Sign in to follow this  
Bavor

So, about that ray tracing....

When Wargaming said they are introducing ray traced shadows that work on any graphics card, I was skeptical about how it would work.  In the video, they showed the highest level of ray traced shadows most of the time.

I did some tests with WoT Encore RT to test performance with ray traced shadows on the highest setting and off.  I used MSI afterburner to measure average fps, minimum FPS, 1% low FPS, and 01.% low FPS during the WoT Encore RT demo.  I tested resolutions from 1920x1080 to 4K(3840x2160).  

Using an i7 and GTX 1080 ti, the difference in performance with ray tracing on at the highest level and ray tracing off was 40-65% depending on the resolution.  Yes, up to 65% lower FPS to have ray traced shadows enabled.  I tried with an RTX 2080 and i7 system and the difference was almost 60% at 1920x1080 resolution between RT on and RT off.  That's a major performance hit for slightly nicer shadows.  I monitored CPU usage when running the demo and it was at 20-45% total CPU usage on the i7 and no cores were maxed out.  So, its obvious that the implementation of ray tracing they are using is very inefficient even after their improvements in how it works.

I honestly wouldn't notice the difference in quality of shadows most of the time when playing the game.  

Also, Wargaming needs to stop lying to their customers about their WoT Encore results.  On systems that get 20-25 FPS Encore is still telling them that their results are "Good."  I don't know of any gamer that would be happy with most games at 20-25 FPS.  In WoT tanks start jumping around your screen at that low of a framerate.

5 hours ago, Fulcrous said:

WG's is CPU bound not GPU

Yet it never uses more than 50% of the CPU and never maxes out any core when ray traced shadows are enabled and usually uses 20-40% of the CPU's ability.  So, it isn't a limit of the CPU causing poor performance.