Sign in to follow this  
Kymrel

Interesting changes to the Frontline mode

This is from the third iteration of the 1.5.1 common test: 

Changes to the Frontline mode

Changed the number of slots for the Combat Reserves that are available to each vehicle type. Now their number is as follows:

• Light tanks: 1 slot instead of 3
  • Medium tanks: 2 slots instead of 1
  • Heavy tanks: 3 slots instead of 1
  • TDs: no changes (2 slots)
  • SPGs: 1 slot instead of 3

Decreased the respawn cooldown from 30 to 10 seconds.

Increased the repair cooldown of destroyed vehicles from 5 to 7 minutes (the reinforcement cooldown remains unchanged).

Now the objectives (pillboxes with the large-caliber guns) spot enemy vehicles of the attacking team according to the standard rules of spotting. The view range of the pillboxes is Х meters.

Source: https://worldoftanks.eu/en/news/general-news/1-5-1-common-test-1/

Terrible changes IMO, what an absurd nerf to light tanks that is.

The only good thing there is re-spawn cooldown and arty losing 2 consumables (but really it should have none)

But why the fck does a heavy tank need 3 consumables? Can we not have a game mode where they are not the dominant class? So now in your light against that Defender you can't pen, he can spot you with recon plane and dump arty on you, cos reasons. 

Yet again WG fail to recognise the problems, lights are not dominant because of their 3 consumables but because of how powerful engineering is, especially stacked, they should have nerfed that. 

With these changes we'll just see more Defenders and VKs that no one can pen being spammed that can do more stuff on their own and more Progettos spammed because they get 2 consumables now.

Lights will still be able to yolo caps with engineering, but instead of being somewhat useful on defense given their consumables, now they'll be near J out territory. Meanwhile heavies which are shunned in part because they are slow, are now going to be slow, but with more magic spells. Maybe that's what WG want. Is murazor a FL balancer? At least the arty nerf makes sense.

Well yeh that is the other thing you can't set up your consumbales after you know what side you are on. 

I mostly like it. This might be an unpopular opinion, but light tanks could do with a bit of a nerf in this game mode (I know, shocker). I play them a lot (probably 50% light, 40% meds, 10% something else), but the sheer number of EBRs and 432s gets boring after a while. If this persuades some reserves-hungry people to switch to meds that's fine by me.

I'll take engineering on all my lights. It's well worth it when defending as you can yolo in and get heaps of XP, or set up in a sneaky spot and farm cappers from range in some cases. It's useless when defending the turrets, but then it's useless as well when attacking the turrets so that's a wash.

I would probably have gone with 2 for heavies and 3 for meds, but I can live with this. I don't think heavies needed to be pandered to, frankly, but I can sort of see why they did it. I hardly ever take mine out in this mode, only really when I need to attack or defend the city. But in general heavies feel pretty useless much of the time with poor DPM, long aim times and poor accuracy (generally speaking) as well as being too slow for this huge map. Spawning so far away from the action after the last patch really doesn't help. So, again, not a change I would have made, but I can sort of see where it's coming from.

Combat reserves are mostly a convenience, not a necessity. If the only change had been reducing the reserves arty gets to 1 (or 0....) that would have been a good change.

Lights are shit in every other game mode, completely unused in like ranked and you get like one in CWs, I don't really see much wrong with them being the strongest class in FL, actually gave a point to having tier 8 lights. 

These changes are a mixed bag that hurt newer players, increase grind time, and lessen credit income.

A couple of reasonable changes that seem to make some sense from a purely Frontline balance perspective but not under the shadow of Grinding it for 10 Episodes to earn reward tank(s).      

Decreased the respawn cooldown from 30 to 10 seconds.
This doesn't really do anything for anyone.  It takes away the player's personal break to get refocused.

Increased the repair cooldown of destroyed vehicles from 5 to 7 minutes (the reinforcement cooldown remains unchanged). 
This greatly increases the difficulty of grinding tech tree tanks.  It also means more more repair bills lessening credit earnings per match.  Not to mention players may be much more hesitant to throw their tank away to fast/cap or block cap to keep the game moving forward.  Obviously, players with small garages or that have to use the nerfed (and retarded) rental system will suffer more.   

Now the objectives (pillboxes with the large-caliber guns) spot enemy vehicles of the attacking team according to the standard rules of spotting. The view range of the pillboxes is 445 Х meters.
Presumably the standard camo/view range interactions are still valid.  This is a good change and will allow the defending team a little more latitude chasing the idiots who like to farm objectives early to "win".  Now that attackers are more visible they may pull more resources away from cap defense(s).

Changed the number of slots for the Combat Reserves that are available to each vehicle type. Now their number is as follows:

• Light tanks: 1 slot instead of 3
  • Medium tanks: 2 slots instead of 1
  • Heavy tanks: 3 slots instead of 1
  • TDs: no changes (2 slots)
  • SPGs: 1 slot instead of 3 

The best thing is this really nerfs Arty's ability to rank up (no assisted from recon flights and/or strikes on cap).  Full Stop.  In reality it just nerfs light tanks by taking them out of the viable tank mix.  Simply, shifting it to mediums with no real net change for game play other than maybe less LTs running around behind the lines being a distraction.

I suspect it will also slow down progress of the attack by introducing more slow moving and inflexible tanks that players will be less willing to risk due to the downside of extended cooldowns.  It's already hard enough to get attacks moving forward in a timely manner.

Overall, this looks like a massive buff to defenders with slower attacks more inflexible tanks translating into shorter games and less time to farm FL XP.