Kymrel

M48 or M60? Help me choose

TL;DR: If you could pick only one tank and currency (silver/bonds) was not an issue, would you go for the M48 or the M60?

I've been grinding out the last few missions for the Chimera and finally finished the Block missions last night. I've been playing the Leo and STB-1 a lot, and found that I really love both tanks. The gun on the Leo is orgasmic and the STB has the gun depression and turret that make it very much my style of a tank.

(I figure I'd love the Progetto 65 more since the Standard B was awesome, but I finished all the missions for that nations group a long time ago so I haven't bought it yet. I tell myself I'm not allowed until I've finished the missions for the Chimera.)

Anyway, now I just need to finish the last US/UK/Polland mission. 6,5k damage. Not an average game for me for sure, but very much doable. I've been trying to complete it using the 60TP and E3, but I'm a medium/light tanker by heart and have trouble getting the damage numbers even close to the target even with 750 alpha. They are just too slow to chase damage and can't relocate. Worst of all, I don't have much fun playing slow tanks trading HE with hull-down or sidescraping heavies.

After having a blast playing the Leo and STB-1 I thought I might either re-buy the M48 Patton (rage-sold it after a bad session, it's been buffed a lot since) or even splurge 15k bonds on the M60 and just play the tank I pick until I get a good game and finish the mission. I figure that if I like the Leo and STB-1 I'll like either of those two. The trick is deciding which tank to go for.

On paper, the difference mostly seems to be that the M48 has a bit of armor while the M60 has more speed and a slightly better gun. The M48 feels a bit slow judging by the max speed, but having a bit of armor makes it more versatile I guess. Both have horrible camo, which will be something I'll have to get used to after playing the Leo and STB-1. I have about 21k bonds and don't mind spending them on the M60 if the tank is more fun to play than the M48, but I wouldn't mind hanging on to the bonds in case something new and awesome comes to the bonds shop.

So, for you guys who have played both tanks, which tank would you recommend, the M48 or M60, and why?

Given bonds are much more valuable than credits, I don't think the difference between the two (M60 being slightly more comfortable) is enough to justify spending the bonds.

The M48 is fine I guess, but you won't enjoy it as much as the Leo (gun/speed) or STB (turret armour/lol DPM).

If you just want the damage and don't care about fun, T57 or Super Conq is the better option, i'd suggest. Either can fall ass backwards into 7k games fairly regularly (say once a session), as they are both so OP in the right situation.

That's one vote for the M48 over the M60, thanks for that.

I agree on the bonds vs. credits, but I've been hording mine since they came to the game (I don't play ranked or clam wars) and am too cheap to spend them on improved equipment. I'd be willing to spend on a fun tank I guess, I can keep them for ever, waiting for the perfect tank to spend them on that never actually comes...

I have the Super Conq in the garage but find it oh so boring. I could buy the T57 (sold that a while ago) but don't think I'd enjoy it as much as playing a good medium tank. The idea is to have fun playing and eventually do the mission.

44 minutes ago, Kymrel said:

That's one vote for the M48 over the M60, thanks for that.

I agree on the bonds vs. credits, but I've been hording mine since they came to the game (I don't play ranked or clam wars) and am too cheap to spend them on improved equipment. I'd be willing to spend on a fun tank I guess, I can keep them for ever, waiting for the perfect tank to spend them on that never actually comes...

I have the Super Conq in the garage but find it oh so boring. I could buy the T57 (sold that a while ago) but don't think I'd enjoy it as much as playing a good medium tank. The idea is to have fun playing and eventually do the mission.

Fair enough. The M48 can be fun, but I find I get frustrated with it's speed and armour that trolls you more than the enemy. The gun is nice and comfortable, but again other tanks have nicer guns. The speed is the real killer though, especially as you don't have pocket heavy armour to compensate. The camo being trash hurts late game too, if you're down to a few left on each team.

To each their own, but Super Conq is very nice to play, particularly with no arty, as you just load APCR, go to the heavy area, hull down/sidescrape and wreck face. You can do it fairly mindlessly, and easily rack up 5k damage fairly zoned out. It's much less situational i guess, although if heavy gameplay triggers you it probably doesn't offset the shitty feeling of playing it. 

Did you get the AE Phase 1? That's very comfortable for a heavy and you get less cancerous MM in tier 9s. EDIT: On that note, just play the M46 - super fun, much better tier for tier than the M48 and the gun with gold is snapshot pens everywhere, at tier 9. One of my favourite tanks.

I did get the Phase 1, but figure I have a better chance of getting the 6,5k on tier 10 with an all-tier 10 and lots of HP going around. I did love the M46 back in the day though....

1 hour ago, Kymrel said:

I did get the Phase 1, but figure I have a better chance of getting the 6,5k on tier 10 with an all-tier 10 and lots of HP going around. I did love the M46 back in the day though....

If your only goal is missions I'd say M60. Higher speed makes it easier to rack up late game clean up damage. Also m60 is closer to Leo1 in terms of playstyle. Lower top speed but same hp/t, better soft stats with slightly lower acc. m48 will be more consistent but m60 will have higher max potential imho. 

Perhaps what it will come down to is that once the mission is done the M60 will be similar to the Leo while the M48 will have a somewhat unique position in the garage. Thinking...

Guess the question is, if nationality isn't an issue (for missions) would I ever pick the M60 over the Leo? With the super-comfortable 440 alpha on the Leo I doubt it. But then I've got the 279(e) missions to go (but am far from sure I'm good enough to ever finish them).

Well. In the end I went with the M48, purely because it offers a different kind of gameplay to the Leo, whereas the M60 might be a little too close. It took all of three games to get the mission done, in a Grand Battle, sniping like a little bitch. Sadly not with honors, so I might keep it on and try to do it with honors later.