Nice not needing the tracks to mount the top turret and gun. Stock engine gets the tank around on the flat at top speed just fine so leave it ‘til last.

As I said in the 14 5 thread, the gun isn’t much of an upgrade from the tier 8. So you go from having one of the very best guns at the tier to having one that is merely average.* Having some armour is nice but it’s very situational. 

I’m still finding the siege mode a bit awkward. But nowhere near as awkward as my current dpg, which after 34 games is at tier 8 levels of meh.

*Of course, a merely average MT gun at tier 9 is still pretty good.

Crap, I researched the tracks, and engine. Radio carried over... grinding the x3 from premium account for the top gun and turret. I go on business trip on Sunday... hoping to get it fully researched by the weekend. 

It looks like the tier 9 has some turret armor, compared to the tier 8. I don't want to slum it in Tier 8's, so I just researched past it. Is the 8 any good?

45 minutes ago, Matross said:

Is the 8 any good?

Yes. It’s gun is so far ahead of most tier 8s. Really highlights the gulf between tiers 8 and 9. 

First impression with everything but the engine researched? The gun is much worse, somehow, than the top gun on the tier 8. It shoots dirt and sky even when fully aimed. So far this one seems much worse tier for tier than the tier 8. But that's just first impressions,  I guess.

@Kymrel I’d rate the tier 8 as a tier 8.5 while the UDES 16 is an average tier 9; so balanced. 

And yes, I felt the tier 8s gun was more reliable as well. But the gulf of expectation is so high between tiers 8 and 9. And as we’ve discussed elsewhere, MM changes are probably also playing a role in this.

I don’t regret selling the 14 5. My few tech tree tier 8s rust in my garage as I play the tier for credits. The 16 is a novel addition to the game that hasn’t broken anything with its arrival. I’m having fun in it.

It seems to have the typical binary Swedish armor. Low-caliber guns have massive problems penning but Rusky tanks lol-pen unless the angle is extreme.

I’ve actually had a good amount of success face hugging tier 8 ruski HTs and TDs when getting yolo’ed, because their shitty gun depression equals ricochet. But I think high tier HEAT will trash you more often then not. Really need tanks.gg to get their armour models working to know for sure.

Either I'm really unlucky, or the engine catches fire like a stable full of dry manure under Arizona sun. 4 games, 3 engine fire, GGs

==================================

Arty shot: frontal engine fire

122 pen: frontal engine fire

HE at tracks: frontal engine fire

????? what is this

Yeah, I normally don't run food but the gun seems to need it. But it burns so much I think I may need to use an extinguisher. I've been running a firefighting directive, since they've given me about 300 of those, but I still burn for a lot of HP in far too many games.

It's time to bite the bullet and stop using food and take an extinguisher. This thing lights up like a Christmas tree and even with the firefighting directive I'm burning for 600ish HP.

I've been watching some RU streamers. Pretty much all of them are using the AFE instead of food and are also running rammer, vents and optics, no vert stab. Apparently the stabilization is very good already without it.

i run food, fire directive, but then I have a shit crew with a female commander (so I at least have 6th) as I want my good crew in the Emil/Kran (currently in the Leo)...IIRC im running vstab, rammer, optics 

this is on the tier 8

23 hours ago, DirtyACE7 said:

I've been watching some RU streamers. Pretty much all of them are using the AFE instead of food and are also running rammer, vents and optics, no vert stab. Apparently the stabilization is very good already without it.

The gun handling is not that good. 

With 20k still to go on the grind the novelty has well and truly worn off; to the point where it’s turned me off playing the game altogether (2 games in the last fortnight). Gun is so wonky I’m having Charioteer flashbacks and I’ve never stopped finding the siege mode just a bit annoying. Will sell when the grind is done.

23 minutes ago, sohojacques said:

With 20k still to go on the grind the novelty has well and truly worn off; to the point where it’s turned me off playing the game altogether 2 games in the last fortnight). Gun is so wonky I’m having Charioteer flashbacks and I’ve never stopped finding the siege mode just a bit annoying. Will sell when the grind is done.

If it makes you any more enthusiastic about it, if you play a session on it you can sort of get used to the siege. A lot of small things have to change, such as how you approach spots to shoot. You get a point where you on instinct slow down to your hyrdo mode prior to even getting to places, so you can then creep. It isn't very natural compared to other tanks, but once you get in the groove it can be stupidly effective.

@Ezz I’m used to the siege mode I just struggle to see any real value in it. That constant hesitation you mention whenever you want to depress your gun over 5 degrees outweighs the benefit of the extra few degrees the mode gives you imho. If you get to set up and farm retards it’s fantastic. But as soon as your constantly adjusting your position... Idk just not my cup of tea. I’d much rather just relax in my 7/1. 

PS and the gun is derpy as fuck.

I don't see how I'm buying this thing after I finish the t8 grind.

Btw you don't see many around anymore. I don't know if it's because people moved to tier 10 or because it's crap and they have abandoned the line.

Actually my opinion of this tank improved vastly as I played it. At first it was a rude awakening after the nice tier 8, which is better tier for tier than the tier 9. But as I got used to playing it as a second line support tank early game and a regular medium after that it got better. A lot better, in fact. It really helped that I played this tank almost exclusively. I've finished the grind to tier 10 but I'm keeping the 16 in my garage, for now. I haven't even aced it yet (due to too many of you purple unicorns grinding up the line) so I may play it some more in the future. I didn't sell the tier 8 either, for that matter. Both take some getting used to, but really work once you are comfortable with the siege mechanism.

The main thing I still have problems with is poking hills in close quarters. Like C1 on Serene Coast. It doesn't work well, since you can't poke up quickly and get your gun on target and the baddies have time to pull back denying you the shot.

Yeah it’s terrible for close range brawling. Not just because you can’t poke quickly but also because reds can often easily change their angle of attack to get around you auto bounce armour.