Diriz0n

Faster tier 8 heavy meta

Before I start, I will point out I am excluding FCM and AMX, the really fast ones more like meds.

I just want to say, a fast meta lineup of tier 8 heavy tanks are real recent things. Certainly unlike tier X, where fast heavies have existed for ages.  EMil '51, Rene, E75TS  -  are all tanks from the last 6 months. Tanks like AMX65T, Patriot, Caernarvon AX are also somewhat speedy, compared to peer heavy tanks, and are relatively new too. At least compared to tech tree counterparts, like T32 and Caernarvon. If you have been playing since the early years, you would think of faster tier 8 heavy tanks like VK45A, or IS3. Those are slow, compared to these new ones. 

It is hard to sell slow tanks. Super Pershing? Buffed so it is not as slow, Lowe too. RAAC is quite more mobile than Cent 1, and so is T1LPC compared to T95E2 or 59 Patton. WZ111 has also become alot faster. Years ago, if something like VK75 were released, it would have been released exactly like that fat snail Brecher, but not these days. E75TS was buffed last second, to becoming a fast heavy. With the same thinking, Caernarvon AX and Pat, could have easily just been released as sluggish T32/Caernarvon. Chrysler K, has super strong terrain resistances, track traverse, HP/T for a heavy, basically unheard of prior to '17. 5OTP Proto is also quite mobile. And something like T-1O3? That shitbox isn't a SU1OOY for sure, its faster than most people think. 

Speed sells. It would be interesting to see another tier 8 clan wars series, fighting over IS5/Kres/Chieftain again. I wonder what the meta would be, defenders or fast heavies

42 minutes ago, Diriz0n said:

Speed sells. It would be interesting to see another tier 8 clan wars series, fighting over IS5/Kres/Chieftain again. I wonder what the meta would be, defenders or fast heavies

Probably Defenders and Progettos. A clan wars at tier 8 would be almost all premium tanks and probably pretty boring. If WG did something crazy like allow only tech tree tanks people might have to think up actual tactics and not just "throw Defenders and shit at them" or "camp with SU-130s and Skorpions." i would love to actually fight over what are essentially meme machines tho, fighting over OP tier 10 death machines is probably more motivating for most people but I love trash.

Yeah I remember getting all excited when the new French HT line was gonna drop because they looked really interesting on paper [also because I could actually put the Mle 49 crew in something], but then I realized that the 65t was BIZARRELY slow for the P/W it has, and then I completely stopped grinding the entire line until WG super-buffed the WOT premium account with the 3x multipliers and stuff.

To your point though, I've noticed this too.
Like, 20kmph was always a REALLY bad speed, but it feels even worse now when the Turtle MK1 and Mauerbrecher are still stuck being that slow while even the T28 and TS-5 are somehow going faster.

*this is also one of the reasons I felt like the JT88 was underrated for a really long time when comparing it to other slow assault-type TD's at that tier.

12 minutes ago, Tupinambis said:

Yeah I remember getting all excited when the new French HT line was gonna drop because they looked really interesting on paper [also because I could actually put the Mle 49 crew in something], but then I realized that the 65t was BIZARRELY slow for the P/W it has, and then I completely stopped grinding the entire line until WG super-buffed the WOT premium account with the 3x multipliers and stuff.

To your point though, I've noticed this too.
Like, 20kmph was always a REALLY bad speed, but it feels even worse now when the Turtle MK1 and Mauerbrecher are still stuck being that slow while even the T28 and TS-5 are somehow going faster.

*this is also one of the reasons I felt like the JT88 was underrated for a really long time when comparing it to other slow assault-type TD's at that tier.

Speed creep is even more visible in higher tiers t9-t10. Overall speed is a big factor in what created steamrolls. It's harder to punish the enemy team if they yolo you. 

1 hour ago, hazzgar said:

Speed creep is even more visible in higher tiers t9-t10. Overall speed is a big factor in what created steamrolls. It's harder to punish the enemy team if they yolo you. 

I was pretty obvious in the "Classic" WoT sandbox test -- the driving was all uphill, in January, stuck in molasses (well compared to current speeds)

23 hours ago, hazzgar said:

Amx 65T Faster? Sorry but

23 hours ago, lavawing said:

Dude 65T has fucked soft stats and also hidden soft stats that make it even slower than the M4 49

17 hours ago, Tupinambis said:

but then I realized that the 65t was BIZARRELY slow for the P/W it has

I have run speed trials with my IS5, WZ111  -  using my brother and a former clan member, vs an AMX65T. This was likened to seeing Scorpiany do tier X tests of HP/T vs terrain resistances, using high tier vehicles. Being a vehicle commonly complained about for being fat and slow, I wanted to see what was the real deal. Clan mate was elite but using 2nd gun on 65T, like M4 49 and lorraine, providing it slightly more HP/T compared to top alpha gun. Crews were using +Vents and had +BIA. No food. First test was on hard paved surface, Widepark main road until overpass bridge, K2-D2. Second test was across the center of studzianka field, G3-G7. 

0n widepark, 65T actually won. Seems you don't really miss a beat if you have got a paved surface. Despite WZ111 and IS5 higher top speed, which apparently won't get to on flat ground. My brother also decided to test WZ111-14 and T1O with the results, T1O is much quicker. 

Studzianka was very different. AMX65T had the most trouble compared to WZ111 and IS5, the grass really ailed it, and the E5 trench crossing and creek was slow. Here is a good example of terrain stats fucking up a tank, with HP/T doing actually little to correct it. It was interesting though how it didn't really take effect on pavement, despite high numbers. 

Conclusion:

There is a retarded perception, that people think it was supposed to have been as fast as AMX-Hundo or FCM5OT. Which is just stupid to think. Don't play it stock either. Alot of people I have heard stories from, ground out the tank, with only AC48 engine which is shared, the 85OHP module, thinking it would be enough, and using stock tracks. Well there is your fucking problem, you just shave off 4HP/T on your tank, and then you call it a fat ass?  Drive your 65T elite, keep it on roads or dirt, it is more mobile than people think it is. 

1 hour ago, Diriz0n said:

I have run speed trials with my IS5, WZ111  -  using my brother and a former clan member, vs an AMX65T. This was likened to seeing Scorpiany do tier X tests of HP/T vs terrain resistances, using high tier vehicles. Being a vehicle commonly complained about for being fat and slow, I wanted to see what was the real deal. Clan mate was elite but using 2nd gun on 65T, like M4 49 and lorraine, providing it slightly more HP/T compared to top alpha gun. Crews were using +Vents and had +BIA. No food. First test was on hard paved surface, Widepark main road until overpass bridge, K2-D2. Second test was across the center of studzianka field, G3-G7. 

0n widepark, 65T actually won. Seems you don't really miss a beat if you have got a paved surface. Despite WZ111 and IS5 higher top speed, which apparently won't get to on flat ground. My brother also decided to test WZ111-14 and T1O with the results, T1O is much quicker. 

Studzianka was very different. AMX65T had the most trouble compared to WZ111 and IS5, the grass really ailed it, and the E5 trench crossing and creek was slow. Here is a good example of terrain stats fucking up a tank, with HP/T doing actually little to correct it. It was interesting though how it didn't really take effect on pavement, despite high numbers. 

Conclusion:

There is a retarded perception, that people think it was supposed to have been as fast as AMX-Hundo or FCM5OT. Which is just stupid to think. Don't play it stock either. Alot of people I have heard stories from, ground out the tank, with only AC48 engine which is shared, the 85OHP module, thinking it would be enough, and using stock tracks. Well there is your fucking problem, you just shave off 4HP/T on your tank, and then you call it a fat ass?  Drive your 65T elite, keep it on roads or dirt, it is more mobile than people think it is. 

I have tested the 65T against the M4 49, the IS7 against the 277, the 130 PM and the Skorp. In all three pairs the latter is faster than the former despite having comparable terrain stats and HP/T.

Long story short, terrain resistances and HP/T are not the only factors behind speed and acceleration. Gear ratios exist. And acceleration is not even.

In the 65T's case its acceleration at both the 0-10 range and 30+ range are fucked. 

On 12/14/2019 at 10:10 AM, Diriz0n said:

Conclusion:

No. The perception is not "retarded". Yes Amx 65T is not slow on hard ground but hard terrain takes a very small % of the maps. Unless you are in a 100% city map you still have to drive through medium or soft to get to hard terrain.