Kymrel

What Rusky tank is good for module damage mission?

Since I found out I had only a handful of missions left for the Chimera I decided to try to finish them. One of the missions I need to do for the Union (Soviet/China vehicles) is to damage or destroy 5 internal modules or crew, and preferably destroy 3 vehicles in the process. With a tier 7+ tank. Too bad, or the KV-2 would have been the natural candidate.

I have most of the candidates, but wonder what tank to pick to maximize my chances. I've been trying the Obj 704 (remember when the BL10 was the terror of the battlefield?) since high caliber is probably more likely to damage stuff, but I really like faster turreted tanks, especially in the current meta, so that's not ideal.

I sort of think the SU152 could do it but I'd really want someone to confirm before buying the damn thing again and finding a decent crew.

I even gave the Obj 261 a few goes, but found I mostly just fucked up tracks. I really don't want to go tier 8 or 9 arty, since playing arty is horrid.

What tank would you guys pick for this mission?

I was in the same dilemma. I think a high caliber tank with full HE would do the trick. Was gonna try it with the 268 v4 but maybe the SU-152 would be a better bet.

I almost did the mission today in the 5a. High caliber gun with a quick reload lets you put a lot of shots down range to do more module/crew damage. IS7 might also work in that sense but the gun isn't good like the 5a. You could try the 430u and bring HE to sling into the back of tanks

The horse has bolted, but it would have been nice if WG stored details of the battle you completed a mission. As is i couldn't really tell you what tank i used for most of them, but i somewhat suspect it may have been the s51 (sorry it's arty) as relative to the 261 it's a big gun for its tier.

no need to do any special strats for this type of mission tbh, the least painful way you get through these rng-missions is by playing games as normal because 5 internal modules is something you will end up hitting eventually if you can get enough high damage games out to get lucky on rng along with the damage required to realistically crit that many times. i'd say every 5th hit is an internal module on average but i haven't played in a while so might be a bit off but i think it's a realistic ballpark

the fastest way is picking something either very high RoF or high caliber and preferably a useable HE round, my personal bet is high RoF because it's much easier to get reliable damage out on higher tiers but low caliber guns dont have good he rounds so i'd say high RoF gets better with skill level since you'll need like 25 shots+ penned to realistically be able to crit internally 5 times with smaller calibers

a skill that's pretty much gone lost in the past years is aiming at modules since the armour/gold relation in the game has become so easy to play with but it's one that makes the mission considerably easier if you have it mind constantly while trying to do it, it has the side benefit of being somewhat good for gameplay in general too (not a dealbreaker really, i made do without it this far)

for examples take a look at EJs gameplay, outdated but that guy wasn't just aiming center mass like most people still do. Whenever you fight something that has weak modules (62A ammorack, KV-5 radio operator, Tiger II engine (buffed now but still easy), pta ammorack and the list goes on), aim for these parts instead of center mass when you have time to aim and the mission gets a lot easier, make use of tracked targets to hit modules somewhat reliably

it does require that you learn where the modules are placed (this is something i legit have never done, just like i never bothered to look up weakspots lol) and you need to unlearn some reflexes while aiming at certain tanks. viewports are an exterior module so cupola shots do not benefit you whatsoever in service of the mission so you'll wanna aim elsewhere when you can

easiest way to trigger a lot module damage to a single tank is through fires, it's almost always a guaranteed 3 modules/crew if the fire is allowed to burn, this is the opposite approach of high caliber guns as RoF matters more when specifically trying to create fire damage, that's half the mission if you're able to do it

eagle eye helps with tracking the mission live, makes it easier to know when to go for broke on the mission and when to just play it out as normal to not waste time, deadeye obviously helps with module damage (doesn't work with he ammo though, basically useless for arty)

i'd also advise against doing it in tier 10s, tier 10s tend to have better crews on average so it's a higher chance of facing people with preventative maintenance and safe stowage and tier 8s and below tend to have easier layouts for module damage

i'd recommend the wz premium td if u have it, high enough damage potential to do the mission reliably and also decent caliber enough at tier 8 with a HE round that'll basically be a guaranteed crit if it hits on lower tier target

11 minutes ago, kolni said:

no need to do any special strats for this type of mission tbh, the least painful way you get through these rng-missions is by playing games as normal because 5 internal modules is something you will end up hitting eventually if you can get enough high damage games out to get lucky on rng along with the damage required to realistically crit that many times. i'd say every 5th hit is an internal module on average but i haven't played in a while so might be a bit off but i think it's a realistic ballpark

the fastest way is picking something either very high RoF or high caliber and preferably a useable HE round, my personal bet is high RoF because it's much easier to get reliable damage out on higher tiers but low caliber guns dont have good he rounds so i'd say high RoF gets better with skill level since you'll need like 25 shots+ penned to realistically be able to crit internally 5 times with smaller calibers

a skill that's pretty much gone lost in the past years is aiming at modules since the armour/gold relation in the game has become so easy to play with but it's one that makes the mission considerably easier if you have it mind constantly while trying to do it, it has the side benefit of being somewhat good for gameplay in general too (not a dealbreaker really, i made do without it this far)

for examples take a look at EJs gameplay, outdated but that guy wasn't just aiming center mass like most people still do. Whenever you fight something that has weak modules (62A ammorack, KV-5 radio operator, Tiger II engine (buffed now but still easy), pta ammorack and the list goes on), aim for these parts instead of center mass when you have time to aim and the mission gets a lot easier, make use of tracked targets to hit modules somewhat reliably

it does require that you learn where the modules are placed (this is something i legit have never done, just like i never bothered to look up weakspots lol) and you need to unlearn some reflexes while aiming at certain tanks. viewports are an exterior module so cupola shots do not benefit you whatsoever in service of the mission so you'll wanna aim elsewhere when you can

easiest way to trigger a lot module damage to a single tank is through fires, it's almost always a guaranteed 3 modules/crew if the fire is allowed to burn, this is the opposite approach of high caliber guns as RoF matters more when specifically trying to create fire damage, that's half the mission if you're able to do it

eagle eye helps with tracking the mission live, makes it easier to know when to go for broke on the mission and when to just play it out as normal to not waste time, deadeye obviously helps with module damage (doesn't work with he ammo though, basically useless for arty)

i'd also advise against doing it in tier 10s, tier 10s tend to have better crews on average so it's a higher chance of facing people with preventative maintenance and safe stowage and tier 8s and below tend to have easier layouts for module damage

i'd recommend the wz premium td if u have it, high enough damage potential to do the mission reliably and also decent caliber enough at tier 8 with a HE round that'll basically be a guaranteed crit if it hits on lower tier target

Kolni's wall oh text brings up a fair point. If you have a tank with a high RoF then you can try and get the mission done through sheer damage. Run the Deadeye perk if you want to optimize as it raises the base module damage for AP and APCR shells. (not HEAT) Please note that it is a perk and needs to be at 100% to get anything out of it. 

SU152 is the next best thing after KV2

When available, picking your target and shell-type could make all the difference. In a target rich environment, if you had tanks like RU251, AMX3O Proto, Leopard Proto  --  sure all are easy pens. But RU251 you can pen with HE, even with comparatively small caliber size. But the amount of crits really isn't that major, to try kinky strategies. Playing the game normally, having 15 pens, for example on an STA1 isn't even 4K damage, and I am sure doing that enough times you will get those crits with just AP. I would recommend tanks like Caern (either one)  STA1, Tiger H, LT432, FCM, E25, WZ111-1, TS5

why not try obj 263 with all HE?  obj 263 can't really fire all that accurately, but HE doesn't need to be accurate just needs to hit. obj 263 has weirdly powerful HE damage and pen too. 

Too bad can't use Conway. 

Thanks for the replies guys. Too bad I've ground out pretty much every tank I want to have in the Soviet/Chinese trees. I'm still on the Obj 263 but that tank is just so far from being my normal playstyle it's hurting me just to play it a couple of times in a row. Playing a tier 9 TD with full HE sounds like something that will really kill my dwindling love for the game so I can't bring myself to do that.

I guess I could just spam premium tanks like the T-44-100 or the 432 (can't really do much more of the IS-3A or Defender after getting a couple of missions spamming those) and wait for the stars to align while making creditos. The WZ TD is also in my garage and at least it's quick so the lack of turret isn't as horrible as it is for many TDs.

Or I could get the SU152 and derp until I drop, or I get the mission, whichever comes first. 

I figure Kolni is right about the high-tier tanks, although I think most people have decent crew already at tier 8+. I have been playing for a long time and still know where the modules are on a lot of tanks. The ammo rack especially is usually easy to target if you get side-shots, so I'll try to keep that in mind. Also, a lucky fire or two would really help, that's very true.

I guess it's going to be another one of those RNG-lotteries missions you just select and forget until you finish them by a fluke...

Some other things to consider.

Large first aid provides 15% resistance to crew member damage on penetrating hits (while kit is available, so not during 90-sec cool down after use).

There is an RNG saving throw on all non-track module/crew damage. Deadeye increases these by +3%

Ammo-rack: 27% chance of damage on penetrating hit

Gun & Crew: 33% chance

Everything else (Engine, fuel tank, radio, turret ring, viewport): 45% chance

I've never seen published numbers on how HE damages modules/crew, but I'd guess the RNG chance of damage is lower individually but still more likely to trigger at least one crit due to multiple modules being hit.

Lower tiers should be easier due to less large first aid kit use (too expensive for casuals), less stronk hull-down tanks (most crew member hitboxes will be in turret), etc. SU-152 HE spam seems like the best choice to me.

Now this is fking hilarious. I played 11 games in the WZ-120 GF and the 111111111-4. Never got even close. Caved in and bought the SU-152, loaded lots of HE and some HEAT. First battle, Glacier tier 9 game. Got the mission done with 2.6k damage. Just HE goodness in the face.

Literally FIRST game in the SU-152 got the mission done. Sadly only 2 kills so no honors, but that's the way things go.

I figure it's also a pretty good tank for getting the only other Union mission I need to unlock mission 15. Kill 6 tanks of 2 different types. This tank can do that for sure when top/mid tier.