ZXrage

Removed Maps

Which of the removed maps do you guys miss and/or wish WG brought back with some tweaks?

To jog your head:

- Dragon Ridge
Dragon_Ridge.jpg

- Hidden Village
HiddenVillage_MiniMap.jpg

- Komarin
Komarin.jpg

- Northwest
Northwest.jpg

- Pearl River
Asia_Miao.jpg

- Port
map-port.jpg

- Sacred Valley
Sacred_Valley.jpg

- Severogorsk
map_1c28bb5d9b18d015e11dc001a1f3e15be18f

- South Coast
south_coast.jpg

- Stalingrad
stalingrad.jpg

- Swamp
JKtSRKE.jpg

- Windstorm
84_winter.jpg

windstorm and swamp were by far my best performing maps as a whole

i did like south coast too although the map really had huse design flaws you can compare it to empire or studizanki or minsk and it's a fucking ESL tier map

i am confident that the wg map creation department is the most brain damaged game dev team to ever exist in history, the people responsible for that really are single digit IQ people

how they even managed to get a job doing this is absolutely fucking baffling

like legit give me the tools to create maps and whoopdifucking dooo game saved

I always liked Swamp, I also liked pearl river but I can see its design flaws. 

Didnt mind port when it existed but looking back it had a tiny amount of actual playable area.

didnt mind sacred valley, south coast, or stalingrad, hated hidden village, didnt really like most of the others. I remember not minding dragon ridge but its been so long since that map existed, and I was still terrible when it as removed, that I'd have a hard time being able to judge it today. 

but Swamp, gotta get back to that. It was one of the few maps that I felt wasn't corridor-ey. It had some of the most actually playable area and viable positions out of any map in the game. You could play all around the north area, south area, and the whole center area on each side. But everyone complained about it because they couldn't figure out that you had to play the map clockwise from your spawn. 

I want Komarin back because I know it would piss off everyone, but maybe I am just a chaotic neutral at heart. I do miss Swamp, Windstorm, Sacred Valley, and South Coast. I feel that Wargaming's map department hit rock bottom with Minsk and they could not make a worse map if they tried. So why not bring back imbalanced maps? How could it possibly get any worse than Minsk? 

Swamp was a great map indeed. I did like Sacred Valley and some of the many reincarnations of Severogorsk were OK as well.
Now Pearl River was probably my most hated map back then. But of course, that was a long time before abominations like Paris.

A lot of those maps felt pretty bad at the time when they were removed, but with so many shiiiiit maps in the game today I think the old ones start looking better and better.

I never minded Dragon Ridge. There was a bit of a problem with huge elevation changes, making life hard for the precious super-heavies, but it never felt unbalanced, back in the day.

Hidden Village was awful and I never want to see it back in the game. A corridor slug-fest and the rest a suicide rush area. A tiny, tiny map, effectively, since most of it was unplayable until late game.

Komarin was terrible back in the day, but once they added more ways to cross the river it got slightly better. Not great, but it feels like the grand-pappy of the current maps with the hidden TD positions in the back. Not a good map, but not any worse than your average campy map with elevated positions covered in bushes so that the bushwankers can wank.

Northwest was never a good map, very much a corridor fest, but it was far from being a terrible map, in the memory at least. There are probably worse maps in the game right now, to be honest.

Pearl River was always an annoying map for me. People didn’t know how to play it, mediums took too long to brawl in the south, meaning the game was lost by the time they got to relevant positions. The center hill was also pretty bad, as far as I recall at least. Apparently the map is being reworked now.

Port was a shit map, to be honest. Looked good, but the area you could actually play on was tiny. Good riddance.

Sacred Valley was annoying because the two main corridors were so far apart that if the lemming trains never met it would make for terrible games. And when it was in the game the climbs were still a thing, and the area in the north-east where the defenders could be on some ledge sniping made entire games utterly boring.

Strangely, I don’t even remember Severogorsk much. Just that there were those two corridors and a zone of death in the middle, but at least you could sometimes snipe over to the other corridor. I think. I had forgotten about this map, to be honest.

South Coast wasn’t that terrible. At least the beach wasn’t as bad as on Normandy and there were multiple corridors and some open areas. The north spawn had a very strong position to defend the spawn and camp, as I recall, but the map wasn’t terrible at all.

Stalingrad was never a good map. Corridors and blocked-off streets everywhere and the buildings low enough that arty could shit on everyone. The east flank would often win or loose you the game since fast tanks would battle it out and then flank the heavies still side-scraping and eating arty fire.

Swamp was a pretty good map. The only problem was that the heavies from the north-west spawn would go get slaughtered in the south-west corner and morons in the south-east team could never figure out that the best way to attack was straight north from the spawn. They could make relatively minor changes to this map and I’d be fine with it back in rotation.

Windstorm was an OK map, better than some now in the game. There were some annoying TD positions, but at least they weren’t covered with bushes and hard cover.

The game needs more maps and more kinds of maps, both in visual terms and in gameplay terms. 

• Definitely want back:
    • Northwest. This was supposed to return to the game after being modified, as I recall. The north-south balance wasn't perfect, but the height map was fun, it looked good, and I enjoyed trying to figure it out as a newbie. 
    • South Coast. I liked this one a lot. It had one of the most interesting height maps in the game. 
    • Pearl River. We need more maps with this skin in the game. Changing up the vegetation helped maps feel fresh. I would have liked to see some changes to address the ways the map was played poorly, though. For example, if the lemming train decided to take the shortest route into the bowl in the middle, a single vehicle could block all the others, and frequently would for the north team. 
    • Windstorm. The center of the city was boring, but overall I think it was a fine map and would like to see a version of it in the game. At least it wasn't fully boxed into a couple of corridors. 
    • Stalingrad. I know most folks disliked this map, but it was my favorite of the boring city corridor maps and I liked it much better than the version of Kharkov that was in the game at the time. To me, the eastern half of the map livened it up in ways that the equivalent flank on other city maps did not. 
  • Cautiously want back:
    • Sacred Valley. I had some problems with this map, and I was terrible at playing the middle, but it was interesting and I miss it. I don't miss artillery on it, and I do think that wheeled vehicles would have broken this map more than most. 
    • Swamp. Swamp had balance issues and could get too campy, but new maps always have "park your TD here if you like bushes and elevation" spots anyway, and at least Swamp had interesting crossfire. It shares pleasant, sunny visuals with Mountain Pass, and I liked it better than Mountain Pass. Given the choice I would have kept Swamp. 
  • Not sure: 
    • Severogorsk. This was removed from the game a few weeks after I started playing. 
    • Hidden Village. Empire's Border seems like Hidden Village with a bit of Swamp thrown in and the corridors turned up to 11. Hidden Village was bad mostly because of the small amount of playable area, but I think this could be addressed.
  • Don't want: 
    • Komarin. I never liked playing on this map. Bridges always screw up inattentive or lagging teammates, and the map felt a bit too small. Studzianki feels like the successor to Komarin, and I don't love Studzianki either. 
  • Never played:
    • PortDragon Ridge

Fuck me this makes me feel old, as I've actually played on all of these. Got my only Kolobanov's Medal on Port in a T49 (EDIT: read T67 now) when I capped out without firing a shot as a newbie.

Also super depressing, as many (if not most) are better than some of the maps currently in rotation. Interesting take on human psychology though - it seems from this thread that Swamp is generally well liked by this player base, but i'm pretty sure it was removed because of how many people complained and how campy it was. Absence (and WG's map department) make the heart grow fonder.

Problem with south coast is that it was biased to north spawn a lot, as TDs got that super epic sniping ride and literally didnt have to move from spawn to use it.

But it had some really nice positions that you could be aggressive to early game and allowed you to play more flexibly and creatively than just the standard go to this flank and brawl stuff.

I'd love to see a ton of these maps come back. I miss a lot of them, and they would definitely be a massive improvement over the current map lineup. The one issue I have is that WG seems to love making the most retarded changes to maps before bringing them back.

See Kharkov, Fisherman's Bay, Fjords, Ghost Town, Highway, Minsk, Pilsen, Province, Steppes, Studzianki, etc. All the recent map changes and map additions have been beyond infuriating. There's no reason for them, they make the gameplay worse, and anyone with two braincells should've been able to see that before they were released (sadly, WG map devs don't have 2 braincells collectively in the team, so...).

Dragon Ridge. Never played this in randoms before they pulled it, but played it a LOT in internal clan races with the BT7 and BC. That was super fun

Hidden Village with 3/4 of the map literally untraverse-able this was corridor at its worst. fuck this tiny ass map and the SerB it rode in on.

Komarin with the water drained was a fun to play on. cant say i miss it much because the mid controlled so much, like Mines. that said. it was bigger than mines so you had options to flank without getting hammered from mid. there was still a lot of bush wanking but it was workable if you knew how to use hulldowns. these days the cheese wedges would make this entirely unplayable but the wheelies would have fun in the trenches. (Much like the upcoming water drained minsk) 

Northwest I liked the height play and while it was 'corridorized' the hill drops were doable and other than the A1 corner, it was a lot of fun. 

Pearl River Loved this map, especially the rework where it opened the mid up a lot more. Most people didn’t know how to play it, the heavy brawl in the north always reminded me very much of the old El Halluf A1 corner where if you got to the best positions first the enemy was fucked and lost whatever tanks went there automatically

Port way too damned tiny, even back then. Widepark was a bigger map than this. the bridge was exposed to all sides and the rail cars were more aids than Ensk is now

Sacred Valley  this is the map that basically defined OP Climbs (The north ridge, the castle in center, the B2 heavy brawl area with the hidden overlook etc) didnt mind it much but holy shit the sides were literally separated by a mountain and if you won one side and lost the other you were still fucked because you couldn't counter push and only try to bush wank or ambush. I never had more lopsided games than this map.

Severogorsk this map was really open but felt super confined. the new Karkov rework reminds me a lot of this map in everything but the city. That said, this map was also like 40% undriveable and the playable area was even smaller than that. plus there was always some moron that took a heavy in the center trench for the lulz. the 8-9-0 line was fun to play on though. cant say much for the rest of it.

South Coast had some interesting games here. the beach was actually viable and the mid was workable if you knew the sight lines for the TD spots. another tiny map. would like to see this back just to see the wheelies run into the buildings and stop dead lol

Stalingrad would have been better if the mini map actually had the barricades on it clearly. the Beach always dictated the fight and the heavies rarely got a say in it. plus arty was always a thing from the rooftop splashes into your cupola. nope

Swamp This map was the definition of WGs "Every map runs counter clockwise" rule of thumb. the north was usualy viable and the mid was a TD clusterfuck. woe to any tank that strayed there.

Windstorm I'd like this back without the bullshit climbs on it. I dont think it would need much to bring it up to speed. maybe more room for the city and mid fight. the lack of cover was nice from camping WTF-100s

I don't know if I really miss any of these maps. Swamp, South Coast and Pearl River were okay to me. Dragon's Ridge is the only one I never played on. Hidden Village was awful, as was Severogorsk in the version before they took it out (it was okay before that). Those two the main ones I would never want to see back. The rest were all meh.

On 12/5/2019 at 2:01 AM, kolni said:

i did like south coast too although the map really had huse design flaws you can compare it to empire or studizanki or minsk and it's a fucking ESL tier map

Don't get me wrong, south coast beach flank was bad. But still served some purpose - the team mates who went there did something rather than nothing. Sort of like Serene coast too, the beach may work, and definitely can scratch out some merit.

But holy fuck overlord. Why do people still flock to the beaches. People STILL do beach, on overlord, where you can basically do nothing 

7 hours ago, Diriz0n said:

People STILL do beach, on overlord, where you can basically do nothing 

Yes, seizing the low ground may seem like a bad tactic on its face. And yes, ensuring my Maus takes half the length of the average game to even have a target to shoot may seem like a waste of DPM. And yes, it takes me about 2 minutes to get back to the high ground after winning the good ol' beach. But what you don't understand is that one time last year I saw a team go beach and then win soundly by flanking the enemy team and getting on cap, and I'm sure if I keep trying enough times I can make that happen again. Also the sound of the waves is calming. 

I found that going beach with a TD to snipe from behind sort of worked. Only did it a couple of times though. Shoot enemies that poke on your heavies in the face. Plenty of HP, straight line of fire, no pesky light tanks. I can see the appeal for farming simulator purposes.

5 hours ago, Tarski said:

Yes, seizing the low ground may seem like a bad tactic on its face. And yes, ensuring my Maus takes half the length of the average game to even have a target to shoot may seem like a waste of DPM. And yes, it takes me about 2 minutes to get back to the high ground after winning the good ol' beach. But what you don't understand is that one time last year I saw a team go beach and then win soundly by flanking the enemy team and getting on cap, and I'm sure if I keep trying enough times I can make that happen again. Also the sound of the waves is calming. 

It's over Tarski! I have the low ground!

On 12/8/2019 at 6:31 AM, Diriz0n said:

Don't get me wrong, south coast beach flank was bad. But still served some purpose - the team mates who went there did something rather than nothing. Sort of like Serene coast too, the beach may work, and definitely can scratch out some merit.

But holy fuck overlord. Why do people still flock to the beaches. People STILL do beach, on overlord, where you can basically do nothing 

nah the beach was unplayably bad, people only went there midgame to backdoor the bases, north spawn had a little too good of a camp right at the base which is pretty problematic since you had to yolo into mid and proxy them to break it unless you won 1 or 0 line

but the map had plenty of options and everything was viable, you could think your way into a good game there like you can on the better maps without taking much risk.. so i sort of miss it, same with the hidden village where you never had a bad game unless you really fucked up and then they are good maps in my mind

nowadays i go beach on overlord if heavy tank or chunky td numbers are over 5 on the enemy team, then you're guaranteed a good game on the beach if you play the beach well.. you want to be where the HP is and bigger HP number tanks tend to go beach 

8 hours ago, kolni said:

nah the beach was unplayably bad, people only went there midgame to backdoor the bases, north spawn had a little too good of a camp right at the base which is pretty problematic since you had to yolo into mid and proxy them to break it unless you won 1 or 0 line

but the map had plenty of options and everything was viable, you could think your way into a good game there like you can on the better maps without taking much risk.. so i sort of miss it, same with the hidden village where you never had a bad game unless you really fucked up and then they are good maps in my mind

nowadays i go beach on overlord if heavy tank or chunky td numbers are over 5 on the enemy team, then you're guaranteed a good game on the beach if you play the beach well.. you want to be where the HP is and bigger HP number tanks tend to go beach 

where is that 8K recent young man :doge:

Has to do with the cover that South Coast had on beach. overlord there isn't much cover, from either arty or suicide cliff divers with lots of gun dep. And how on the beach, you could still do some spotting into middle. It wasn't -so- low ground. Also, the incline wasn't too bad going to caps, meaning your heavy tank or TD did not slow to a 7km/hr crawl going up it to cap flank,  which you do in overlord. 

overlord has the sole advantage though, of routing the really bushed up and redline 4-line campers. Peeking and heading up the ramps towards caps easily spot these TD or meds, even arty - and can even easily proxy them, while not doing the same on south coast. South coast spawn campers are hard to remove, because of the mountain at caps providing solid cover. South coast capping was actually worthwhile, but overlord? Cap is a freakish death sentence. 

4 hours ago, Snoregasm2 said:

Fuck off, really? Did you WOTReplay it or anything? What tank etc?

it was a hellcat game, this was back when you got results in game and not in garage, 5k dmg 3k spot vs tier 8s sitting in a bush with binos and camonet, firing at <300m not getting spotted for the whole game

i literally sat in a bush for 8 minutes