Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hello all, 

I'm looking for a little bit of general advice when it comes to three marking. I know how it works, do more damage (and spotting/tracking) than  than 95% of the players in a specific tank within the last 14 days, but I really don't know how to go about doing it while keeping some semblance of sanity. I did it once with the Charioteer and it was between 2-3k damage to stay at a % and about 3.5k+ to get the number to go up. Now I am trying to 3 mark the E50 and I am finding that I struggle to play constantly. Some games are 4-5K damage no problem, some games I go full potato and die first, and sometimes I just end up ramming the first tank I find.  Are there general strategies for 3 marking? Is it just deal damage and stop being a potato? Any suggestions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the other thing that you didn't mention regarding the 3 marking battles is that it's your last 100 battles - you only have to be consistently good for 100 battles.  This also means that you'll occasionally get wild swings if, for example, a shit 0-damage battle where you potato and die first drops off the end and gets replaced by your 6k damage 2k spotting kolobanov+radleys game or whatever.

I had the same problem as you the first time I tried 3-marking the derp T49, got to about 93% and then just potatoed hard three games in a row and dropped to about 87, gave up on it.  When I finally went for it again (after noticing that I was back to about 90% without really trying for it), I would literally just do one battle a day for the longest time - I'd log in, do a T49 battle, and then go do my other grinds.  That way, I'm solely affected by RNG and my own skill, as opposed to say, being tilted by being nuked by arty last battle.  Eventually my potato games dropped off the end and I was consistently doing 3-4k+ combined per game with some really lucky map RNG since blocking maps wasn't a thing back then.  Given that your issue is consistency within a session, maybe give the once-a-day thing a try once you go above 90% on the marks?

Finally, assist damage is apparently vastly underrated for 3-marking (and do note that it only takes the higher of spotting or tracking, you don't get both) - I've had 0 damage games with a full percent progress due to the amount of spotting received.  I'll also note that during my original 3-mark grind, I wasn't running optics (or a 5-skill crew or food), but once I swapped out GLD for optics for the extra view range and started running cola every match is when my mark %age started going up again due to the extra assist damage.  For an E50 you might be better off going for tracking shots than spotting - i've never played the thing, idk how blind it is or isn't, but it doesn't seem like the kind of tank you can go and get spots with in the current year.

also obviously just run food, buy 200 crew books, and spam gold for ez frags from noobs :kappa:

tl;dr:

  • always go for damage+tracking shots if possible, but don't be afraid to just 0-damage track something if it's the best you can do since you'll still get more mark progress than just holding fire waiting for a damaging shot
  • don't play on tilt - if you potato in one game don't dig yourself deeper trying to gain that % back.  If one battle a day is all your sanity can take, do one battle a day.
  • Block shit maps lmao Abbey and Paris fucked my mark percentage so many times

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

its consistency that matters, u rly notice it when u try the hard stuff like chieftain because you simply cannot have bad games if you want to climb upwards then so you force yourself to consistently get these games for a long enough period to climb the mark high enough, in reward tanks this climb can take like hundred games of 6k+ games just because of how slow the progression is, and because of how far you drop off of a single bad game you eliminate as many of them as possible as they are the bigger problem than not having many blowout games that really boost it on the other end of that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 little things ive learned when 3 marking that are super important

1:View Range

doesn't matter what tank, try you max ur VR as much as possible. this means both VR skills+food+ optics if viable.

2: Tracking Shots

Track everything if/when available, in fact make it a habit even when u aren't 3 marking

3: Composure 

Stay clam, getting angry will only make you play stupid. think things trough and make smart choices, dont always try to be aggressive and force a good game. some games will require slower/campy game-play to get anything out of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the advice. Attitude is probably the most important part. The other stuff is smart advice, but being triggered just leads to bad plays. I I might ad that I never have enough credits for gold spam. I haven't found many premium tanks I can stand playing, so a million credits is a lot for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Kolni_GodofTanks said:

its consistency that matters, u rly notice it when u try the hard stuff like chieftain because you simply cannot have bad games if you want to climb upwards then so you force yourself to consistently get these games for a long enough period to climb the mark high enough, in reward tanks this climb can take like hundred games of 6k+ games just because of how slow the progression is, and because of how far you drop off of a single bad game you eliminate as many of them as possible as they are the bigger problem than not having many blowout games that really boost it on the other end of that.

Tell us the story of how you 3 marked the ISU-130 before it went on sale. :doge:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately the E50 is relatively popular so you can't do the "Play it once in a blue moon" method like i did with the WZ-120.

 

Played it once for the first time in forever and the marks jumped nearly 10% to 94.7%.

Expected values dropped to what I assume is/was 3k combined. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Haswell said:

Tell us the story of how you 3 marked the ISU-130 before it went on sale. :doge:

enough 3k+ games in a row mixed with some higher dmg games to eventually boost it up to keep the mark above 90 and then a killer streak of 4-5 games at 5k+ back to back from 92-95 ~200 games of grinding total but since it was done in one session (kewei style woho) it'll just be easier for me to tell you to imagine the scars instead of me describing them

 

started at 88 and never actually dropped below that, but the climb from 88 to 90 took almost as long as 90-95 lol

i think i had one or two single games out of 200 that wasn't above 2k damage during the entire session which kinda emphasizes the point of consistency pretty much

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As others have said its consistency, you really have to avoid those low damage f*ck up games as much as possible (which is why I find it so hard as I tend to be quite aggressive and have the odd brain fart). 

You also have to be aware what assistance you are doing, if you start the game by tracking something for 1.4k, you probably want to try to track everything you meet or see, but of course if you spot everything then tracking that last tank is pretty pointless. Which can lead to some odd situations where you are like circling the last alive tank doing damage but don't want to track it. 

You also need to remember that a full damage shot is better than a kill. 

Recognising that a game is going to be lost and digging in to get the maximum possible is also a key skill to 3 marking. 

I would say doing one game a day or whatever is not the best approach as you really need to get into a zone with a tank and also in a 3 marking mindset. 

The biggest issue I actually have with 3 marking is those games where you win 15-1 and everyone does 1k damage, getting like 4k combined plus in a game like that is hard because you have to balance being aggressive with being reckless. 

Avoid tilt at all costs, if you have a few bad games where you drop a 1% or more, take a break, step back, play it later or another day because if you go chasing that % back you'll probably lose more. I remember I was on 94.7% on the E5, I went into a game where we won 15-0, I did about 2.5k damage, dropped like 0.3%, got annoyed, played on tilt and was 5 games later down at like 92%. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I learned, based on my limited time 3 marking stuff (I fucking hate doing it) was to track fucking everything. assisted damage counts to mark progress, if you track and damage shit, and teammates shoot them, that counts as progresss. I also went and tracked stuff where possible when I didnt have any shots that could do damage, and it resulted in some extra damage.

22 minutes ago, tajj7 said:

I remember I was on 94.7% on the E5, I went into a game where we won 15-0, I did about 2.5k damage, dropped like 0.3%, got annoyed, played on tile and was 5 games later down at like 92%. 

Bruh, will 3 marking my STB, I got it to 94.94% (unknown to me at the time because I was purposely not looking at it, platoon mate told me after) then the next game was doing great and then choked and got myself derped by a JPE, and then was down another 2% by the end of the session. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Assassin7 said:

What I learned, based on my limited time 3 marking stuff (I fucking hate doing it) was to track fucking everything. assisted damage counts to mark progress, if you track and damage shit, and teammates shoot them, that counts as progresss. I also went and tracked stuff where possible when I didnt have any shots that could do damage, and it resulted in some extra damage.

Bruh, will 3 marking my STB, I got it to 94.94% (unknown to me at the time because I was purposely not looking at it, platoon mate told me after) then the next game was doing great and then choked and got myself derped by a JPE, and then was down another 2% by the end of the session. 

Yeh its annoying, its almost better not knowing and just having it popup after the game.

I generally don't try to 3 mark stuff that often as I get very frustrated with it, I mean after that E5 failure I didn't play the tank again for about 3 moths out of disgust.  I generally just notice the odd tank is quite high and give it a go for a bit. Especially as I am not good enough to do tier 10 3 marks that easily, only one so far which is the E5 and a few others that are close that I am scared to try to push over the line. 9s and 8s have happened a bit more organically through normal play without me really needing to push too hard. But I couldn't be like this other people that have done like 50+ tanks I'd go mad I think. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Knowing when to quit is really important. I can't tell you the number of times I've had a bad game, gotten pissed off, and then tried to power through it only to make the mark drop even more. Play and then take a break, go do something that isn't world of tanks until your head is clear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

unless you are doing a LT or med, I would not say view range is that important.

 

Aiming and tracking  (learn to do both at same time)  are the single most beneficial pair. A whole bunch of pref tanks armed with 122mm beanbag guns, gain so much with tracking the target and dealing four hundred with it. Because assisted isn't tallied as combined, rather which of the two assisted was greater - don't get so over-hyped over spotting. Unless you are playing a light tank or situational meds / E25

Time required. You don't need to be like orzanel or Skill4ltu, and 3-mark vehicles in 85 games. Relax, play above avg, play consistent, over a span of three, four hundred and you will three mark it. I have seen the hellcats of many players in random skirm, they brag about a 3-mark Hellcat or cromwell, and their DPG is like eight hundred. Yet they have played 3K games for it. Likewise on the other end, one hundred games but dealing 1.2 or 1.3K won't 3-mark them, yet you are performing vastly better. Relax, play it out, and you will get it. And it won't take thousands of games it took others

Consistency. Tactics. If you are doing something like S1, you maybe forced to turn off Ensk/Himmels. Shooting twice and dealing eight hundred is terrible, but shooting 15 times and dealing 3K+ is awesome. Remove the Himmels and Ensk, likewise increases the chances of prokh, Redshire, and Malin. It is all about consistency, don't play enraged it only ends up badly. Also, if you are playing vehicles like Skorp G, SU-PM, charioteer  -  don't be afraid to be aggressive late game / clean up. Spending HP can make all the difference

Don't cap. Fight and die a warrior. Even if it means losing. Adding on 1K of assists and dmg end game, means infinitely more than even an invader medal and win from cap  -  ignore team chat. A win matters for WN8, not for Moe

Tank choices.  I know this one really does matter, but it matters enough for me to decide on tanks. IS7, WZ5A, T57 are a crap tonne whole hell of a lot harder to mark.....than an IS4, Type, Maus. Maus and Type may seem inflexible, predictable, and slow.....but just turn off prokh and malin....half your troubles are gone. Even campy, bushy maps like westfield, redshire, murovanka offer dedicated heavy flanks and some arty cover.  121, T62A, K91 are a tonne easier, than tanks like Patton, progetto, STB1

Ammunition. Doing somua, lorraine, or progetto? Why not all APCR. These tanks have the added bonus of being prem, even if you are going out and spending 65K on ammunition afterwards, you likely dealt lots and perhaps broke even, or lost only a little. Why not. Keep in mind, tanks like T57, Kran, Bat Chat may still need AP/APCR, because HEAT gets fucked over by tracks when shooting sides 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/25/2019 at 10:41 AM, Kolni_GodofTanks said:

enough 3k+ games in a row mixed with some higher dmg games to eventually boost it up to keep the mark above 90 and then a killer streak of 4-5 games at 5k+ back to back from 92-95 ~200 games of grinding total but since it was done in one session (kewei style woho) it'll just be easier for me to tell you to imagine the scars instead of me describing them

 

started at 88 and never actually dropped below that, but the climb from 88 to 90 took almost as long as 90-95 lol

i think i had one or two single games out of 200 that wasn't above 2k damage during the entire session which kinda emphasizes the point of consistency pretty much

How do you get constant 2k on a slow, unarmored td? Were you rather agressive?  Or was it pre 15-0 meta so steamrolls when you are not fast enough to catch damage didnt happen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/29/2019 at 8:50 AM, hazzgar said:

How do you get constant 2k on a slow, unarmored td? Were you rather agressive?  Or was it pre 15-0 meta so steamrolls when you are not fast enough to catch damage didnt happen

 

On 9/29/2019 at 8:53 AM, Haswell said:

Considering 2k damage can be racked up within 4-5 shots, it probably wasn't too difficult. :doge:

the tricky part was basically getting good at guessing where you'd both have a target to pen for 5 or so shots before relocating and also being in position on time to do it, because this thing is slow af with a wierd ass gun arc without being especially accurate and the aim time combined make for one insane dev joke xD

so it was a struggle, but keeping 2k was easy, keeping 3k was hard and i didn't make any real progress unless i had a great game to boost it up signficantly in a single game (basically 5k+ required) because a higher average was unsustainably hard for me. now i started replacing my bad games in a session with better games than good, which ramped up the progress fast enough to feel do-able. idk what i did really i just thought that im gonna play really well now and letting your teammates die is the easiest way to rack up damage in this tank so i gave up reload for timing more often than i didn't so it'd result in me farming the guy suiciding because he thinks the game is over most of the time (and always for free when it did), repositioning for another enemy-fuck-up  and then trading my HP for 2-3 more shots against the swarm (you get 2 shots of potential damage most of the time) and the rest of my gameplay was entirely around matchmaking because you'd slot pennable and unpennable tanks together and see where you're likely to shoot stuff that won't just laugh at your pen frontally along with getting  8-10 shots off per game that are good and on target while focusing on tanks it can reliably pen still took me 200 games as a tier 8 from 88% to 95, last time i was basically not having any bad games whatsoever was when i did the 907 mark post-HD for the first time, but that session took less than 30 games to do 85-95 without a single game being above 10k combined and one above 9. Just to put it into perspective a CW reward tier 10 was genuinely easier in almost every aspect until everything clicked every game in the ISU, then it was a walk in the park just like the 907 that was a terribly grindy challenge until you never autopiloted a single game and 0 micromanaging mistakes ever, afterwards it felt easy too because the last session really was, every game was easy from start to finish because you always knew what to do on almost any map and when you had to take a chance you kept winning the coinflip too, wasn't until you got both your best performances and your best circumstance aligned to keep that mark above par regardless of the game and keep having enough good games to boost it up to allow for mistakes or make real progress when a tier 8 premium TD mark drops a full 2% on 0 dmg above 89 and yes i found that out the hard way no i dont feel like going into it again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/1/2019 at 4:22 AM, Kolni_GodofTanks said:

 

the tricky part was basically getting good at guessing where you'd both have a target to pen for 5 or so shots before relocating and also being in position on time to do it, because this thing is slow af with a wierd ass gun arc without being especially accurate and the aim time combined make for one insane dev joke xD

so it was a struggle, but keeping 2k was easy, keeping 3k was hard and i didn't make any real progress unless i had a great game to boost it up signficantly in a single game (basically 5k+ required) because a higher average was unsustainably hard for me. now i started replacing my bad games in a session with better games than good, which ramped up the progress fast enough to feel do-able. idk what i did really i just thought that im gonna play really well now and letting your teammates die is the easiest way to rack up damage in this tank so i gave up reload for timing more often than i didn't so it'd result in me farming the guy suiciding because he thinks the game is over most of the time (and always for free when it did), repositioning for another enemy-fuck-up  and then trading my HP for 2-3 more shots against the swarm (you get 2 shots of potential damage most of the time) and the rest of my gameplay was entirely around matchmaking because you'd slot pennable and unpennable tanks together and see where you're likely to shoot stuff that won't just laugh at your pen frontally along with getting  8-10 shots off per game that are good and on target while focusing on tanks it can reliably pen still took me 200 games as a tier 8 from 88% to 95, last time i was basically not having any bad games whatsoever was when i did the 907 mark post-HD for the first time, but that session took less than 30 games to do 85-95 without a single game being above 10k combined and one above 9. Just to put it into perspective a CW reward tier 10 was genuinely easier in almost every aspect until everything clicked every game in the ISU, then it was a walk in the park just like the 907 that was a terribly grindy challenge until you never autopiloted a single game and 0 micromanaging mistakes ever, afterwards it felt easy too because the last session really was, every game was easy from start to finish because you always knew what to do on almost any map and when you had to take a chance you kept winning the coinflip too, wasn't until you got both your best performances and your best circumstance aligned to keep that mark above par regardless of the game and keep having enough good games to boost it up to allow for mistakes or make real progress when a tier 8 premium TD mark drops a full 2% on 0 dmg above 89 and yes i found that out the hard way no i dont feel like going into it again

So essentially it's a more defensive playstyle of looking for enemy mistakes and punishing them. 

What did you do on games when your team steamrolled the enemy? How did you catch up with them? Especially on city maps where everyone is in one big attack blob rushing for the enemy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...