Rexxie

CPU Usage and Mouse Polling

Quick summary:

My CPU (Ryzen 3 1200) is being obliterated by my mouse (Steelseries Rival 300). By how much is highly dependent on what I set my mouse polling rate to; moving the mouse causes a minimum of a 10% jump in CPU usage at a 125hz polling rate, up to ~30% CPU usage at 1000hz.

I'm confused because by all accounts I've read, mouse polling rate should cause next to no impact on performance. I am using the basic mouse drivers along with steelseries engine (steelseries' mouse settings software). I've also made sure it's actually causing performance issues in applications; my framerate in anything CPU-bottlenecked drops by that same 10-30%, dependent on polling rate.

For now I've just set my polling rate to 125hz, but I'm honestly curious what is actually going on here. I have never heard of a modern CPU having this kind of issue. I also have a friend with the same mouse who also sees relatively the same CPU usage and FPS drops when moving their Rival, so my first bet would be a pretty horrible bug in an relatively common mouse.

(Win10, no over/underclocking, on an RX480, mouse is wired via USB3)

ASRock AB350 Pro 4, I haven't installed any of the mobo BIOS updates, if that's what you mean? I could try that, but I haven't noticed anything else off & think any BIOS updates my board has are more for better memory support.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem like it, there's nothing USB-related in there, just a lot of tools and drivers if you happen to use some very specific hardware setups. I'd be surprised if its actually my USB controller, my girlfriend has the same issue with a different mobo but same mouse.

edit:

Some more weird tidbits, this only happens when the mouse is moving on the main monitor. Moving it on my secondary monitor causes no real CPU usage.

edit edit:

Also somewhat worryingly, I see a ton of people mentioning this problem online, but not a single conclusive fix being posted. Ouch. Doesn't seem related to the mouse at all, this probably isn't something I'm going to be able to fix.

Steelseries Malware, fam. 
yeah i know dontclickdumbshit.exe is the best antivirus out there but disconnect it from the internet and retest.

Do you have some special SS driver/program installed? Maybe it's that fucking up, artificially cranking up the polling rate via driver instead of letting the mouse hardware handle it. Check if there are options to unload settings onto the mouse (my Logitech can do this).

Update BIOS, update all mobo related drivers - that 's all you can do beside getting rid of that mouse and the SS drivers (may need fresh Windows install ...). Haven't heard of shit like that in ages

Try run Task Manager while running the game, you can check CPU usage there to find the culprit

If it runs better with Task Manager open, congratulations you've got malware/virus.