Diriz0n

British light tanks are vomit.

On 7/28/2019 at 5:35 PM, Sleepy_Moon said:

They may remain a pointless line, think China TD. Sad, because they're cute. Standard HESH would be meme. 

The problem is....chinese TD line although lackluster and pointless, aren't useless as squat. They don't have severe ammo shortages. They aren't gimped as TD unfairly. They were not promised high damage, then given the same generic damages instead. For all instensive comparable purposes, Chiinese TD are a mix between obj 268 and TE3. Slower but more armour than 268,  faster but less armour than TE3. An annoying mix in-between, but horribly put off by no gun depression and weird shell velocity   (like old 268,  lol)  But other than that, alpha are normal, DPM normal, HP normal, ammo capacity normal, Etc.  They are just lackluster, especially consider prem WZ tier 8 TD

The problem with the Brit LT, are they are horrible. They just plainly excruciatingly suck. They aren't lackluster, they are woefully inadequate and completely poor performers. Worse yet, WG false advertised them into very capable high camo scouts with great alpha. When their camo ins't anything special considering their modest view range, and their alpha is actually the same. All they have are penetration, and the penetration for some reason drops off with premium ammo with the tiers nine/ten.  

Yeah Chinese TDs might not be anything interesting to play but they're not the easiest of tanks to deal with. I'd rather fight a 268.

The manticore is just laughable.

Ok, I just ground through the Setter and it felt pretty shitty but lets look at the actual numbers.  Here is my average combined damage/assistance stats with tier 7 lights.  Of course some of this is messed up due to some of these tanks being played before the great light tank rebalancing.  

T71 CMCD - 1863

LTG - 1641

T71 DA - 1559

Setter - 1419

WZ-131 - 1397

AMX 13 75 - 1273

My AMX 13 75 stats are lower because I haven't played that tank in years and am much better now than I was then.  And while my WZ-131 stats are a bit lower than the Setter, I'd still rather play it as it just drives better and feels more capable.  So I'd still say this is the worst tier 7 scout.  

it is hard to use recents.

taugrim of truvoodoo can probably do better in a light tank now, with all their experiences they have learned and because crews can be purchased now instead of trained out. VS eons ago, where crews needed to be trained or invested in, and light tanks were very different

But placing these people in a light tank now, any tech tree - they'd probably do best in others, not the British ones

Yeah, true.  Plus I only played 36 total games in the Setter and I got mostly open maps with better than average teams overall.  I'm sure that the numbers would go down if I played 100 games in it.

On 7/12/2019 at 12:04 AM, Dirizon said:

Absolutely retarded naming convention. Since when do british use an ultra metric 85mm gun naming convention. Wth?  Chieftain probably laughing how retarded that is lt is a 20 pdr. And.....give the senlac 83mm 20 pdr but without the 20 pdr stats, instead using tier 4  25 pdr stats  (an 87mm)  then proceed with giving the TV tank actual 20 pdr stats with an 83mm, but call it an 85mm.

This actually isn't very far fetched at all, and even so much as probable. The gun itself is 83.4mm like the 20 pounder, but following the pattern of the 20 pounder, it would have been considering an 84mm. In reality the cartridge itself is likely different than that of the 20 pounder in ways that make them not interchangeable (shorter but fatter for instance).

The 77mm was a 76.2mm gun that was named differently so as to streamline logistics so there was no confusion between the 17 pounder and 77mm (and the American 76mm M1 for that matter). 

Bonus; the British used the 3-inch gun M1918, the QF 3-inch 20 cwt, the 76 mm gun M1, the 17 pounder and the 77mm all of which were the same calibre. 

Somehow I expected WG to be rational and add in FV 101 (90mm) as the tier 8 LT. Instead we have the "not FV 101" in tier 7 mocking us.

Look at FV 101 (90) below. How can you say no to that? It looks so nice. You can also tell how much inspiration the Setter draws from FV 101.

15069549726_2bcdf1072f_b.jpg

On 9/9/2019 at 10:53 AM, Oicraftian said:

You can also tell how much inspiration the Setter draws from FV 101.

I don't disagree that the scorpion should have been in, but one thing worth pointing out about the Setter, was it (along with the AVR project), were part of the AVR program which was the precursor to the CVR(T) program.

3 hours ago, Ogopogo said:

I don't disagree that the scorpion should have been in, but one thing worth pointing out about the Setter, was it (along with the AVR project), were part of the AVR program which was the precursor to the CVR(T) program.

the one time I don't do my history homework I get shot in the foot huh.

1 hour ago, Oicraftian said:

the one time I don't do my history homework I get shot in the foot huh.

The AVR is really obscure in commonly available tank research (actually that goes for most British Prototype/paper designs), specifically about what vehicles were actually designed as opposed to just listing the projects goal. 

Right, I'll resurrect this thread to rely important information. If you are like me who has fuck all to grind and is stuck with British LTs then know this: tier9 GSOR or whatever fuck it is called is like a tower on wheels. I don't know if they simulate the center of gravity or it is just a "hahah" type of slider in the dev environment, but GSOR tips over SO FUCKING EASILY it is beyond retarded. I managed to tip over 3 times during one 2h play session. Do not rub against walls, do not drive over small bumps, do not hug anyone. The tank is very narrow and while it is not very high, it feels like a city cruiser from the 80s - you turn, the world turns with you like on a cruise ship. I have never had this problem with any other tank. Unsurprisingly the runner up in this category is the tier8 shitbucket in the British LT line.

Also worth mentioning is that every time I tipped over some gentle soul came to my rescue so I am grateful to all the players who assist muppet drivers like myself. I salute you sirs.

FV433 Abbot should be a tier 7 light tank premium,  with derper 105 howitzer, so it works just like the old VK2801. Everyone would buy it for the  lols

0000000000000 -H

Edited by Haswell

Something funny I just realized about the tier 7 light tank: it has a terrible radio range at 600m.

Well, six-hundred isn't too bad. Plenty of soviet tanks are stuck with radios like four-to-five hundred(m)

The tier 8 is the highlight of the line. Not good by any stretch, but the best of them

26 minutes ago, Diriz0n said:

Well, six-hundred isn't too bad. Plenty of soviet tanks are stuck with radios like four-to-five hundred(m)

For a tier 7 light tank, its the lowest by a mile. If you discount the type 62 which has 25m on it, the next lowest light tank is 745m. 600m is enough for a light tank where it may be a concern in some cases.

It's so curious to me how this line ended up balanced in the way it did. The entire line literally feels like you're playing them stock. Tier 3 DPM, bad gun handling, mediocre view range. I don't get the niche either - a support light that takes several minutes of constant firing to do any meaningful damage? A dedicated passive scout without the top speed to reach the spots or the view range to use them? By far the least thought-out line added since the game was released.

2 hours ago, Rexxie said:

It's so curious to me how this line ended up balanced in the way it did. The entire line literally feels like you're playing them stock. Tier 3 DPM, bad gun handling, mediocre view range. I don't get the niche either - a support light that takes several minutes of constant firing to do any meaningful damage? A dedicated passive scout without the top speed to reach the spots or the view range to use them? By far the least thought-out line added since the game was released.

Its a light tank line, so its instantly cucked.

Its British, which cucks it further.

It never really stood a chance.

I find they actually have a rather good balance of view range, camo and mobility. They make for great passive scouts, if you gear them for it, but of course a number of things fucks with that potential. Chief issue being wheelies there.

Otherwise, I get some really hard old (autoloading) 59-16 vibes from them, minus the assassination-ability. Once it clicked, I actually came around to love them, despite their combatitive short-comings. (And before someone goes and checks my stats: I need to get back to LHMTV and Setter and salvage the winrate there at some point or play in any notable capacity in the first place. Grinded through them before things clicked into place, late during LHMTV-research.)

I think what makes them "feel good" is exactly the lack of combative you mentioned. When you practically have no gun, you don't feel compelled to play in a way that uses it and can focus entirely on passive spotting. I think if you played most of the french or german lights in the same way, you'd find the same thing. They just have such good guns that it's too easy to greed on one shot or flank too many.

On 8/16/2020 at 4:36 AM, Rexxie said:

I think what makes them "feel good" is exactly the lack of combative you mentioned. When you practically have no gun, you don't feel compelled to play in a way that uses it and can focus entirely on passive spotting. I think if you played most of the french or german lights in the same way, you'd find the same thing. They just have such good guns that it's too easy to greed on one shot or flank too many.

Rexxie, check this out...

The GSOR with CVS/Optics/Turbo actually is fun! Sure, it has practically no gun (which makes the 4k dmg in this game all the more insane), but with better HP/T than the EBR it accelerates like a racecar and feels like a variant EBR...

On 8/24/2020 at 8:43 PM, sr360 said:

The GSOR with CVS/Optics/Turbo actually is fun! Sure, it has practically no gun (which makes the 4k dmg in this game all the more insane), but with better HP/T than the EBR it accelerates like a racecar and feels like a variant EBR...

The GSOR is easily the best of the line in my opinion, or at least it felt most consistent playing it.

The setter is just trash in its current form. The manticore is fun-ish in a loose sense because of its camo, but the extremes of its gun, tier 10 lights mostly being tier 9.5 vehicles, means it can be a bit of a struggle. The tier 10 environment just in general suffers from the extremes which goes on in it. The LHMTV is decent, but the low dpm, stupid gun elevation arc (4.4 over the left and rear of the vehicle) and low-for-lights traverse speed results in a vehicle which can be selectively aggravating. 

All need need dpm buffs and other things depending on the tank, but the GSOR by comparison is really quite good. 200dpm, buffing the gun stats to 0.12 on tank traverse or movement, and say 40 shells is all it needs to make it a really good tank.

I'd prefer higher alpha over higher DPM as a buff (obviously higher alpha will increase the DPM as a side-effect d'uh, but you know what I mean).

On 8/25/2020 at 7:43 AM, sr360 said:

that pun sapped my will to live...

skill4tu has an opinion: