Sign in to follow this  
Kymrel

Pay-To-Win is a slip'n slide

Wargaming is now planning to let us purchase "training manuals"  giving crew free XP. So now you don't even have to play the game to have a good crew.

https://worldoftanks.eu/en/news/general-news/1-5-1-crew-books/

This is a good thing TBH, no more excuses for not having BIA and 6th sense. This cuts down on the required crew grind before the "fun" can start.

Now if they just do that crew skill rework already and give everyone 6th sense by default... :serb:

2 hours ago, Haswell said:

Now if they just do that crew skill rework already and give everyone 6th sense by default... :serb:

Can't monetize that, so they won't do that.

1 hour ago, Madner Kami said:

Can't monetize that, so they won't do that.

They absolutely can.

1. split crew skills into two sets, old and new
2. everyone stays on old crew skills by default
3. use wallet to unlock new crew skills

Since only the progression will be different but the skills will be exactly the same, nobody can cry pay2win that way.

:novaserb:

You have always been able to buy crew skills with “free” xp. So nothing has really changed. It all hinges on price and in game currency. But it’s being sold for credits at this stage which would be a big improvement in my book.

Good for new players but trivialises the crew grinding aspect of the game. As above, if they want to get people at least competitive, they could have just given SS by default.

19 minutes ago, Ezz said:

trivialises the crew grinding aspect of the game

There's zero reason to add in grinds of any kind except to artificially inflate player time investment. How do grinds add anything to gameplay or make it more fun?

27 minutes ago, Haswell said:

There's zero reason to add in grinds of any kind except to artificially inflate player time investment. How do grinds add anything to gameplay or make it more fun?

By giving people a reason to play. Many of their previous incentives were built around bonus crew xp - boosters, specials, female crew - now they just drop in a 'here, pay some credits and ignore all that'.

It's just one more way for new players to rush up to higher tiers too soon. Granted, it's a small step compared to the endless credits they are throwing at us these days, but it's still a step in that direction. And while it's true you could use free XP to do that, I doubt many people do. 

14 hours ago, Ezz said:

By giving people a reason to play. Many of their previous incentives were built around bonus crew xp - boosters, specials, female crew - now they just drop in a 'here, pay some credits and ignore all that'.

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone playing to grind crew exp, since it takes an absurd amount of time for no reward. Maxing out a crew takes something like 13,4 million exp IIRC, so even though I'm not sure how high you can stack an exp bonus these days, you'd still have to play 2680 games with that crew at an average of 5k exp/game. If a game runs at 5 min average, that's a cool 223 hours from start to finish, not counting garage time. I guess you can cut a couple of hours off that time by starting with a 100% crew but still :doge:

As for crew exp and skills in general, it's always been kinda shitty and pay to win. Sure, you didn't exactly buy the 2nd or 3rd skill but a premium account alone would give you a 50% exp bonus, getting to pretty much all of the good skills dozens of hours before someone equally good without prem. And that's before we talk WotLabs superstar grinders vs a tomato with no prem :serb:

<- grinded his rerolled account on his fresh dpg 907 with an 80% crew instead of playing TBs/SHs because fuck grinding crew XP lol

i will say that the grindy nature of this game is a positive, if it’d be like other F2P games where you could just buy everything to skip the grind entirely a lot of wots value would drop.. here the XP needs to come from somewhere which means that you have to invest time into the game and not just money

this training thing wont matter tbh, the people good enough to reroll for stats have done so already and everyone else has their garage pretty well set by now, honestly cant count on new players in this game lol i dunno who’d suffer through low tiers to grind their way to the t10 gameplay that isnt even good

19 minutes ago, Kolni said:

everyone else has their garage pretty well set by now, 

:feelsbad:

5 hours ago, Kolni said:

this training thing wont matter tbh, the people good enough to reroll for stats have done so already and everyone else has their garage pretty well set by now, honestly cant count on new players in this game lol i dunno who’d suffer through low tiers to grind their way to the t10 gameplay that isnt even good

I have several 3+ skill crew members playing cards in my garage that I will probably never use from all of the 8-bit, Chaffee racing, etc.  What WG should be doing is making the 75% of crew skills and equipment that are useless and irrelevant worth actually acquiring.  Maybe if WG made Signal Boosting and Mentor not shit I'd be more interested in crew XP 

7 hours ago, Kolni said:

here the XP needs to come from somewhere which means that you have to invest time into the game and not just money

And that's the point. They are removing some of that time (as noted, for some people) and replacing it with a shortcut. Of course those credits need time to grind or, lol, be bought.

And yes I'm sure there are people who don't care about crews enough to use boosters or play more when there's a special on. Yet on the other side you even see some of the CCs proclaiming crew skills as being almost a requirement for decent performance. Noting those aren't necessarily the most skillful of fellows but they certainly add weight to the sense that crews are worth grinding.

while they do matter they are also very overrated

they matter because it's a parameter you can improve on infinitely, but having played so much without them they really dont play as big of a part as made out to be

the big hump is to get over not having sixth sense, it makes for a totally different game because you have to guess and react to anything that could spot you but past that and you won't notice everything else very much

90s CD rep kit made the repair skill a lot less useless, i only do one engagement in that window so my kit'll be back up anyway most of the time so the repair skill really goes down in value

camo is probably the most notable skill you can learn in game imo, after you get past playing without sixth sense then having camo really is noticeable, while everything else is sort of playable without

with a stock 100% crew i'd say my dpg goes down less than 600 on t10s across the board, which is still very far from bad performance

Grind is the bad game designers answer to the question of "How do I keep people playing my shitty live service game".

There are no good game designers working on live service games.

As a result, all live service games are shitty and grindy.

Welcome to the future.

13 minutes ago, Haswell said:

Take that corporate shittalk away. :eww:

Sure thing buddy!

Grind is the bad game designers answer to the question of "How do I keep people playing my shitty F2P online-only game".

There are no good game designers working on F2P online-only games.

As a result, all F2P online-only games are shitty and grindy.

Welcome to the future.

Seems fine to me, we have a very experienced playerbase, with mass ranks of tanks and crews in the garage, that is tough place to be for newer players so stuff that allows them to catch up and be more at an equal footing I think is a good thing.

Similar to BIA free crews and PM crews having skills, boosters etc. all help people catch up crews. 

Also isn't sixth for everyone coming, they confirmed it at xmas IIRC. 

1 hour ago, tajj7 said:

Also isn't sixth for everyone coming, they confirmed it at xmas IIRC. 

Christmas of which year? They brought that up or promised it repeatedly in the past, so blegh.

1 hour ago, Madner Kami said:

Christmas of which year? They brought that up or promised it repeatedly in the past, so blegh.

This year, or just in the new year was in that video with all the promised changes, like improved premium account and stuff. 

On 5/30/2019 at 3:03 PM, tajj7 said:

This year, or just in the new year was in that video with all the promised changes, like improved premium account and stuff. 

So they're only 9 years late to a mechanic that should have been in the game from the start? Thanks, WG! :serb:

On 5/30/2019 at 8:03 AM, tajj7 said:

WG fest this past year