Kymrel

Steel Hunter - Yet another game mode

hide more? or platoon and carry like a champ?
speed Raven (either) or any of the mid-game autos are dangerous in a platoon. Harby radio spam is fun and useful early/mid game as well. 

Also keep in mind that side armor in this mode is absolutely ridiculous. The lower pen tanks (like the varyag) basically have to give up using the high alpha rounds against anything that has run armor, even if they flank it.

Interested in how much meta level interest there is in this. On sea it was a pretty easy grind to complete. I suspect the mode on the whole offers something new enough to actually get people interested beyond just clicking battle and camping. gg to wg i guess.

1 hour ago, Ezz said:

Interested in how much meta level interest there is in this. On sea it was a pretty easy grind to complete. I suspect the mode on the whole offers something new enough to actually get people interested beyond just clicking battle and camping. gg to wg i guess.

the Char Future offers something new enough to get me interested :minidoge:

2 hours ago, Wanderjar said:

hide more? or platoon and carry like a champ?
speed Raven (either) or any of the mid-game autos are dangerous in a platoon. Harby radio spam is fun and useful early/mid game as well. 

I am currently going with the French thing, and the two problems I've had is (1) just being locked in mid-early game where you have people in all directions and you cannot fight your way out because you are basically a light with light pen - I guess that's just bad luck and not avoidable, (2) is endgame as even with the autoloader and the MG thing, you actually only barely have enough alpha to finish people off if you pen all your shots, and with the  weird perks it's even more of a dice roll. 

I have to say that personally I loathe this game-mode. To me it seems completely retarded when the best way to consistently do well in the mode is to simply run away from everything for as long as possible. Seriously, unless you get the drop on a wounded opponent or can pick off other guys already fighting each other, the best move is to simply not take any fights until you are at least Level 4, ideally Level 5. This is acerbated by the absolute bullshit armour profiles of most of the tanks where you get really weird random bounces on sides and rears with the low-penetration rounds, plus the vision mechanic where tanks are invisible unless you are looking at them, meaning that it is very hard to get away from someone who gets on your rear or engage more than one opponent if you get focus-fired.

If I didn't need the tokens to get at least one reward tank, I wouldn't even be playing it.

5 hours ago, Balthazars said:

I have to say that personally I loathe this game-mode. To me it seems completely retarded when the best way to consistently do well in the mode is to simply run away from everything for as long as possible. Seriously, unless you get the drop on a wounded opponent or can pick off other guys already fighting each other, the best move is to simply not take any fights until you are at least Level 4, ideally Level 5. This is acerbated by the absolute bullshit armour profiles of most of the tanks where you get really weird random bounces on sides and rears with the low-penetration rounds, plus the vision mechanic where tanks are invisible unless you are looking at them, meaning that it is very hard to get away from someone who gets on your rear or engage more than one opponent if you get focus-fired.

If I didn't need the tokens to get at least one reward tank, I wouldn't even be playing it.

Keep in mind you don't actually need to win to progress. There are daily missions for 3000 cumulative damage over any number of games (for 200 points) x 5 and 1 kill (for 100 points) x1. That's 1100 points per day. 4500 points for tier 15. 4 days of missions plus if you get a top 6 finish gets you to rank 15. I just launch in, fight for damage, if I win the fight I rank up and progress, if I die I move on. All I need is 1 kill and 15k dmg per day, no wins necessary...

This mode is hot garbage. Pen and armor mechanics are pants-on-head. The HEAT is basically useless and bounces on everything. The balance between tanks makes no sense, the American tank seems to shit on everything else. Winning is as much luck as anything. Getting lucky and nailing some boxes early so you can drive over lower tier tanks, getting lucky to not get ganged up on, getting lucky to run into two players fighting, getting good drops. The optimal strategy just seems to be to run away as long as you can. I've seen sub 45%ers come out #1.

So basically, it's a battle royale game.

On 8/21/2020 at 8:49 AM, sr360 said:

Keep in mind you don't actually need to win to progress. There are daily missions for 3000 cumulative damage over any number of games (for 200 points) x 5 and 1 kill (for 100 points) x1. That's 1100 points per day. 4500 points for tier 15. 4 days of missions plus if you get a top 6 finish gets you to rank 15. I just launch in, fight for damage, if I win the fight I rank up and progress, if I die I move on. All I need is 1 kill and 15k dmg per day, no wins necessary...

Looks like they nerfed the missions for this go-around. Instead of 1100 points per day, you only get a max of 600 points per day so you actually need some good placement to finish the mode as missions alone give you only 4200 points.

Still feels considerably more enjoyable than FL imo. And seriously, if people are not once making a top 5 i'm not sure how they could expect to get max rewards.

1 hour ago, Ezz said:

Still feels considerably more enjoyable than FL imo. And seriously, if people are not once making a top 5 i'm not sure how they could expect to get max rewards.

the problem with frontline is that it goes on forever 

the problem with SH is you don't actually fight anything 90% of the time and 10% of the time it's just a dice roll as to who gets fewer bullshit bounces

The biggest issue with fronties is how similar every battle plays out. Basically cap blobs a go go. While at least in shunter there seems to be a lot more variety in what happens. Sometimes you get ganked early, but unlike a clear faceroll team in fronties, you're done and out of there and into the next one.

As to engagements i tend not to engage unless i know i'm going to win with the higher pen ammo lower alpha gun on whichever tank, so pen is less of an issue for me i guess. My standard engagement is having heat loaded with apcr as ready shell. If french thing encountered, select heat as next shell. If not, continue on with apcr. If going to lose, then run like a muddafker.

I am frustrated with the amount of randomness in this mode. Much more depends on your spawn relative to the opponents, and on spawn of the drops relative to you and, the most frustrating, the bullshit bounces. Armor pen indicator is useless and more often than not counter-productive, as it will lead you to believe that you will pen when you will not, and the game doesn't offer possibility to see the armor layout of different tanks to see the actual weakspots, specially when facehugging opponent. 

Apart from cupolas, some tanks have some hatches that can be penned with higher alpha ammo (German one has something resembling driver's hatch on it's right side, when you look at it from the front). 

Woah, gamemodels3d actually has all the tanks with their armor models AND entire upgrade trees!

(inb4 one tank has stupidly better soft stats than all the others)

Ya'll are on your own, I only need one more point thingy to get my AE Phase I.

2 hours ago, InconnuGlitterBoy said:

The mode is a bad joke.

It only shows how incompetent WG is. No balance and no effort / reward ratio.

I can't believe that people actually have some pros over Frontline for this mode.

Yeah, i sorta like frontline (not all the time, but due to seasons, its fine)

I dont like this SH shit, im not even bothering with it (dont care how op the t9 rewards are, that SH is so shit, fuck it..)

10 hours ago, GehakteMolen said:

Yeah, i sorta like frontline (not all the time, but due to seasons, its fine)

I dont like this SH shit, im not even bothering with it (dont care how op the t9 rewards are, that SH is so shit, fuck it..)

I like Frontline too. You can be on the losing side and still make a tons of credits, crew and tank experience. You can grind stock tanks with it, without screwing your stats (if you care). You can use tanks that in the random battles would actually need a full premium ammo spam.

If it would be available, I'd play mostly Brawls and Frontline.

Ugh, I just need one more level to get one more of the tokens to get my tier 9 reward tank (going for the Char, that looks interesting and I don't have any fun/good tier 9 French tanks) and then I can ignore this crappy game-mode.

I echo all the comments about how luck plays so much into it, especially early on where spawn can have such a huge impact. For example, one game for me: French light tank. Spawn. Pick a direction and drive forward. Literally inside 15 seconds 6th goes off, I am spotted. I can see nothing which means he is behind me. He gets the first shot for free, which basically means he wins the duel unless he gets unlucky with RNG or screws up. But due to the crappy vision mechanic, I get unlucky in which way I chose to rotate to try and lock onto him, which means he gets a second shot before I can fire my first. Dead inside 2 minutes and there was literally nothing I could have done because he got lucky in the direction he went in and got the drop on me.

While monotonous as all heck, at least FL gives you genuine rewards, i.e. being a near-unparalleled credit grinding option with premium tanks, and at least climbing ranks is mostly down to your own skill as opposed to luck.

This game-mode does have potential, but for me personally it would require major re-works to be fun - currently I rage (way) more in this game-mode than I do in randoms!

• Remove HEAT and replace it with AP. I don't know if HEAT in Steel Hunter acts like HEAT everywhere else, but if it does then that's why everything about it feels like shit.
  • There should be less health recovery and XP from corpse looting. Damage dealt should give you a higher proportion of your XP. Third personing a duel is strong enough without giving the third person absurd XP too.
  • Credit gains need to be tripled. You should be making ~50k a match within the top 5, not 5k.

• The Raven should have less frontal armor at all tiers, and the top tier autoloader's interclip is way too short. 
  • The Varyag needs stronger frontal armor or higher pen at early levels. It's horrible early on.
  • The Arlequin needs higher pen and engine power at all levels. Its horrible at all stages and would be tragic with nerfed corpse looting.
  • All double-barreled weapons need to be buffed.

27 minutes ago, Rexxie said:
  • Remove HEAT and replace it with AP. I don't know if HEAT in Steel Hunter acts like HEAT everywhere else, but if it does then that's why everything about it feels like shit.

I'm pretty sure it does, and that it's one of the reasons for the high number of ridiculous bounces, because there is spaced armour all over all of the models, on the front and sides especially.

Not sure about less health recovery from corpse looting, given that without it winning a fight if pretty meaningless as you'd be easy pickings for whoever you came across next, but less XP from the corpse I agree with as it would nerf vultures significantly.

Also yes to improved rewards. Apart from tokens and maybe bonds, there is just no reason to play this game-mode. As I noted, at least with FL people jump in because of the credit and XP gains.

Echoing the credit issue. Given you can cop a negative 10k if you get ganked early, a top 5 should definitely net more than 6k. Tho maybe wg were afraid that if people could earn credits in the mode that it would be enjoyed too much........

Also, my goodness that countdown seems stupidly long. Do the potatoes really need that long to load?

I've rank 1-15'd a few times over now, it's not too bad. My only real complaint is the first 2 minutes is mostly RNG. You NEED to spring off an early kill if you want to reliably win games, but there's no way to guarantee a 1v1 wont turn into a 1v1v1 that early on. It's literally just a roll of the dice based on player spawns. After that, things calm down and it can be pretty relaxing. The map is just a little too small, in my opinion. If it was a square larger on all sides and shrank down within the first minute or two, things would be fine.

Most stuff is pretty obvious, but my #1 earlygame tip is how stupid important it is not to fight Walkures. They take a very long time to kill and get their engine as their first upgrade, which means you both cant disengage and will get eaten by a vulture long before you manage to kill it.

This is the first round of steel hunter I've played, and I've gotta say this is singularly painful. Easily the most painful experience I've had in my WoT career, including early on with 50% crews. I don't know how anyone can enjoy this, I was going to go for a reward tank but I don't think those are worth this pain.

Another round of changes. This time buffing the double shot on the french and russian tanks. Both seem extremely strong. The Russian one in particular is a no-brainer, there's no situation you'd want to use the higher alpha option.

Kind of points to a problem with the double barrel mechanic as a whole, if you ask me. The double fire is such a meme that the only way to make them viable is to have them just be fine single shot weapons. The double shot doesnt add any real value to the gun.