill.

I see myself as an average to good player, that had his fair share of hard carries under his belt.

Every match of the 11k i played, were solo pub matches. Never platooned a day in my life, except for 10 matches in tier 1 - 3 Tanks, where i tried getting a friend of mine into the game.

Because i almost exclusively play pretty late at night, i never tried getting into a clan. Despite the fact, that i see clan-play as too serious a business, whereas i dont like to have dependencies on other players schedules.

I never took up a platoon invite, because i cant use TS3 (GF already asleep most of the time, when i play), so my old Headphones have to suffice. And communicating via text-chat makes the platooning redundant.

My aim is at 58 - 60% WR, with a 1800 WN7.

Is it realisticly obtainable with solo pub matches? Or did i set my goals way too high?

I dont plan on statpadding with the "usual suspects".

Thx for the thoughts and answers in advance,

Greetings

13 answers to this question

I platoon with text chat all the time. It's not as bad as you'd think.

Depending on the tank I use, I'd probably get +2.3k WN and ~60% win rate soloing.

I typically solo pub in the low 60s range with WN7 in the 2200-2400 range.  Maybe a little higher if I'm mostly playing good tanks and maybe a little lower if I'm playing bad tanks.

The best players have shown they can solo pub into the 70% range (with decent tanks at least).

I've mostly been in the 60/2200 range solo.  Mid 60s ~2400 in very good tanks.   Better is certainly possible.  If you work at it, your goals are certainly attainable. 

@JokerHBS:

Dont orient yourself on WN-Numbers especially from NA-Guys. Its a different server with a different player base - more newbies ..., probably even a different playstyle and more number fanatics for sure.

That aside nearly every tank can reach 55% WR solo random regardless of its tier, some even reach 70% WR. I took a short look at your ingame stats. The damage output on KT and Patton is hurting my eyes, while on the other hand the IS6 looks promising though 2000 dpb+ doable. Ofc that also depends on how much APCR you re willing to shot.

For heavy tanks aim for at least "own HP + 300" dpb, t9+ meds should also get there ofc playing T54 as a scout and not as brawler will lower your dpb. And if you manage at least 1.5 kills per battle and dont just camp (spots) you should get to WN 1800.

Overall: Stay alive longer -> make more damage/kills -> higer WR and WN-Rating

question that ties into the OP- I am grinding tanks so not out there "stat padding" but are there tiers to avoid? or tanks that really hurt your WN7? right now I'm noticing about a 55-58% win rate and about 1600-1900 wn7. playing mostly 5-8's

Depends on the tier you play. 

At your skill level i'd probably say:

Tier 6 - 55-65% (depends on the 6)

Tier 7 - 57-65%  (depends on the 7, at this tier the mediums can't really carry but the heavies can ex T29, IS2)

Tier 8 - 55-65% (depending on preferential prems)

Tier 9 - 55%

Tier 10 - 50-55%

A lot of people will claim that they can solo pub 60% in any tier, however very very few actually can achieve 60% in tier 10s, but because so few actually do it (such as myself) they get a perception bias from the high rates they get out of platoons and assume that they can (this is true of every tier but most particularly tier 10 as that is the hardest carry tier).

I'm playing about 30% in platoons (only text chat) and 70% solo. I don't really see a difference in my win rate or WN7. So I'd say its very much possible to go 60% win rate by playing solo.

Tier 7 - 57-65%  (depends on the 7, at this tier the mediums can't really carry but the heavies can ex T29, IS2)

Tier 9 - 55%

Tier 10 - 50-55%

A lot of people will claim that they can solo pub 60% in any tier, however very very few actually can achieve 60% in tier 10s, but because so few actually do it (such as myself) they get a perception bias from the high rates they get out of platoons and assume that they can (this is true of every tier but most particularly tier 10 as that is the hardest carry tier).

I'd more or less agree depending on tanks.  I've found that before 8.6 i could pull over 60% w/r solo in my T57 pretty easy and some of my clan mates could do the same in similarly OP tanks.  With the 8.6 changes its a different ball game, lot more good toons running in T10, coupled with how obscenely OP tds have become makes playing meds or heavies at T10 solo annoyingly difficult.  Running the right tanks you could easily pull 1800 wn7/60% w/r solo, i just would not recommend trying it in T10s.  All that being said, T9 has become a bit of a mm sweet spot since there are actually enough T10s playing to fill the games, just be ready to carry hard with how poorly the pubs play now.

Text based platoon is definitely workable, i used to play only text based platoon with Kewei, Veril,811,Millard and MaxL due to the fact that Kewei was deaf.

Each of your platoon members just need to be very aware of what is going on, such as when to go back to base, and who should go first when the enemy is holed up, and really, there isn't much use of voicechat except to make fun of eachother..

thanks for all your thoughts and answers so far.

it definitely gives me hope, that i'm more or less on the right path in my development.

the 3 most important things i still have to work on are:

1. dont make stupid impulse decisions (mostly when i see my team melting, i get it in my brain, that i need to go man-mode if i still want to win this match - sometimes its the right idea, but completely the wrong moment to do it; or i get frustrated and yolo to my death); patience was the hardest thing to learn for me

2. when i see my team lemming-train to one spot on the map, i tried to hold the middle and other flank by myself. to at least delay the inevitable.

most of the time its a stupid idea, because dealing with multiple flanks against multiple opponents is a lose-lose situation.

nowadays i kinda hang back from the lemming-train, but still in support range from those guys and observe the open flanks, trying to use opportunities, that may arise but not doing it all by myself.

3. keep my tunnel-visioning in check

@Folterknecht

i ran through the german heavy line first thing i did as fast as i could, after starting to play this play game. didnt stop to learn anything on the way. when i reached my Tiger II, i was still a horrible player. liked the tank, but didnt know what to do with it :(

i dont really have that excuse for the Patton performance, except that mediums are not really my kind of tea. (TD's seem to be my sweatspot)

i tend to be way too agressive in them, either relying too much on armor, that doesnt exist or getting too fast in positions, where i dont have support that early on in the game. oddly enough i love my Leopard Prototyp, though. (After the horrible horrible stock grind, that is)

one example: bought my tier X Patton (still my first and only tier X) after maybe 8k games played. i thought i was ready for tier X, lets just say i wasnt.

the combination of grinding for the top-gun on the M48 and playing a tier X tank for the first time, made me hate this tank. the first and only tank, where i got nervous even before the match started. i didnt expect that tier X's were a world by themselves. i dont play it that much, but i'm starting to get the hang of it. the first 20 games in it, i maybe won 5 or so. wasnt good for my confidence :(

they only thing i still dont like is, that it rocks on its suspension back and forth for an eternity after coming to a stop.

thanks again to all you guys

greetings

I run about 50% solo and 50% platoon.  I actually do track this fairly accurately.

My solo rate is about 60%

My platoon rate is about 80%

This averages out to my current 60day win rate of about 70%.

So yes, what you are asking is quite achievable.

Tier 9 - 55%

Tier 10 - 50-55%

very true indeed.

i can hit most of the time 60-65% win rate solo in any tier but tier 10

at tier ten i usually hit 55%.

and atm tier 9 seems to be my sweet spot, nearly getting 70% in some tanks.

tier 10 battles usually has just so much more hp that doing 6k in tier 8 or 9 is nice but tier 10 it aint all that fancy.

but in general when playing solo your winrate will drop but wn7 will increase(no platoon mate carrying to victory but because he is not there you will most of the time deal more dmg than average).

and then the reverse when you are platooning.

i play a lot with one of the top players in EU called Humbart and it is so clear that when i am platooning with him i can only get around 2k wn7 but winrate can go as high as 90% but once i go solo my wn7 can go up to 3k even but achieving anything from 55% to 70% winrate.

so achieving the stats you set out are doable solo defenetly.

and it is just a matter of not doing mistakes, once you reach unicum level the only difference between a 2k wn7 and 3k wn7 player is just the amount of small mistakes they do

The 3 solo challenges I've done went like thus,

Foch155-77% [ELITE]

JP2-73%, [Tried a few 105 games, ground out tracks]

ARL44-64%(?) No sixth sense, 80% crew on critical members(Commander, Driver). I threw several of these games with poor play, easily 70% solo on this if I hadn't.

Great solo stats are attainable for anyone without a physical limitation if they will drill and discipline themselves--and stop being content with blaming the team. I love helping guys improve, I hate hearing the team blamed. If I die and we don't win it's probably my fault on some level. That's the mentality you want if you're going to drive yourself to improve.