Derpinator2013

Not even going to rage. Just going to quit.

I made a decision about 3 weeks ago to stop pushing games on the nights when you just seem to get continually curb-stomped by the other team.  The game is fun but not when you go 1-20 for the night.  

I'll play 5-10 games - if my win% is above 50%, I'll keep playing.  As soon as my win% hits 50% for the night, I stop, log off and do something else for the night.   At worst, I break even for the evening.   

Combine that with a conscious effort to play smarter with less spuds and my personal stats are starting to inch up.

Thanks for all the advice and support guys. I've been taking advantage of some of the kind tankers from the forums who are helping me along. And I'm thinking about trying to join the new learning clan.

I'll try turning off xvm, but I really don't think it's the problem. I don't mind losing to a better team or a better player. I'm really mainly bitching about how often I face them and it's something over which I have zero control. I can make myself a better player (and plan to) but when I get handed absolutely psychotic matchmaking, game after game after game after game, I just can't take my stats as a reflection of my performance seriously any more. And that's the part that stings.

I'll try to clarify, because this may not make any sense.

If it was me vs. a unicum, 1 vs. 1, 200 games in a row, I'd win a few, but get stomped most of the time. No big deal at all. He's better. That's how it's supposed to be.

But the resulting stats wouldn't mean "I'm a bad tanker". It means "I'm a bad tanker compared to a unicum."

So how good am I compared to other average players?

I have no idea, and that's what bugs me about being on the "losing" side so often. I believe my skill, overall, is improving, but I keep getting suuuuuuuuch shitty matchmaking that I simply can't tell.

So... I'm just going to stop taking w/r and win7 quite as seriously as I have been. I really don't know what metric I can watch that will let me know if I'm really improving until I get to that greener grass on the other side of the fence.

Or maybe... I'm actually getting waaaaay worse without realizing it and I'm the one dragging my whole team's chances down.

I'm not sure how to test that either.

So yeah, I think that's what's bugging me. I feel like I'm getting better, but I don't really have a way to know because either I'm the albatross, or I keep getting them strapped to me and can't do anything about it.

/ends incoherent rambling

Looking at noobmeter, it seems you are grinding tanks.

Just chill and play the OP tanks like your T49. You'll feel better

Until you find AutismSpeaks running a Purple ELC platoon  :tongue:

As long as your 60 day stats are better than your overall stats you're heading in the right direction.

Play less and don't hesitate to do something else if you're not having fun putting in good games. Drop lines that you aren't good at or don't enjoy (no arty or lights for me).

Oh and don't feel you have to get the x2 for every tank every night. I've switched to playing each tank until it loses. Every night some of my tanks don't get their x2, but at least it means the worst I can do is have a total 10 losses (the number of tanks in my garage). Playing the other way round the best I could do was a total of 10 wins...

As long as your 60 day stats are better than your overall stats you're heading in the right direction.

Play less and don't hesitate to do something else if you're not having fun putting in good games. Drop lines that you aren't good at or don't enjoy (no arty or lights for me).

Oh and don't feel you have to get the x2 for every tank every night. I've switched to playing each tank until it loses. Every night some of my tanks don't get their x2, but at least it means the worst I can do is have a total 10 losses (the number of tanks in my garage). Playing the other way round the best I could do was a total of 10 wins...

+1 for the strategy.

And I don't even try to play them all. I have 23 in the garage at the moment. Given my awfulness, I'd have to play minimum 50 games a night to do that, so... nope. I don't mind playing 50 games if I'm doing ok, but I'm never going to force it just for xp bonuses.

I mostly just play the ones that are a) OP and/or fun b) in a line I'm working on c) premium and helping me train a crew d) matches my platoon mates desired tier.

And that last one is probably the one that's hurting me the most now that I think about it. I get the benefit of a platoon, but I play tanks that are higher tier than I'm good at.

Hrm. 5 game maximum per session. No more very few 7's and 8's... I'm going to be a lousy platoon mate for a while...

Definitely uninstall xvm. I did that a long time ago, and at least this way, I'm not depressed before or during the battle. The worst is going into a battle, knowing you're probably going to lose, watching your team get raped, and then being even more depressed because you really did try. So stop using xvm. Alot of people use it to know who to shoot first, but who cares. Playing without stats, without last known position, without knowing where every tank is looking, it's more challenging, but it's more fun.

And just play OP tanks. And platoon with people sometimes. Someone said you have a T49, so if you ever want to add me and run it, I'll platoon with you. There will always be frustrating nights, weeks, months maybe, but at the end of the day, are you trying to win, or understand the game better? They don't always come together.

I guess Im not really qualified to pipe in...but Ill share my strategies(?) to maintain my Zen.

1) I started focusing on causing Dmg rather than wins/kills. Seems that the nights I get my wins...my Dmg sucks and vice versa. Frustrating, but it is what it is. I pick my shots, shoot slower and try to make every shot count.
2) I stopped chasing Loses on bad nights. 3 battles to catch a win is my rule, Then switch tanks/Line or tier.
 If on a winning streak, Ill play it till I lose.
3) I use XVM, but really only to track my Dmg in game and to get an idea of who I might be able to best support.

4) I play most every night, but again...if the above fails, I just stop. I dont have "10" game losing streaks, because I wont chase the loses. 

Man, all these people saying to uninstall XVM...I think that's a terrible idea. XVM gives me my draw distance box, my view range, the 445m view range, auto-detect range,and what direction I'm looking on my minimap. I'd panic if I didn't have that :(

Man, all these people saying to uninstall XVM...I think that's a terrible idea. XVM gives me my draw distance box, my view range, the 445m view range, auto-detect range,and what direction I'm looking on my minimap. I'd panic if I didn't have that :(

So don't uninstall it, just use the normal WOT .exe, rather than the stat one, and you will keep the tools, but lose the chance to win and the individual tanker stats.  

When I get frustrated, I might take a night off and watch youtube commentary instead.  Low pressure and fun, and by the next night, I am missing the game.  

Well like most of others said I suggest turning XVM off. For about 4000 battles i didn't care about stats and I was way happier than I am now. I was also worse tanker :) Maybe if you provide few replays - the community here can help with improving. On the other hand give the game a break and do something that is not frustrating you. It is also good strategy.

I think my only advice is that the better you get the more fun you will have. Sure it is annoying at times to lose a game where you did more damage than half of your team combined but it still feels a lot better than losing when you are one of those players who achieved nothing.

47% win ratio with 4.7k battles is not hopeless situation. Especially when your recent results are above that. But learning from that level takes time and at times it is really hard to see the improvement. Learning to play one map really well in one type of tank improves your matches and results only in maybe 1 out 100 games. There are still 99 other map/tank combos you haven't learned as well. But when you learn those big map tactics you also learn little things that are universal and apply to every map. You can't learn campinovka without learning to use bushes for camo and vision and you can't learn ensk without learning to watch minimap or how to fight in city environment.

To me it sounds that you are getting frustrated and impatient about the lack of improvement you perceive despite you feeling you are putting in the effort to become better. You feel that you can not carry games. People usually mean carrying games when they do loads of damage and kills and maybe even turn around the game. But most of the carrying happens just by consistently doing your part. Not being on the top but not being on the bottom. This already should put you on the 50+ side of win ratio.

I'd still focus on the basics. Learning how the maps work, learning where to shoot. How to use cover. How to stay in groups and what mistakes to not make. How to watch the map and see things going on. That's how I got from 48% to over 50% and 900wn to over 1000. Then build on top of that. It is slow but if you keep learning new useful things it is impossible to not improve. One of my own key problems was deciding on a tactic before the timer reached zero. Sometimes I rushed, sometimes I camped and I did those things because that was my tactic. It felt like a good idea to have a tactic even if it turned out to be really bad really soon.

Here is my progression from that point:

http://www.planetwot.com/playerStats/?name=tango_delta

Stopping the mad agressive and defensive play and staying in groups, using cover and learnign weakspots quickly raised my win ratio to 52%. But it still took months. There is no magical book that can make you unicum in a week. There is no pill to make you master a tank in a month. There is no guide that teaches you everything what makes a good player. But if you are willing to learn new things every time you don't know what to do there are tons of good guides to help you.

Ah the pressure that arrives on your shoulders when you realise you're crap, put in lots of effort to not be crap and you get no tangible reward for said effort.

The only advice I have is to focus on what you are doing well as well as the bad stuff. For myself, I can trot over to the NA server and realise that in tier four and five I am now capable of not just contributing to the team but delivering an arse raping of epic proportions to the opposing side all by myself.

I suck in high tier stuff, but I sucked in tier five four months ago so perhaps it will get better with practice.

Gibbon

People focus too much on WR. IMO it really should be WN > WR > SR (survival rate) in terms of priority and importance.

I go down peoples tank history sometimes and it always amazes me how I both outdamage them and outkill them in the same tank over hundreds of games by something stupid high like 25-50%, yet their WR for that tank is 5-10% higher. that's platoons. they get carried so again, wr alone means little. if you focus on that entirely, you will fail, you will get frustrated and you will not improve.  

I can not give you advice on how to play better because I'm not a good player. I'm still trying to learn the basics about the game mechanics. Recently, I was in your situation and I stopped enjoying driving tanks. I was on the verge of deleting the game. This is what led me back to enjoy driving tanks:

• I sold the E-50 as I realized that I'm not good enough to play in the high tiers. Also, the tank was driving me mad. I'm not sorry and I will not buy it again.
  • I bought a Stug III and trying to learn the vision mechanics. I've always liked this tank, and now I play it much better.
  • I stopped exploring new tanks. The only non-elite tank that I have is Tiger II, and it is very good. On it I'm trying to learn how to deal with the enemy in different situations (position, exchange of fire, HP trade ...).
  • I'm planing to re-buy JgPanther and IS-3 (tanks that I was terrible on) and learn to play them. IS-3 maybe can train me how to play my IS-7.

Tanks mentioned are not my recommendation. You have to find tanks for yourself.

This, just turn off the win % prediction and the stats stuff.  ABUSE the living crap out of that draw and sight distance. 

So don't uninstall it, just use the normal WOT .exe, rather than the stat one, and you will keep the tools, but lose the chance to win and the individual tanker stats.  

When I get frustrated, I might take a night off and watch youtube commentary instead.  Low pressure and fun, and by the next night, I am missing the game.  

This is great advice right here, especially the second part. When I have a really rough night I like to just sit back and watch some videos and streams. It gets me re-calibrated and stops me from making really stupid plays and decisions. It also gets me in a good mood and more willing to just accept the bad losses the inevitably come my way, and to be happier about the wins which I made a big contribution to. 

My wife has been using my desktop and my laptop sucks for playing, so  I've been watching Anfield and Quickbaby's twitch channels.  Hopefully, some of what I'm seeing is sinking in.

I actually start most nights by watching a few replays or a bit of Anfield/QB/EJ. Gets me in the mood to kick some ass!

And MOST nights. I'm 60+% for my first 10 games. Like... I can only remember two nights recently where I was below 50% by the 10 game mark. The night that spawned this post and one about a week ago that also led to rage and self-pit. And both of those nights ended in the low 40's. Just couldn't save them.

But most nights start really well.

Then 7pm happens and... well, you see the results, lol.

I'll run without the stats stuff for the weekend. We'll see how that works out.

Like TNTGibbon, I also hit some walls. When I was around your number of games played, I was doing decent in tier 5-6 games, often being able to carry my teams, but I'd play tier8 and feel like I wasn't contributing. With experience, I got better at their 8, and then it was tierX games where I felt pretty useless. Even now, I can play tier9-X ok, but I don't feel like can carry at battle tiers X and up.

There definitely points where  you aquire knowledge and then struggle to apply it, and it feels like you are going backwards. For example, you can certainly see people going to certain map locations and excelling, but when you try it, it all goes wrong until you can put together the 'where to go' with 'how to get there' and 'when to go there' and 'what to do there'. Then at some point it all comes together and works for you.

Install the test client and derp away without worrying about ruining your stats.  Now that's therapy!  Plus you get to play a bunch of different things you don't normally.

Install the test client and derp away without worrying about ruining your stats.  Now that's therapy!  Plus you get to play a bunch of different things you don't normally.

I actually did (and do) this, but none of my sight/map/garage mods work so it's a REALLY foreign environment for me. Also, a lot of non-English speakers so team communication is even worse than on the production servers. It's hard to really evaluate my performance there, but it's highly therapeutic. :D