Sign in to follow this  
ZXrage

M54 Renegade, Tier 8 Premium HT (Marathon)

Not sure why they changed the name to M54, especially since the tank never made it past prototypes...

Are you guys going to grind it out all the way or get the tank at a discount?

Stats: https://tanks.gg/tank/renegade/stats
nDES0UZ.png

Marathon missions:

Stage 1

Conditions of Missions for Commitment

• Earn a total of 3,000 points of base experience.
  • Tier VI–X vehicles only.

Conditions of Missions for Mastery

• Finish the battle as the top player on your team by experience earned.
  • Tier IX–X vehicles only.

Rewards

1xlargefirstaidkit.png 1xautomaticfireextinguisher.png 1x Premium Repair kit

Stage 2

• Earn a total of 5,000 points of base experience.

• Cause at least 20% of the total amount of damage caused by your team.

Rewards

2xrezerv_svobodnyy_opyt.png 2xadditionalbriefing.png 5x Sixth Sense directives

Stage 3

• Earn a total of 9,000 points of base experience.

• Earn at least 850 points of base experience 5 times.

Rewards

100,000money_silver_big_48x.png 5xrezerv_opyt.png 5x Firefighting directives

Stage 4

• Earn a total of 17,000 points of base experience.

• Finish the battle as the top player on your team by experience earned 10 times.

Rewards

1xday1_s.png 1xstabilizator_vertikalnoy_navodki.png 10x Vertical Stabilizer directives

Stage 5

• Earn a total of 30,000 points of base experience.

• Be the top player on your team by damage caused 15 times.

Rewards

200,000money_silver_big_48x.png 10xrezerv_svobodnyy_opyt.png 10x Sixth Sense directives

Stage 6

• Earn a total of 30,000 points of base experience.

• Cause at least 20% of the total amount of damage caused by your team 10 times.

Rewards

300,000money_silver_big_48x.png 10xadditionalbriefing.png 15x Firefighting directives

Stage 7

• Earn a total of 32,000 points of base experience.

• Cause at least 4,500 HP of damage 10 times.

Rewards

1xday1_s.png 1xdosilatel.png 15x Gun rammer directives

Stage 8

• Earn a total of 35,000 points of base experience.

• Be the top player on your team by damage caused 20 times.

Rewards

500,000money_silver_big_48x.png 10xcombatpayments.png20x Sixth Sense directives

Stage 9

• Earn a total of 40,000 points of base experience.

• Earn at least 850 points of base experience 25 times.

Rewards

1xday1_s.png 1xuluchshennaya_ventilyatsiya.png 20x Ventillation directives

Stage 10

• Earn a total of 50,000 points of base experience.

• Finish the battle as the top player on your team by experience earned 25 times.

Rewards

1x prize_hangarslot.png 1xicon_battle_missions_prize_premtank.png 1xadditionalbriefing.png 1x Bundle of credits and other goodies

The amor is not bad. I would say good. UFP is about 190-220 for the weaker bit. LFP is glass but tumor is a real problem

apparently the gun that seems ported from a tier 9 medium is supposed to compensate. Good handling for 360 alpha, 2.1k DPM 226 pen, almost like its fucking over the mediums.

mobility is good if not for the magical ground resistances from hell.

VR is good enough to replace mediums because again fuck balance.

side armor and good shell velocity...

bullshit/10 would delete again

3 hours ago, Oicraftian said:

The amor is not bad. I would say good. UFP is about 190-220 for the weaker bit. LFP is glass but tumor is a real problem

apparently the gun that seems ported from a tier 9 medium is supposed to compensate. Good handling for 360 alpha, 2.1k DPM 226 pen, almost like its fucking over the mediums.

mobility is good if not for the magical ground resistances from hell.

VR is good enough to replace mediums because again fuck balance.

side armor and good shell velocity...

bullshit/10 would delete again

The gun slightly out-DPMs the T26E5 while having more alpha strike, so yeah very strong gun

I have no idea why they made this a tier 8 prem since the real world stats should suggest that it's tier 9 medium territory. The fact that it does being a medium better than other mediums in its tier is quite amusing

I am more about how it combined those firepower stats with gun bloom that'd be competitive for a medium tank.

if real world stats seriously influenced performance we wouldn't be driving anything but IS-7's. The thing would move better than a stock T-54. Except firing 490 alpha at 7-8 RPM with over 270 pen.

An excellent reflection on WG's wisdom. Or rather lack thereof.

25k base XP a day, but do like the look of the tank so might get a bit of discount and get it anyway, it's basically a tier 8 E5. 

yikes those are some pretty grindy masteries though.. for people that don't already average 850xp/g or more.. that's easily 2-300 games for most players?? 

stage 10 easily 500+ games for most players, no way they can complete the masteries in the amount of time but i guess that's why we have money :doge: 

12 hours ago, kolni said:

yikes those are some pretty grindy masteries though.. for people that don't already average 850xp/g or more.. that's easily 2-300 games for most players?? 

stage 10 easily 500+ games for most players, no way they can complete the masteries in the amount of time but i guess that's why we have money :doge: 

seems like with each marathon the missions get harder or the time frame gets shorter 

in this case both 

quick review in case anyone's on the fence about funding Serb's moon base

• support heavium
  • historically a medium - conventional non-autoloading version of the T54E1
  • was once tested as a tier 10 med a loooong time ago now dusted off the shelves for the moolah: https://tanks.gg/tank/m48t54e2/stats
  • doesn't actually feel like an E5

gun

• a m a z e b a l l s
  • meaty 360 alpha with sub 8 reload, good (226) pen and hitscan APCR
  • good accuracy and best in class bloom with .10 base turret bloom - better than a Progetto :PogChamp:
  • -10 gun depression
  • aim time only decent at 2.4s, though mitigated by bloom
  • APCR  255 only means you struggle against heavily armoured targets
  • basically the gun of a tier 9 medium
  • overall: all-in-all best in class firepower tied with the Caern (less alpha, more DPM) and the 53TP (more alpha, less DPM).
  • arguably even better than the above two if you fire full gold

armour

• bad to unreliable
  • tumour ~180EA
  • large LFP ~150EA
  • weak-ish UFP ~200EA
  • tall hull larger than the E5
  • no beak -
  • no magical drive sprocket 
  • turret: 230-250 frontally, prominent shot trap and turret ring
  • overall: more comparable to the Patton than the E5
  • does not get significantly better with angling or when using gun depression - will bounce some glancing shots
  • 0.4 - 0.5 armour use efficiency which is armoured med territory - snap more for best results - wiggle when reloading

mobility

• 45 top speed, 17 reverse (which is more than the tier 10 patton)
  • 16 hpt
  • baddish terrain resistances with particularly bad soft terrain stats - 3.26
  • decent traverse + neutral steering
  • 35 degree/s turret traverse <3
  • gear ratio stuff (needs testing): nippy between 0-30, average heavy acceleration between 30-40, sluggish above 40
  • overall: goes 40-ish on most terrain but not otherwise significantly faster than a 53TP or an IS-3
  • good for taking positions and relocating but far from ideal for brawling - things like 50TPs and Chryslers are inexplicably more agile

verdict

• good crew trainer in case you wanted two irrelevant tier 10 heavies
  • decent earner but loses out to Paytriot/Lowe/240 alpha things, goldspam not necessary but addictive
  • again, does not actually play like the E5 - if I had to describe it feels more like the 5A with the Super Conq's gun
  • ridiculously gud at farming - even I can maintain 2k DPG without too much trouble
  • winning potential: tied to Chrysler IMO but you win games by damage whoring and not tanking everything
  • fun factor: as a heavium player this is the most fun I've had in a premium heavy
  • value: IMO worth it if more than 50% off, YMMV
  • OP?  https://imgur.com/gallery/R5KFqZM

Ground out several levels of the Marathon and then decided to buy the tank.

I've been enjoying it quite a bit. It's strong if played correctly, but not OP at all imo, and definitely not game-breaking or cancer to play against.

The gun is absolutely amazing. Some of the best gun handling I've dealt with at tier 8, especially considering it has 360 alpha. Pen is good, gun depression is great. 360 alpha puts you in an interesting place where you can outrade 240/250/300/320 alpha guns, and trade 2-for-1 with 390/440/490 alpha guns. So, the alpha works really well, but takes some effort to get it to work. It's not just braindead. The combination of alpha + DPM is really what makes the gun (and by extension the tank).

The armor is trolly, but that's it. If your opponents can't aim, don't see the cupola, or RNG favors you, you can bounce a decent amount. Barring those, it means nothing. Your best bet is hulldown at mid-range using your gun performance to snap shot and not give your opponents a good shot. Even then, don't rely on the armor.

Mobility is slow medium level. Faster than the T26E5 (which is nice), but not true medium. You're limited on early-game aggressive positions you can take, and how quickly you can flex, but overall it has the mobility to get the job done.

Overall, a very fun tier 8 prem to play. Reliable gun + gun depression + decent mobility is a nice combination. And, it looks sexy as hell in my opinion.

My gripes with it are:

1. If you play it alongside the E5 (like I've been doing lately), you have to get used to the cupolas being on opposite sides of the turret.
  2. It should not be called the M54. It never reached production. It should technically be called the T54E2. The fact that WG originally had the correct name for it, but then changed it last minute just rubs salt in the wounds.
  3. It should've been used for another American Medium tank tech tree, just like the T95E2/T95E6. The fact that WG instead decided to make it a premium doesn't surprise me, but does disappoint me.
  4. The only tank it really trains crews for is the T57 Heavy. the T110E5 isn't really worth playing anymore sadly (I say that despite the fact that I've been playing it lately). You can also train crews for the T29, but mid-tiers are horrible, especially with the number of M44's around.

Overall, I would suggest this to skilled players, but not new/average/below average players. It's a good tank, but requires some level of effort/skill/positioning to get it to work.

It's not OP compared to what? Defender?

Turret armor is basically unstoppable if you skyline at even short ranges like 100 meters. Just move horizontally and keep bloom down before you shoot. Up an incline is better so reverse is faster.

Hull upper armor should be quite effective at around 200 EFF level ground.

The gun combines with these stats so it can beat every poor tier 8 into dust.

Anything that can realistically snap it gets its ass kicked because of alpha.

I get that its not braindead easy to play but just because it requires a tiny bit of intellect to apply an overwhelming advantage, doesn't mean its not too good.

#507 side poke, sky line yourself, mild depression is possible, diagonal poke is better for depression

#508 front angled poke to increase upper front strength, will probably get you detracked, just run double kits and repairs.

In both cases you are looking slightly up at the turret (~5 degrees), since the 'chin weakspot' doesn't really exist on level ground.

Armor protection (for turret) is extremely strong aside from the cupola. It might be a weakspot but its much easier to defend by using flex (than say old IS-3 roof)

Hull front does have a beak, 220 eff rapidly drops to 180 on bottom tip of hull upper front creating a minor weakzone of 'only' 190, which is a little less than Cent 7/1 UFP after which it hits over 200. 

Screenshot (507).png

Screenshot (508).png

I reckon it's basically post them giving up on the pretense that the game could be a worthwhile esports proposition. 2015 ish. At which point they switched to prioritising revenue over balance and things basically ended up the way they are now.

That's probably around the time they fired the poorly managed balance team and replaced them with the marketing team.

[a joke]

In all seriousness I can see it but they were still doing some bullshit creep in 2012.

Like tier 8 penetration values in general.

12 hours ago, Oicraftian said:

It's not OP compared to what? Defender?

Turret armor is basically unstoppable if you skyline at even short ranges like 100 meters. Just move horizontally and keep bloom down before you shoot. Up an incline is better so reverse is faster.

Hull upper armor should be quite effective at around 200 EFF level ground.

The gun combines with these stats so it can beat every poor tier 8 into dust.

Anything that can realistically snap it gets its ass kicked because of alpha.

I get that its not braindead easy to play but just because it requires a tiny bit of intellect to apply an overwhelming advantage, doesn't mean its not too good.

#507 side poke, sky line yourself, mild depression is possible, diagonal poke is better for depression

#508 front angled poke to increase upper front strength, will probably get you detracked, just run double kits and repairs.

In both cases you are looking slightly up at the turret (~5 degrees), since the 'chin weakspot' doesn't really exist on level ground.

Armor protection (for turret) is extremely strong aside from the cupola. It might be a weakspot but its much easier to defend by using flex (than say old IS-3 roof)

Hull front does have a beak, 220 eff rapidly drops to 180 on bottom tip of hull upper front creating a minor weakzone of 'only' 190, which is a little less than Cent 7/1 UFP after which it hits over 200. 

Screenshot (507).png

Screenshot (508).png

• I wouldn't call the turret extremely strong - the whole area below the gun is weak to 250~ pen rounds when using gun depression
  • hull is shit on flat ground - easier to bait shots with tracks and the protruding bit of the 'beak' than actually trying to bounce
  • the armour by itself is strictly meh - but it's not like your opposition really has a chance to aim in most engagements since you will be outsnapping 90% of vehicles you encounter with that ludicrous a gun.

tbh the tiger II would be OP if you gave it this gun - and this thing has speed and gun depression on top of everything else it offers.

I don't exactly know if this tank is cancer to play against since I only play 2018/2019 OP tier 8s, but I would suspect from the number of meds I've farmed that it would be absolute bollocks to fight in your typical 240 alpha paper med which will have wore alpha, worse gun handling, worse armour and worse DPM. It's like trying to fight a tier 9 med basically (which is what the tank pretty much is IMO).

8 hours ago, lavawing said:
  • I wouldn't call the turret extremely strong - the whole area below the gun is weak to 250~ pen rounds when using gun depression

The whole thing aside from cupola makes 220 standard pen, pretty good for (old) tier 8 shit itself. But yeah, its not IS-3 tier I guess so "very strong" may be more accurate.

• hull is shit on flat ground - easier to bait shots with tracks and the protruding bit of the 'beak' than actually trying to bounce

center UFP is a little weak but the LFP is the main perpetrator.

• the armour by itself is strictly meh - but it's not like your opposition really has a chance to aim in most engagements since you will be outsnapping 90% of vehicles you encounter with that ludicrous a gun.

I would seriously hesitate to call it meh since you have to the latter (enemy can't aim against M54) and the turret stopping Charioteer standard ammo.

tbh the tiger II would be OP if you gave it this gun - and this thing has speed and gun depression on top of everything else it offers.

I don't exactly know if this tank is cancer to play against since I only play 2018/2019 OP tier 8s, but I would suspect from the number of meds I've farmed that it would be absolute bollocks to fight in your typical 240 alpha paper med which will have wore alpha, worse gun handling, worse armour and worse DPM. It's like trying to fight a tier 9 med basically (which is what the tank pretty much is IMO).

When I look in tanks.gg live model, it seems stronger than Caernarveon or Centurion 1 turret, and CAX against 268 pen guns... Aside from the cupola that's really good isn't it?

Hull armor *seems* workable. But no matter how you angle it you expose this ~200 eff armor band between the "beak" and rest of UFP.

Screenshot (511).png

I got the tank at a 70% discount (20% more than what I was aiming for) and played for a bit, so written below are my first impressions/ review. I'll compare it to the T26E5 since it's the American premium HT to get (why would you get a T34 lmao just play the T29 a tier lower)

Let's take a look at the tank trifecta of criteria:
Mobility
The mobility on the tank is good for a heavy, only decent overall. You're rarely going to hit your top speed of 45 and just hover around the 40 mark. Turning kills any speed on this tank because of the terrain resistances so it's best to take racing lines everywhere you go to minimize the speed bleeding. Overall a touch better than the T26E5.
3/5

Firepower
This is the highlight of the tank, honestly. It's such a good gun I believe it should be on a tier 9 (it should've been :'(). Because you don't move so quickly the bloom on hull movement does barely anything for the gun and coupled with the really good but not IS-3 tier .1 turret dispersion means you snap for days. The below-average aimtime is not a problem because the bloom is just so low. The alpha and reload sit at a very good sweet spot wherein you can trade decently with heavies and also out-DPM them 8/10, which fixes my problem with the T26E5 wherein the alpha and bloom are hard to manage to fight decently with the enemies. The penetration is also pretty good, although you'll have problems fighting tier 10 superheavies but all tier 8s have problems with those anyway.

The only downside I can think of is that you'll get out-traded by most heavies, especially so with the Defender/VK 100.01, which is really important in heavy brawling where you both trade around cover one at a time.
4.5/5

Armor/Survivability
You're honestly not going to bounce anything except with the turret. The hull armor is just garbo enough that anything tier 7 and above will autopen it. You'll have to bait with the tracks to bounce anything on the hull or snapshot your trade so they don't get a chance to hit you (which you're really good at). Turret wise, it will bounce most shots save lucky cheek shots. The cupola is very prominent, but if you're playing it right you can make it a hard shot for most of the enemy. It just means you can't stand still or you'll get hit in the cupola. The height is a problem since the hull is kinda tall, so you have to pick the cover you'll use. Arty wise you're going to get splashed by 200-400 every hit which isn't ideal, especially since the tank is pretty large. I've also noticed my crew dying a bit more than usual, so you might want to consider a large health kit. This the only category wherein the T26E5 edges it out, if only because the hull/turret combo is more useful.

View range is also really good for an 8, so you can at least spot in high-tier games where you're kinda useless. I run optics on the tank although a case can be made for vents if your crew is good enough and/or running food.
3.5/5

How is it as a premium?
Since you can do a lot of damage due to the really good gun, you can potentially make a lot of money. It's not a 90mm shell though in terms of cost/damage, nor can it farm high-tier opponents like the S1/Lowe, but it makes good credits.

Should I buy it?
This one's tough to say, especially since it's only a marathon tank for now. At 10-40% discount I'd think about it, 50-70% discount I'd say buy, 80-90% is too good of a deal unless you don't want to give WG money. I got it not only because it was 70% off, but also because I like collecting historical American tanks. I'm still kinda miffed they renamed it to the M54 since it never made it past prototype stages. As a crew trainer it trains both the T57 and T110E5, but the American HT line in general isn't in a very good spot these days bar the T29.

Totalling up the ZXScore™ and the tank comes out at 11/15. It's a really good heavy, but it's no Defender :^)

thank you for reading my blogpost

AddenumThe HE does 440 damage, so you can splash low-HP tanks and kill them. I still wouldn't rely on it, though.

-----

20 hours ago, Oicraftian said:

When I look in tanks.gg live model, it seems stronger than Caernarveon or Centurion 1 turret, and CAX against 268 pen guns... Aside from the cupola that's really good isn't it?

Hull armor *seems* workable. But no matter how you angle it you expose this ~200 eff armor band between the "beak" and rest of UFP.

Screenshot (511).png

I'm not sure why you're looking at UFP effectiveness, especially since nobody in their right mind would shoot an UFP unless they're a.) braindead which is easy to outplay or b.) they have enough pen to butter it, which is most tanks you're gonna face. Tier 8 is a very popular tier, which means most of the people you fight can instapen the hull.

10 minutes ago, ZXrage said:

I got the tank at a 70% discount (20% more than what I was aiming for) and played for a bit, so written below are my first impressions/ review. I'll compare it to the T26E5 since it's the American premium HT to get (why would you get a T34 lmao just play the T29 a tier lower)

Let's take a look at the tank trifecta of criteria:
Mobility
The mobility on the tank is good for a heavy, only decent overall. You're rarely going to hit your top speed of 45 and just hover around the 40 mark. Turning kills any speed on this tank because of the terrain resistances so it's best to take racing lines everywhere you go to minimize the speed bleeding. Overall a touch better than the T26E5.
3/5

Firepower
This is the highlight of the tank, honestly. It's such a good gun I believe it should be on a tier 9 (it should've been :'(). Because you don't move so quickly the bloom on hull movement does barely anything for the gun and coupled with the really good but not IS-3 tier .1 turret dispersion means you snap for days. The below-average aimtime is not a problem because the bloom is just so low. The alpha and reload sit at a very good sweet spot wherein you can trade decently with heavies and also out-DPM them 8/10, which fixes my problem with the T26E5 wherein the alpha and bloom are hard to manage to fight decently with the enemies. The penetration is also pretty good, although you'll have problems fighting tier 10 superheavies but all tier 8s have problems with those anyway.

The only downside I can think of is that you'll get out-traded by most heavies, especially so with the Defender/VK 100.01, which is really important in heavy brawling where you both trade around cover one at a time.
4.5/5

Armor/Survivability
You're honestly not going to bounce anything except with the turret. The hull armor is just garbo enough that anything tier 7 and above will autopen it. You'll have to bait with the tracks to bounce anything on the hull or snapshot your trade so they don't get a chance to hit you (which you're really good at). Turret wise, it will bounce most shots save lucky cheek shots. The cupola is very prominent, but if you're playing it right you can make it a hard shot for most of the enemy. It just means you can't stand still or you'll get hit in the cupola. The height is a problem since the hull is kinda tall, so you have to pick the cover you'll use. Arty wise you're going to get splashed by 200-400 every hit which isn't ideal, especially since the tank is pretty large. I've also noticed my crew dying a bit more than usual, so you might want to consider a large health kit. This the only category wherein the T26E5 edges it out, if only because the hull/turret combo is more useful.

View range is also really good for an 8, so you can at least spot in high-tier games where you're kinda useless. I run optics on the tank although a case can be made for vents if your crew is good enough and/or running food.
3.5/5

How is it as a premium?
Since you can do a lot of damage due to the really good gun, you can potentially make a lot of money. It's not a 90mm shell though in terms of cost/damage, nor can it farm high-tier opponents like the S1/Lowe, but it makes good credits.

Should I buy it?
This one's tough to say, especially since it's only a marathon tank for now. At 10-40% discount I'd think about it, 50-70% discount I'd say buy, 80-90% is too good of a deal unless you don't want to give WG money. I got not only because it was 70% off, but also because I like collecting historical American tanks. I'm still kinda miffed they renamed it to the M54 since it never made it past prototype stages. As a crew trainer it trains both the T57 and T110E5, but the American HT line in general isn't in a very good spot these days bar the T29.

Totalling up the ZXScore™ and the tank comes out at 11/15. It's a really good heavy, but it's no Defender :^)

thank you for reading my blogpost

AddenumThe HE does 440 damage, so you can splash low-HP tanks and kill them. I still wouldn't rely on it, though.

Hmm, I would have given it a 4/5 in mobility, 5/5 in firepower and 2.5/5 for armour, but I'm comparing it to other heavies and not everything tier 8 - which is probably where the difference comes from.

My only gripe with the gun is the gold pen. 255mm is not always enough for when you matched against higher tiers, especially against angled armour. 360 alpha on the other hand is perfectly OK for me since the gun handling is just that good.

IMO it's actually better for good players than a Defender is, which is pretty much hard capped by its derpiness. And in fact the most comparable tank in tier is really the 53TP, which is another soft-ish fast heavy with tier 9-esque firepower.

I find that the armor is really inconsistent. Sometimes you block 2k damage and sometimes you block 0 damage. It's definitely not good by heavy standards, and is pretty much what you would expect from the patchwork of armor values and angles you find on this tank, but it's got enough so that you can feel pretty confident about poking a lot of the time. 

One on one it actually trades great against other heavies. The RoF makes them eat 720 HP worth of shit for every shot they fire at you, and even in a brawl, you'll definitely bounce the occasional shot. Nothing to rely on, but in a duel, the M54 makes most other tier 8s choke on ass. The problem comes when you're facing multiple opponents, in which case you use cover and sidescrape track baiting to limit your exposure. 

The mobility is above average for a heavy, but the terrain resistances make it feel like it's fighting against the ground sometimes. The speedometer reads what you'd expect, the tank is turning like you think it would, and yet it just feels somewhat clumsy in an odd way. At the same time, the Renegade is actually pretty comfortable to play, you don't feel so gimped like you would in something like a Tiger II.

I'd agree that if played well it's probably better than something like a Defender in a lot of scenarios, although it can really get punished in high tier matches when you're in a bad spot. In terms of how good it is as a tank, it's probably up there with the best, but it's not as overtly brainless and cancerous as some other vehicles which makes shitters think it's only average.

Also tier 6s can't even penetrate the cupola, which can make for lulzy clubs.

Close to 50%, hoping to get to 60% by the end of the weekend, and will probably pick it up as it looks both decent in terms of ability and pure looks. 

By people's descriptions it sound like the old Conqueror on tier 8, with more mobility.