woe2you

The Idiot's Guide to Frontlines

I posted this on the official forums in the hope of reaching as many pubbies as possible, and robo suggested on Discord that I cross-post it here. Not expecting it to be news to longstanding Labbers, but if it helps someone...

Episode 7 is upon us, and yet again we're plagued with people who seem to want to play Frontlines in the most self-defeating way possible and ruin the mode for everyone else, so here's the Idiot's Guide to Frontlines.

Let's establish the victory conditions, and it's not what you'd expect: picking up a win or a loss is barely relevant. You'll still be making credits hand over fist either way. What you want whether you're attacking or defending is for all bases to be captured during the course of the game and to run the clock out blowing up each other's tanks. That means that everyone has the most possible time to farm rank, and you want to farm rank because one game at General is worth more than 2 games at Captain, 3 games at Lieutenant or 8 games at Sergeant (and that's just in terms of Frontline progress, you also get the Battle XP multiplier too).

If you're attacking, stop trying to take out the objectives. All that achieves is ending the game early and denies you and everyone else on both teams rank and Frontlines XP. Focus on capping all 6 bases then use the time you've built up to kill enemy tanks.

If you're defending and the clock is running out, allow the other team to cap and prolong the game. You don't want too much time on the clock because uninformed players will rush to hit the objectives instead of capping bases, but conversely you don't want it to come down to the wire and the attackers be prevented from capping and adding time to the clock.

Finally, the best way to gain rank is capping/defending. This makes every game as a defender a balancing act, because you want to be doing the majority of your damage in and around the cap circles, but not when the clock is low because that might lead to an early win/loss.

It's unfortunate that any of this needs to be said, but it's a consequence of Frontlines being a fundamentally broken game mode where the incentives don't align with the victory conditions.

Ive found that gaining rank as a defender is much harder than as an attacker. Its really annoying. Not to mention that I dislike playing as a defender because sort of you can only really lose, you have to hold or fall back, you cant really push or push advantages etc. So farming damage is also more limited until you get to the objectives.

7 hours ago, Assassin7 said:

Ive found that gaining rank as a defender is much harder than as an attacker. Its really annoying. Not to mention that I dislike playing as a defender because sort of you can only really lose, you have to hold or fall back, you cant really push or push advantages etc. So farming damage is also more limited until you get to the objectives.

Pepega rushing with EBR 75 to block cap and kill cappers is effective and could potentially gain you rank much easier, that said you're probably going to die.

2 minutes ago, Strigonx said:

Pepega rushing with EBR 75 to block cap and kill cappers is effective and could potentially gain you rank much easier, that said you're probably going to die.

dont have an EBR, or any other T8 lights actually

14 minutes ago, Strigonx said:

You're fucked then :novadoge:

I play Type 59 mainly, with some defender/50 100/4202 thrown in. or arty if I feel like being a cunt (also its the only T8 im actually grinding)

4 minutes ago, sohojacques said:

@Assassin7 grinding arty in 2019. What kind of arsehole are you?*

*if you say it’s for missions....

.... it is legitimately for missions lmao. only reason. I need to finish the T55A arty missions and I can get the 260

7 hours ago, sohojacques said:

@Assassin7 grinding arty in 2019. What kind of arsehole are you?*

*if you say it’s for missions....

fucking feelsbad you can't even TK arty by blocking their barrels anymore fuck this game so much seriously

The change lane immediately to flood a zone meta and over-defend "C" meta is crippling and frustrating.

Small sample size but out of 5 games for me this episode; three were over with 8-10 minutes left on the clock, with not a general in sight.   

Yeah, it's a whole thing now it seems, even more than before. You get 15ish light tanks and quick meds rushing defenders around  the cap, and then capping. And then the morons go for the objectives.

On 8/22/2019 at 12:06 AM, Assassin7 said:

FV207 or Lorr 51 on defence is almost guaranteed General. Post up between two fronts and focus on getting resets on both, and as long as it's not a 10mins left failwin via the third front you should be golden.