sundanceHelix

WoT 1.5 map exclusions

Just curious how the map exclusion mechanic is working out for you all so far. Is it significantly beneficial at all or is it mainly psychologically soothing? Situationally useful? (e.g. banning Mines when playing high tier or banning Province/Widepark at lower tiers?)

They really should have just let us chose which maps we wanted to play on instead which we didn't because there are many shitty maps. I personally disabled Paris and Ensk, but can easily add Mines, Airfield, Himmelsdorf, Sigfried Line to them as well.

1 hour ago, Archaic_One said:

Its so tank dependent that the only way it would matter is if I could be bothered to change it before every game - which I certainly won't 

There's a 4h cooldown to change your map choice(s), so unless you would be planning to play that same tank for 4h, (or similar-playing tanks, which could also be a thing) then it wouldn't work anyways.

Well hopefully they will at least be tracking the meta-data (which I am sure is the real point of this) so they can give some of the least popular maps some attention.

I'm pretty happy with it. There's probably only one map which I totally hate in all tank types at all times - and that is Mountain Pass, which is the single most restrictive and corridory map in the entire game, which I hate with an absolute passion. It is awful to play as a slow heavy (long drive to get anywhere useful, and that crossing point in high tiers often means losing HP), awful as a paper medium (no flanking opportunities), awful as a scout (few safe spots to actually spot anything), half the map isn't useful, and it is entirely possible due to bad deployment/imbalanced teams to get trapped in one third of the map for the entire game. Hate it in all circumstances. Delighted to have it as my single map excluded.

What I've been doing now is block Ensk and Himmel for the first half of my session when trying to do light/medium tank missions, and then block Mali and Prok for the other half when playing slow heavies.

I'll probably soon settle for just blocking one map 100 % of the time. That would be Airfield. It's mediocre for every other vehicle class except arty.

I blocked mines because that tiny map is awful in high tiers.  Everything gets almost permalit unless you are in the rear.  I forget what other map I blocked.  It might be one of the city maps.

Fjords and Paris at the moment for me, while I'm mostly playing the new Swedish tier 8 medium. I can't remember the last time I had an enjoyable game on either map. Although I'll likely change Paris for Empire's Borders when playing random tanks.

If I could choose 2 maps to play, I'd go for prokhorovka and malinovka.

The others are all shit.

For now I banned Minsk and Abbey

1 hour ago, Deus__Ex__Machina said:

this implies that you logged into tanks and are playing again 

in which case i am disappointed in you   

Nope, don't have it downloaded. Another reason why the polish map will never be seen again.

Blocked Ensk and Minsk.. but got Ensk several times in last 2 days.... FFS

3 minutes ago, igorCRO said:

Blocked Ensk and Minsk.. but got Ensk several times in last 2 days.... FFS

It only blocks standard battles, if you have encounter and assault enabled you'll still get those maps in those modes. It's retarded but it's wargaming after all

I noticed with Wargaming's map design there are several maps I don't like and they all have a similar configuration.  Death zone in the middle and two corridors for frontal fighting.  

You know what?

This map banning thing just made the game unplayable.

We all know arty players can ban maps too.

We all know they mostly banned city maps like Himmelsdorf, Ruinberg and Paris.

Those 3 maps are shit to begin with, no matter the tank you're playing.

So now we're left with good maps like sand river/malinovka/prokhorovka with 3 arty per side, every single game.

At high tiers it's even worse since t10 arties can really fuck you up if you are in anything that's not a maus or a type 5.

11 hours ago, WhatTheSkara said:

You know what?

This map banning thing just made the game unplayable.

We all know arty players can ban maps too.

We all know they mostly banned city maps like Himmelsdorf, Ruinberg and Paris.

Those 3 maps are shit to begin with, no matter the tank you're playing.

So now we're left with good maps like sand river/malinovka/prokhorovka with 3 arty per side, every single game.

At high tiers it's even worse since t10 arties can really fuck you up if you are in anything that's not a maus or a type 5.

haha WG buffed arty.

Remove arty.

Remove WarGay

Remove arty benefits from standard tank changes.

Instead of letting players ban maps, WG should really have let players just choose the maps they want to play. There are simply too many shitty maps made without any real clue what good map design is. Like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. It's not really possible, or at least it will require a ton of force, but hell, WG will keep trying.

9 hours ago, DirtyACE7 said:

Instead of letting players ban maps, WG should really have let players just choose the maps they want to play. There are simply too many shitty maps made without any real clue what good map design is. Like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. It's not really possible, or at least it will require a ton of force, but hell, WG will keep trying.

By instead giving the option to ban all maps, you gain the satisfaction of saying fuck you.

On 5/4/2019 at 1:41 AM, Mureke said:

What I've been doing now is block Ensk and Himmel for the first half of my session when trying to do light/medium tank missions, and then block Mali and Prok for the other half when playing slow heavies.

I'll probably soon settle for just blocking one map 100 % of the time. That would be Airfield. It's mediocre for every other vehicle class except arty.

I haven't played in a year and I just found out about this feature! But if I were to block any map Ensk would be the #1 map to kill on my list! Got sick of everyone never covering the east flank!