Shackram

Heatmaps!

So i finaly found out what heatmaps are. I dunno if it's common knowledge that's not so common or if it's a new thing, but for those wondering: http://www.vbaddict.net/heatmaps/

heatmap_lakeville_ctf_all.png

heatmap_malinovka_ctf_all.png

heatmap_murovanka_ctf_all.png

heatmap_redshire_ctf_all.png

heatmap_westfield_ctf_all.png

Yeah, that's just some of the stuff he's using the data for. They (finally?) fully reversed what Wargaming was doing in the replay files. He created something to show replays on those little maps as well. It's got shots fired and tank positions and everything in the replay file. Pretty neat stuff. Not sure of the actual usefulness of the maps he's currently producing. But it's data. So there has to be something fun to be done with it.

Check out the heatmaps on pearl river. It used to be such an exciting and fast paced map fighting at B8 on 3 different fronts.

But now everybody just camps bridge and there's no choice but to win south west.

Check out the heatmaps on pearl river. It used to be such an exciting and fast paced map fighting at B8 on 3 different fronts.

But now everybody just camps bridge and there's no choice but to win south west.

I hate this so much.

I can understand if a team's comp lends itself to not crossing bridge (not enough beefcake heavies, alpha etc) but it's to the point where mediums are now camping bridge in pubs. There's no "lets push north because we have three E-100's and big TDs", the match just starts with "DO NOT CROSS BRIDGE" and that's that.

Neat find.

heatmap_westfield_ctf_all.png

The thing that kills me about westfield is that if they start you at the base, the green side can directly approach the southern half of town.  The red side has to either take the long route, or the risky F7 route.  Or it can pointlessly go south along the border.  This is terrible, but apparently tons of people see it as the best option.  

The maps for Severegorsk and Sacred Valley make those maps seem tiny.

For Severegorsk: http://www.vbaddict.net/heatmaps/severogorsk/50

Is that central river bed viable?  It seems like a death trap to me.

Severogorsk map is going to change, I bet.  That huge green blob at E4 will shrink as more and more people start pushing across from the spawn to the 9 and 10 lines.  I can already see a difference from the first games on the map.  I still think the spawns give south a pretty big edge, but east pushes help.

It would be really useful to have these split into battle tier, because some maps are really different when played at different tiers due to the different capabilities (especially vision) of the vehicles involved.

Seeing these red/green dots doesn't show much except the primary engagement locations, which is pretty much common knowledge anyways.

There are plans to update it later to separate by tank classes, which is what i'm interested in.

Seeing these red/green dots doesn't show much except the primary engagement locations, which is pretty much common knowledge anyways.

There are plans to update it later to separate by tank classes, which is what i'm interested in.

I agree that the per tank map will also be a bit more interesting.  However, what I find intriguing is to see where people don't commonly go.  For some places there are some obvious reasons as they may just be useless points on the map, but some significant advantage could be gained by going to a place where you aren't expected to be.

I would like to see heat maps showing the location of tanks when they get kills, and another to show the location of tanks when they are killed. 

First of all +1 for the find. Awesome stuff.

2nd: wow that site is amazingly interesting. Example, if you sort on the map statistics page and do TD, US, tier 5, by map and team, the WN7 rating for "Team 1" whatever that means is the highest in the game:  1333.33. While Team 2, same metrics, is 66th out of 68 at 963.24??? A ~475 point WN7 difference, just for getting the wrong side of the map.

In other words, if you get that map, in a T49 from the wrong side... say goodbye to your chances of a good match.

Very, VERY interesting.

I'm not smart enough to use it, but these heat maps could be instructive, particularly if they'll add more sorting options.

Dammit! I literally just stumbled upon this idea like 3 games ago and thought I'd ask if such a thing had been created! Awesome :)

I hate this so much.

I can understand if a team's comp lends itself to not crossing bridge (not enough beefcake heavies, alpha etc) but it's to the point where mediums are now camping bridge in pubs. There's no "lets push north because we have three E-100's and big TDs", the match just starts with "DO NOT CROSS BRIDGE" and that's that.

I have had a team from mid.cap start actually push bridge and win, our heavies/t95 were very competent

Is that central river bed viable?  It seems like a death trap to me.

I was toying with it earlier. If you stay in the ravine, it's surprisingly well covered. But you get pretty much insta-spotted and shot down if you try to get out. I think it could work as a scout position or distraction, but I don't expect to be able to do a ton of damage from here, or really anything besides camping and maybe spotting. Possibly viable for T29, with the ability to auto hull down on coming out, but I doubt it; there's a surroundedness that might bite hard. Worth experimenting with once or twice, though.

The river bed is an excellent assault point once numbers have been whittled down. With even moderate degrees of distraction, you can easily slip a tank through and flank any dug in forces, or raid their arty. It's a fast strike route though, so fast tanks only. You're unlikely to get a larger tank through unscathed unless your team is just mopping up. At that point, your route really doesn't matter to begin with.

I'd like to see these heat maps for some commonly played tanks but for different win ratio/wn players. One map for, say, campinovka, with 3 group of players. One for 0-1000wn, one for 1000-1700wn, one for 1700+wn. It would be nice to see how the routes taken differ with player skill.

I'd like to see these heat maps for some commonly played tanks but for different win ratio/wn players. One map for, say, campinovka, with 3 group of players. One for 0-1000wn, one for 1000-1700wn, one for 1700+wn. It would be nice to see how the routes taken differ with player skill.

I second this notion, I think this could be an eye opener for a lot of people.

But make it 0-1000, 1000-1900 and 1900+

The only time I like to camp the bridge is when I've got my JT.  Tall enough to stick the gun over and show only the heavily armored casemate is pretty boss.  Can't count the number of 5000+ damage, Steel Wall games the north has gotten me.

Though... more of them have come from the north spawn, going to the middle road - same situation there.

I hate this so much.

I can understand if a team's comp lends itself to not crossing bridge (not enough beefcake heavies, alpha etc) but it's to the point where mediums are now camping bridge in pubs. There's no "lets push north because we have three E-100's and big TDs", the match just starts with "DO NOT CROSS BRIDGE" and that's that.

It's usually not hard to convince people to push bridge, I find. Camping the south side of the bridge is a pretty terrible idea, it's as much a bottleneck for you as them, until the north side actually tries to cross the bridge. You can usually just line up everything from the north and own anyone who peeks out. Kill a few tanks, then you get to cross the bridge. It would be one thing if you camped way up in the bushes and waited for them to get over the bridge, then they have no cover. But people rarely do that, they're right there at the bridge. No tactical advantage to be gained really.

In general, the metagame is shifting such that the side the pushes the bridge hardest wins now. Alot of teams will send 3 or 4 tanks there, so all you have to do is push hard and well, and you win. The metagame will always correct itself. People start camping the bridge, they get bored, they stop doing it, bridge is now open, side that pushes wins. You'll see alot more east pushes in the near future, which will mean the middle buildings will be playable again, since the entire enemy team won't be sniping you from the 1 2 3 lines.

It will get better, but in the meantime, if you can convince your team to take advantage of nothing being at the bridge, or better yet, ignore the bridge entirely, you get alot of good wins.